MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
New Strike ! L'Étoile Residence & Housing 129 01-14-2011 07:01 PM
Strike? ~*Sara*~ Residence & Housing 95 10-14-2010 10:19 PM
Looks like the strike is over. michelle General Discussion 46 11-11-2009 09:17 AM
how likely is the strike? secretone General Discussion 113 10-31-2009 11:57 AM
Strike manaya General Discussion 158 09-23-2009 05:55 PM

Possible HSR Strike

HSR employees voted 94% in favor of a strike, possible on Jan 30th, depending on how talks between the City and the Union go on the 24th.

Apparently, HSR employees have been without a contract for over a year

http://www.thespec.com/opinion/colum...inter-boots-on

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...ised-to-strike

The union has set up a website here: http://whereisthebus.ca/

What do you guys think??
Published by
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 01-19-2012 at 08:19 PM   #2
hungdaddy
Year: Fourth

Liked: 22 Times
thats it, im telling their bosses that they always stop to go to tim hortons. why not quit and find another job if they're upset? someone else wouldn't mind their job. instead they're going to disrupt everyone elses lives. and that really grinds my gears

Giygas, icecubz, megha, sayok8737 like this.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 01-19-2012 at 08:21 PM   #3
Jessicaaaa
Program: Law and Anthropology
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 42 Times
every. fricken. year.

Old 01-19-2012 at 08:28 PM   #4
anon491
Professional Fangirl
Faculty: Science

Liked: 452 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungdaddy View Post
thats it, im telling their bosses that they always stop to go to tim hortons. why not quit and find another job if they're upset? someone else wouldn't mind their job. instead they're going to disrupt everyone elses lives. and that really grinds my gears
........considering that they drive for so many hours straight with no breaks, I don't care if they stop to grab a coffee or go to the bathroom. Consider how many city workers take extended watercooler or coffee breaks instead of getting their work done, and still get paid really well. Some of the basic things the HSR workers want is just to have the same benefits as the other city workers. And why shouldn't they?

anyway: this will be really inconvenient for those of us living in non-downtown hamilton x|

Old 01-19-2012 at 08:28 PM   #5
ikantsepll
J's Prince
Program: Honours Biology
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 607 Times
"Welcome to our website."

Is it just me, or is that video/website a little... terroristy. I guess the beard doesn't help.

Also, wooo mills/student-center allnighter time -__-

IqzFendi likes this.
Old 01-19-2012 at 08:33 PM   #6
hungdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
........considering that they drive for so many hours straight with no breaks, I don't care if they stop to grab a coffee or go to the bathroom. Consider how many city workers take extended watercooler or coffee breaks instead of getting their work done, and still get paid really well. Some of the basic things the HSR workers want is just to have the same benefits as the other city workers. And why shouldn't they?
im sure their manager doesnt given them any breaks. why shouldnt the have the same benefits? cause theyre driving a freaken bus. not a phsyically or mentally demanding job. how many people who take the hsr to get to work who grind their gears everyday are now gonna have no way of getting there? oh wait, u didnt think about joe plumber. you only think of joe bus driver who's main responsibility in life is telling people to move to the back. and thats what really grinds my gears
Old 01-19-2012 at 08:34 PM   #7
J. Dorey
Elite Member
Program: Honours Cultural Studies and Critical Theory and English
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 169 Times
Quote:
I, personally, don't mind the breaks as much as I do the total jerks that you get. Half of the time, the majority of the drivers don't even make an attempt to crack a smile, let alone look at you! There are the random nice ones, but it seems like they are getting so few and far between.

Anyways, if this isn't resolved, I really don't know how I'll get to school, considering it's a 45 minute - 1 hour bus ride for me every day...

anon491 likes this.
Old 01-19-2012 at 08:37 PM   #8
nomchock
Program: Business

Liked: 31 Times
many hours with no breaks? really? on the 16 in ancaster the driver will re-cuperate at the end of the route for ~10 minutes per route(excluding the rush time of 6-10am and 3-5pm). i'm not saying this is un-neccessary(i dont think anyone could drive for 8+ hours a day 5 days a week for very long) but let's not be dishonest.

on another note, i wonder why don't unions organize by city instead of trade as it stands now? it doesnt make sense for the city to be constantly negotiating contracts for a different sect of workers when they could just make one big "hamilton city worker union" instead of job A union, job B union etc etc ?
Old 01-19-2012 at 08:38 PM   #9
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
im sure their manager doesnt given them any breaks. why shouldnt the have the same benefits? cause theyre driving a freaken bus. not a phsyically or mentally demanding job. how many people who take the hsr to get to work who grind their gears everyday are now gonna have no way of getting there? oh wait, u didnt think about joe plumber. you only think of joe bus driver who's main responsibility in life is telling people to move to the back. and thats what really grinds my gears
so you're saying that overtime for bus drivers isn't the same as overtime for office workers/other city employees? or that being harassed by passengers/dealing with poor drivers all day isn't as mentally tiring?
Obviously a lot of people will suffer from a strike, but it's the CITY's fault for not taking negotiations seriously for the past year. It's the city's responsibility to deal with its workers so the general public doesn't have to face these kinds of situations.

Amaryll says thanks to anon491 for this post.

Amaryll likes this.
Old 01-19-2012 at 08:40 PM   #10
anon491
Professional Fangirl

btw guys, by many hours with no breaks, CLEARLY I don't know about every single route, geez. Not every single driver is a shining example of a tireless worker, obviously. But there are many who do work hard and make everyone's day just a little better.

Old 01-19-2012 at 08:43 PM   #11
fernancb
Program: Biology
Year: Third

Liked: Liked 4 Times
Does anyone else notice the pattern here... Hospitality services, Canada post, Possible GO bus strike (that never happened), HSR...

Ah, the life of a university student, dependent on so many others

Afzal, icecubz, peanuts, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 01-19-2012 at 08:44 PM   #12
hungdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
so you're saying that overtime for bus drivers isn't the same as overtime for office workers/other city employees? or that being harassed by passengers/dealing with poor drivers all day isn't as mentally tiring?
Obviously a lot of people will suffer from a strike, but it's the CITY's fault for not taking negotiations seriously for the past year. It's the city's responsibility to deal with its workers so the general public doesn't have to face these kinds of situations.
okay guy, this is america love it or leave it. nobody made these people become bus drivers. and nobody is making them stay bus drivers. they should all just grow a pair and quit, instead of making other people's lives harder.

sam_akbari likes this.
Old 01-19-2012 at 08:49 PM   #13
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
okay guy, this is america love it or leave it. nobody made these people become bus drivers. and nobody is making them stay bus drivers. they should all just grow a pair and quit, instead of making other people's lives harder.
looool, I'm pretty sure the last time I checked, I was a girl, this was Canada, and something called "unions" existed.

Eternal Fire says thanks to anon491 for this post.

Old 01-19-2012
hungdaddy
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-19-2012 at 08:52 PM   #14
BlakeM
Elite Member
Program: Mechanical Engineering

Liked: 121 Times
Quote:
...theyre driving a freaken bus. not a phsyically or mentally demanding job
Having driven multiple times for up to 8 hours, including breaks, all I can say is WTF?

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search