MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
New Strike ! L'Étoile Residence & Housing 129 01-14-2011 07:01 PM
Strike? ~*Sara*~ Residence & Housing 95 10-14-2010 10:19 PM
Looks like the strike is over. michelle General Discussion 46 11-11-2009 09:17 AM
how likely is the strike? secretone General Discussion 113 10-31-2009 11:57 AM
Strike manaya General Discussion 158 09-23-2009 05:55 PM

Possible HSR Strike

Old 01-19-2012 at 11:08 PM   #30
person33
Program: Political Science
Year: Third

Liked: 53 Times
hopefully wont be like yrt strike, thats been going on forever
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 01-20-2012 at 08:42 AM   #31
anonanon987
Power Abuser
Program: Business Informatics
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 461 Times
A HSR strike would suck. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
Old 01-20-2012 at 10:41 AM   #32
lt93
Program: Life Science

Liked: 69 Times
Coming from Toronto I am all too familiar with transit strikes. Luckily though they just recently made the TTC an essential service but of course that makes more sense in a bigger city. I really hope the strike doesn't happen but I can't believe people are saying that if the bus drivers don't like it they should just quit!
Old 01-20-2012 at 12:09 PM   #33
Ems467
Faculty: Science
Year: Alumni

Liked: 7 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungdaddy View Post
im sure their manager doesnt given them any breaks. why shouldnt the have the same benefits? cause theyre driving a freaken bus. not a phsyically or mentally demanding job. how many people who take the hsr to get to work who grind their gears everyday are now gonna have no way of getting there? oh wait, u didnt think about joe plumber. you only think of joe bus driver who's main responsibility in life is telling people to move to the back. and thats what really grinds my gears
"Not a physically or mentally demanding job"? Have you ever driven long distance? It's one thing to be angry about a potential strike, and something else completely different to demean people's jobs that they need for their and their family's livelihood.

nerual, terrafirma like this.
Old 01-20-2012 at 12:21 PM   #34
Kathy2
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 529 Times
I want to give them sympathy, because I can only imagine how crummy it is to be an HSR driver.

But on the other hand, there have been so many strikes lately, and I need to HSR to get to school. I take the HSR then the GO bus, and I have to go to Mississauga, so driving/biking/carpooling is simply not an option for me. I'll be really screwed if they go on strike..

I go to college now (after graduating Mac), and I can't skip class like I did in university. I lose marks for every class I don't attend, and there are 3 classes per day. I don't know what I'll do! :/

Last edited by Kathy2 : 01-20-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2012 at 12:45 PM   #35
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times
Having read their concerns, and and current proposal of the city, I fully support this strike. HSR drivers are actually pretty timid to some of the TTC drivers of Toronto, LOL. I'm of course concerned that this will have a huge impact on the economic and academic activity, but I think its important for people to experience what its like to 'be without'.

When it actually comes to my education/classes though, I can say with full certainty that the time I would have spent in lectures, I can devote more efficiently to studying... (although thats mostly because of the good and bad aspects of my current profs...ie. awesome lecture notes and aweful lecturers on both sides)

tldr: There are valid concerns for HSR employees, and I suggest everyone inform themselves on this issue (both sides) and reflect on not only the complexity of this all, but on how dependant you are...

Afzal likes this.
Old 01-20-2012 at 02:28 PM   #36
J. Dorey
Elite Member
Program: Honours Cultural Studies and Critical Theory and English
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 169 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Having read their concerns, and and current proposal of the city, I fully support this strike. HSR drivers are actually pretty timid to some of the TTC drivers of Toronto, LOL. I'm of course concerned that this will have a huge impact on the economic and academic activity, but I think its important for people to experience what its like to 'be without'.

When it actually comes to my education/classes though, I can say with full certainty that the time I would have spent in lectures, I can devote more efficiently to studying... (although thats mostly because of the good and bad aspects of my current profs...ie. awesome lecture notes and aweful lecturers on both sides)

tldr: There are valid concerns for HSR employees, and I suggest everyone inform themselves on this issue (both sides) and reflect on not only the complexity of this all, but on how dependant you are...
This would work, but what about tutorials that are taken for participation marks? That's a whole new situation.
Old 01-20-2012 at 03:07 PM   #37
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dorey View Post
This would work, but what about tutorials that are taken for participation marks? That's a whole new situation.
I think there will be a lot of restructuring should the bus system get cut off... moving things like that to online? Honestly it would seem to cut out >50% of the student population base. The only people who won't be insanely mad would be people living within a kilometre of Mac and all the res students.

So its not even a matter of adjusting your how you study or learn, it would seem that it would unreasonable to grade on a regular basis based on attendance or being physically near mac. (dropbox/turnitin/email submissions for assignment, increased use of discussion boards, etc)
Old 01-20-2012 at 05:52 PM   #38
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
I think there will be a lot of restructuring should the bus system get cut off... moving things like that to online? Honestly it would seem to cut out >50% of the student population base. The only people who won't be insanely mad would be people living within a kilometre of Mac and all the res students.

So its not even a matter of adjusting your how you study or learn, it would seem that it would unreasonable to grade on a regular basis based on attendance or being physically near mac. (dropbox/turnitin/email submissions for assignment, increased use of discussion boards, etc)
I know this is a site for Mac students (which I guess I am currently am, since I have one course this summer), but most schools won't adjust anything for strikes. My school said if there was a GO bus strike, it was our responsibility to get to school and they don't care if we're inconvenienced by the strike. If we missed class, we lost marks - that was the final say.

I'm thinking Mac would be the same. No professors are going to rearrange their classes around the strike.
Old 01-20-2012 at 05:55 PM   #39
mohammyt
Program: Electrical & Computer Engineering

Liked: 103 Times
Quote:
*sees thread*
*preys that it is an old one*
*le disappointed*
:(

"we're all going to die in 2012, so who cares anyhow?"

Afzal, britb like this.
Old 01-20-2012 at 07:07 PM   #40
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times
As Kathy mentioned, I don't think mac will do anything x(
Last time there was an hsr strike, their position was essentially that: it's your responsibility to find transportation.
Old 01-20-2012 at 07:13 PM   #41
RyanC
Elite Member

Relevant: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...2.html?t=17622

Just because it was in the past doesn't mean thats how it'll work now. .

Can't even find anything that suggests that the transit strike actually happened, or what extent was the damage/time.

Last edited by RyanC : 01-20-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-20-2012 at 07:40 PM   #42
Faer
Elite Member
Faculty: Humanities
Year: PhD
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 338 Times
Hopefully it all works out now before there is a strike. -.-
Old 01-20-2012 at 08:00 PM   #43
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times
Quote:
Relevant: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...2.html?t=17622

Just because it was in the past doesn't mean thats how it'll work now. .

Can't even find anything that suggests that the transit strike actually happened, or what extent was the damage/time.
that one in 2007 was diverted: http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...four-year-deal
Old 01-21-2012 at 06:37 PM   #44
sam_akbari
Program: Honours Chemical Biology
Year: Second

Liked: 23 Times
wait wait wait. HOLD YOUR HORSES....if they go on strike, will it be alternate-employed shifts where they don't come for a very long time or is it like they just bail out and no busses at all O_O because if thats the case...its a 2 hour walk for me everyday ....

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search