MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
New Strike ! L'Étoile Residence & Housing 129 01-14-2011 07:01 PM
Strike? ~*Sara*~ Residence & Housing 95 10-14-2010 10:19 PM
Looks like the strike is over. michelle General Discussion 46 11-11-2009 09:17 AM
how likely is the strike? secretone General Discussion 113 10-31-2009 11:57 AM
Strike manaya General Discussion 158 09-23-2009 05:55 PM

Possible HSR Strike

Old 01-21-2012 at 06:50 PM   #45
RyanC
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 2,314 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_akbari View Post
wait wait wait. HOLD YOUR HORSES....if they go on strike, will it be alternate-employed shifts where they don't come for a very long time or is it like they just bail out and no busses at all O_O because if thats the case...its a 2 hour walk for me everyday ....
It sounds like no busses running at all, so the only busses running would be the ones driven by... 'scabs'(?). No idea if part time employees can be in unions, which is part of what the full time bus drivers are ticked at... the city hiring random part timers instead of paying regulars overtime.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 01-21-2012 at 08:32 PM   #46
Andrew A
Elite Member
Program: Computer Science
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 80 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_akbari View Post
wait wait wait. HOLD YOUR HORSES....if they go on strike, will it be alternate-employed shifts where they don't come for a very long time or is it like they just bail out and no busses at all O_O because if thats the case...its a 2 hour walk for me everyday ....
Yea... I already have 8-10 hour days on-campus, I don't want to be walking two hours each way as well. I don't know how I'm supposed to handle being out of the house for 12-14 hours with a maximum of one one hour break during the day (6 classes + part time job on campus) and still get things done
Old 01-21-2012 at 08:42 PM   #47
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
I don't know how municipal unions work, but the government might force them back to work if they decide to strike. Most people assumed this would happen if the GO drivers went on strike (but the GO buses are used by way more people than HSR)
Old 01-21-2012 at 09:05 PM   #48
husayn12
Account Disabled by User
Faculty: Health Sciences
Year: First

Liked: 25 Times
Please people. Bus driving is not a very difficult job. Sure people will start trolling me and say 'Well have you ever driven long distances before?!?!?!?!'. Personally no, but I have had the privilege to travel many places around the world and see many peoples work conditions. Trust me, bus driving is a walk in the park compared to that.
Now I'm not trying to say that the drivers don't deserve a fair shake, but the point is no one is forcing them to drive. It's their job ... they should be happy to have it. If they want to go on strike and demand more money or whatever else they want, then sure it's their right. But they shouldn't complain that their work conditions are terrible ... that's what irks me.

hungdaddy, Reddishh all say thanks to husayn12 for this post.

muons, Reddishh like this.
Old 01-22-2012 at 09:52 PM   #49
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.
Program: ???
Residence: ???

Liked: 611 Times
2009: TAs and RAs
2010: HSR, Hospitality (2011?)

Last edited by britb : 01-22-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-22-2012 at 11:04 PM   #50
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by husayn12 View Post
Please people. Bus driving is not a very difficult job. Sure people will start trolling me and say 'Well have you ever driven long distances before?!?!?!?!'. Personally no, but I have had the privilege to travel many places around the world and see many peoples work conditions. Trust me, bus driving is a walk in the park compared to that.
Now I'm not trying to say that the drivers don't deserve a fair shake, but the point is no one is forcing them to drive. It's their job ... they should be happy to have it. If they want to go on strike and demand more money or whatever else they want, then sure it's their right. But they shouldn't complain that their work conditions are terrible ... that's what irks me.
Their concerns have nothing to do with work conditions, read the issues instead of just assuming like a dillhole, based on random comments. Not that this is a big deal, but if you act like this for a simple topic like this, imagine how many other ignorant frustrated people there will be out there should this emerge as an important topic (tick tock, jan 30th).

Most of their issues have to do with keeping their work on parity with other unionized city jobs such as adjusting wage with inflation, rewarding being a long-time employee, benefits extending to family longer when employee is deceased, among others.
Old 01-22-2012 at 11:23 PM  
hungdaddy

Liked: 22 Times
MacInsiders Notice
This comment has been flagged as inappropriate or not adhering to our Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Old 01-22-2012 at 11:34 PM   #51
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungdaddy View Post
oh hello "ryan c", we meet again. and your still sticking up for the bus drivers. maybe one of your parents is a bus driver?? lol. why did you call this young student a dillhole for voicing his opinion? maybe he should apologize for not wanting to walk to school? how many more questions do i have to ask you? the bus drivers are completely wrong in this situation. people depend on the hsr for their jobs etc. the post office were "dillholes" for going on strike, but nobody was stuggling to go to work or school because they couldnt get their mail. the bus drivers should be fined by the city/government for striking, or they should quit. they should be responsible for their own lives, finding a job that has the benefits they want, and not being a pimple on hamiltons behind. not everyone sees this as a simple topic, almighty "ryan c". maybe us students should flood their union office for a couple days??? i think its off of upper ottawa, maybe even the school could bus students there..... but then again if its not for football, mac seems to be on a tight budget
Too tired to read that mush of poorly formatted words

Eternal Fire likes this.
Old 01-22-2012 at 11:39 PM  
hungdaddy

Liked: 22 Times
MacInsiders Notice
This comment has been flagged as inappropriate or not adhering to our Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Old 01-23-2012 at 05:08 AM   #52
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungdaddy View Post
in other words i win right? thank you! ive been waiting for this moment my entire life!!!! ps. i know u read every word twice ryan! i win!!!! strike averted!
Pretty much, the citizens of Hamilton thank you and are forever in your debt.
Old 01-23-2012 at 11:35 AM   #53
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled
Program: Psychology & English
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 325 Times
You don't understand what it's like to be a bus driver until you actually experience it..

I am close with someone who is a bus driver, and believe me, it ain't easy.

If you happen to be running late, what happens? Passengers get on and b!tch at you, call you blind, disrespect you, and so on.

People get on, have NO idea where they are going, and expect you to know the exact location of the place they're trying to get to, and expect you to know which bus takes you where.... you're not a freakin' map

If you are running late, you miss your break.
So, you're driving for hours and hours and hours and you can't even stop to piss or get a coffee. I don't mind if they do that, they're only human and it's by no means easy.
Imagine having a UTI and having to drive nonstop? I'd literally piss myself.

Not to mention the *******s that try to sneak on, the people who call you names, those who throw shit at busses or give you the finger, or those who are visibly angry and rude to you just because you didn't stop DIRECTLY in front of where they were standing, & the list goes on.

And what about when the bus is packed, and people go stand at the back door? and you're like MOVE BACK PLEASE but the people have music in their ears and don't even hear you when you say hi when they walk on the bus

or when they get on, and they say "hello" and they ignore you

+ you're doing all this while trying to be a good driver and follow the schedule & not kill anyone

It's physically and emotionally draining, and I try to be as nice to them as I can, to make their day a little bit better

Old 01-23-2012 at 12:21 PM   #54
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist
Program: Physics & Astronomy
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 313 Times
calm down people. Bus drivers are bus drivers.... they aren't theoretical physicists or burger flippers. If a job makes you good money who cares how easy/pathetic/hard/rewarding a job is.
Old 01-23-2012 at 02:36 PM   #55
EngStud
Program: Electrical & Computer Engineering
Year: Second

Liked: 30 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
It's physically and emotionally draining, and I try to be as nice to them as I can, to make their day a little bit better
Who cares, they get paid pretty well for driving a bus around.

This is a good example of people fixing something that isn't broken. Go to China and look at workers efforts for barely 1$ a day (ex: Foxconn). They don't complain because there is no other job or very few jobs for them and they can't make unions... it's a criminal activity in Capitalist China

If these folks aren't happy with a well paying job, well the bus company can always hire immigrants, pay them and train them for less money.

If those bus drivers got paid 11$/hour for what they're doing, I would agree with their strike...

But they do get some benefits and a good pay.

Of course people like RyanC (who btw complains about "First world Problems" ) who live near Downtown area or students living in Westdale aren't really affected. It's people commuting from the Mountain area and beyond. It's also the elderly, handicapped folks and single moms who would be affected the most by a strike.

The City could have avoided this strike if they didn't waste money building a stadium...

Last edited by EngStud : 01-23-2012 at 03:00 PM.

julianface likes this.
Old 01-23-2012 at 03:01 PM   #56
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngStud View Post
Who cares, they get paid pretty well for driving a bus around.

This is a good example of a first world problem. Go to China and look at workers efforts for barely 1$ a day (ex: Foxconn). They don't complain because there is no other job or very few jobs for them and they can't make unions... it's a criminal activity in Capitalist China
Yes but what makes our quality of life the way it is, is the ability to negotiate for the fair employment practices, and how we treat people who continue to provide quality service. You shouldn't be arguing that just because jobs aren't as abundant as they historically were is an excuse to decrease job security and treat employees like crap.. should we throw out our idea of fairness, and downsize to the lowest bidder of the job market?

Quote:
If these folks aren't happy with a well paying job, well the bus company can always hire immigrants, pay them and train them for less money.

If those bus drivers got paid 11$/hour for what they're doing, I would agree with their strike...

But they do get some benefits and a good pay.
Whats your point? Public services should be subject to the corporate bottom line? Theres a reason why positions of employment such as this tend towards unionization; people get good at what they do and take pride in it, and with that comes rewards. The thing about what you say about 'if they got paid 11$/hour' is that unless a solid, fair contract is in place for a number of years that outlines the terms/benefits of employment, theres nothing stopping the employer (the city) to arbitrarily make cuts in order to balance their budget.

Quote:
Of course people like RyanC who live near Downtown area or students living in Westdale aren't really affected. It's people commuting from the Mountain area and beyond.
Of course I'm affected; I really hate the time I waste commuting, and adding another hour to that is one less free hour for me to study... this is a red herring anyways. I know this will make it impossible for some people to get to school in a timely fashion. I'll probably ***** too if by the time it happens its too cold for me to bike to school.
Old 01-23-2012 at 03:22 PM   #57
Reddishh

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Yes but what makes our quality of life the way it is, is the ability to negotiate for the fair employment practices, and how we treat people who continue to provide quality service. You shouldn't be arguing that just because jobs aren't as abundant as they historically were is an excuse to decrease job security and treat employees like crap.. should we throw out our idea of fairness, and downsize to the lowest bidder of the job market?
Well I can tell that they can also do much better with their job. Some drivers use to yell at students and mistreat us. But most importantly, thet definately don't drive safely. They accelerate and deccelerate real quickly and people standing up can't stay still and I always get headache after riding on a bus. They also begin accelerating way before passengers sit on their seat. And of course their frequent coffee breaks frustrate me often.

I mean, there are always ways to complain things but you sometimes have to just accept it. And strike isn't definately the best option. So it seems to me that RyanC only looks from drivers' perspective and fails to think from students perspectives.

Last edited by jhan523 : 01-25-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search