MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best pick up lines killza Dating & Relationships 56 10-09-2010 12:15 AM
Question about where the TAs will picket if there's a strike Kathy2 General Discussion 162 11-03-2009 05:09 PM
Resume Question hamnahx02 General Discussion 7 08-23-2009 03:05 PM
Resume Padding temara.brown General Discussion 9 08-02-2009 01:03 PM
Resume Writing Workshop Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 09-23-2007 10:32 PM

The picket lines resume

Old 11-02-2009 at 03:32 PM   #31
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Apparently someone ran through a barricade near cootes the barricade hit a CUPE protester and the CUPE protester had to be taken to the hospital. Then the Student tried to run past the police barrier; had to be stopped at gunpoint by Hamilton police and then dragged from his Car by gunpoint :S
Was this at the Cootes entrance?...none of this happened...my window in Keyes is right ontop of the barricade and nothing like that happened...He just went a little past the barricade(which was stupid of him)...nobody was hurt...no ambulance was called...no guns were pointed...the man was arrested for his stupidity...GUYS DO NOT HARM THE PICKETERS...they are super annoying and well being dumb and blasting music towards a student residence to attract attention...I am very upset CUPE chooses to disturb us students trying to work and get through this strike...for shame...if your reading this CUPE( i doubt you are, your very self centered) TURN OFF that music...I need to get work done, because of your strike my prof has moved deadlines up so he can get the work marked..geeez...ok rant over

daisy, kleung all say thanks to Scrub for this post.
Old 11-02-2009 at 03:32 PM   #32
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by talues View Post
The environmental impact?

The strike has caused more people to walk, take the bus or find other means to campus in order to avoid the pickets. Those who do choose to drive (unfortunately, I am one of those who has to drive) can turn their engines off while they wait for the picketers to let them through.

As for the buses detouring, I do not know the new changed routes. That being said, I highly doubt the environmental impact due to their detours offsets the fact that less people are driving.

This entire thread is one giant troll if you ask me... which begs the question, why am I responding against my better judgement? I don't know....

Sorry, save for the initial post (it is actually informative)
If this is your better judgement I'd hate to see your stupidities.

Usually those that use vehicular transportation that gives off CO2 don't live near campus, hence the need to use such modes of transportation.

... are you the one that wrote the "fact" sheets for CUPE?
Old 11-02-2009 at 03:37 PM   #33
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Hmm :S Hence I used the word "apparently" Because it was told to me by someone in the MSU.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 11-02-2009 at 03:37 PM   #34
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
Was this at the Cootes entrance?...none of this happened...my window in Keyes is right ontop of the barricade and nothing like that happened...He just went a little past the barricade(which was stupid of him)...nobody was hurt...no ambulance was called...no guns were pointed...the man was arrested for his stupidity...GUYS DO NOT HARM THE PICKETERS...they are super annoying and well being dumb and blasting music towards a student residence to attract attention...I am very upset CUPE chooses to disturb us students trying to work and get through this strike...for shame...if your reading this CUPE( i doubt you are, your very self centered) TURN OFF that music...I need to get work done, because of your strike my prof has moved deadlines up so he can get the work marked..geeez...ok rant over
So much for all the "we're not trying to inconvenience students, we're trying to inconvenience the admin!".
Old 11-02-2009 at 03:39 PM   #35
WekSos

Liked: 24 Times

I guess it's time to invest in a compressor and a train horn
Old 11-02-2009 at 03:45 PM   #36
Scrub
Original "G"

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Hmm :S Hence I used the word "apparently" Because it was told to me by someone in the MSU.

ahha thats fine...my anger(if it seems like im angry ) is towards CUPE..not you..so allegations have been put to rest...

THEY STILL wont turn off the music even after I went down there and told them to pipe down..i dislike this
Old 11-02-2009 at 03:54 PM   #37
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
it will be up until they stop blasting music while I try to do WORK...unlike them
What kind of music does one play at a strike?

Also LOL at the pictures. Clearly CUPE has HUGE support from their membership for this strike.
Old 11-02-2009 at 03:59 PM   #38
talues

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
If this is your better judgement I'd hate to see your stupidities.

Usually those that use vehicular transportation that gives off CO2 don't live near campus, hence the need to use such modes of transportation.

... are you the one that wrote the "fact" sheets for CUPE?
Nopers. I'm just a TA. I hold no special position in CUPE. I just have hold strong views on the matter.

And I am one of those who don't live near campus and must drive.
Old 11-02-2009 at 03:59 PM   #39
tmtoulouse

Liked: 18 Times

I have been monitoring the strike today as a final piece of information in making my own decisions. The picketing is where the "rubber meets the road" and it seems clear that the membership is not supporting the union leadership.

I was particularly interested in the fact that they were using picketers that were not TAs and were general "supporters" to shore up numbers at the Sterling entrance.

daisy says thanks to tmtoulouse for this post.

Taunton likes this.
Old 11-02-2009 at 04:01 PM   #40
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
What kind of music does one play at a strike?

Also LOL at the pictures. Clearly CUPE has HUGE support from their membership for this strike.

I heard american idiot being played.... hmmmm
Old 11-02-2009 at 04:01 PM   #41
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
ahha thats fine...my anger(if it seems like im angry ) is towards CUPE..not you..so allegations have been put to rest...

THEY STILL wont turn off the music even after I went down there and told them to pipe down..i dislike this
Also, I think you should see how many people facing the barricade want to put up posters! I think if you got a lot, it would be really awesome (Hey you might even make the news!)

daisy, Taunton like this.
Old 11-02-2009 at 04:08 PM   #42
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
I heard american idiot being played.... hmmmm
Oh geez.
Old 11-02-2009 at 04:11 PM   #43
Scrub
Original "G"

oh boy...after my complaints..they choose to play there music louder!...what a bunch of asses i mean I complained in a civil manner and no stoppage...i hate them..ALSO they are playing music by the Beatles (my favourite band)..but they are using good music to cover up their dirty picketing etiquette...SRA i am formally complaining here..now run with it
Old 11-02-2009 at 04:13 PM   #44
sew12
Elite Member

Someone should go down and see if they can find out how many of the picketers are actual TAs?

Someone up thread said some of them are not even union members and just general supporters, whatever that means.

The pickets already have pathetic numbers, the fact that not even all of them are actual union members just makes it even lamer.
Old 11-02-2009 at 04:16 PM   #45
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I don't mean this to be offensive, but this whole thing is so pathetic. With a union of 2,700, aren't they embarassed by how few people are picketing? Don't they realize it's probably not in the union members' best interests to keep picketing since NONE OF THEM ARE PICKETING?

It's so stupid..

No wonder McMaster isn't giving in to their demands. Why would Mac give into this crap when only like 20 people actually care about it?

That's REALLY ignorant that they are blaring music by the residence. If you asked them nicely to turn it down so you can do homework and they ignore you, complain to someone at the school. They are allowed to picket but they aren't allowed to be complete assho1es like this.