MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Potential Greyhound Lockout nerual Automotive & Transportation 1 08-10-2010 02:22 PM
who are potential employers for engineering co-op students? jon.john23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-02-2010 08:57 PM
Potential Increase in Dental Plan Fees Boccaccio MacInsiders Announcements 7 03-02-2010 08:04 AM
Potential strike... xxsumz General Discussion 136 08-28-2009 02:32 PM
Attention Potential Graduates! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-24-2008 12:23 PM

Potential TA strike

Old 10-21-2009 at 04:29 PM   #31
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qazwini View Post
\
If it does occur, i hope students are not too at loss financially and academically.
If we do end up losing much, we should definitely all get together and serve CUPE with a class-action lawsuit.

adrian, lawleypop, PTGregD, sew12 like this.
Old 10-21-2009 at 06:22 PM   #32
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
If we do end up losing much, we should definitely all get together and serve CUPE with a class-action lawsuit.
If even a penny of my parent's and my own hard earned money we put together to pay for my tuition this year I'll be signing something with lawsuit in the title so fast CUPE's heads will spin.

Taunton likes this.
Old 10-21-2009 at 06:28 PM   #33
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
If even a penny of my parent's and my own hard earned money we put together to pay for my tuition this year I'll be signing something with lawsuit in the title so fast CUPE's heads will spin.
I suspect there are many other students who would do the same. Let's hope it isn't necessary...
Old 10-21-2009 at 06:33 PM   #34
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I suspect there are many other students who would do the same. Let's hope it isn't necessary...
Let's hope indeed.

This could be a nightmare.
Old 10-21-2009 at 06:54 PM   #35
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

York has a class action lawsuit seeking damages after last year.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Taunton likes this.
Old 10-21-2009 at 07:45 PM   #36
McIntyre

Liked: 182 Times

I have to say, as someone who has been very engaged in this whole process, I lost all faith in CUPE today. For a Union, they have been approaching this contract negotiation reasonably compared to other similar Unions across Ontario. I'm not saying I agree with the fact that they are threatening a strike, but they are communicating well with the population, are making a significant effort in their bargaining and haven't done anything malicious as often seen in these negotiations.

However, today really pissed me off. One of their goons (and I normally wouldn't use this word, but he was extremely rude and was lying to students...so I feel as though it's fitting) was handing out their pamphlets...so far everything's fine. Except he's lying by telling students you can go on strike as early as the Friday. I understand there is a fine line between 11:59 on the Friday and 12:01am on the Saturday, but considering 3600 first year students have their Psych midterm that Friday evening, CUP is unnecessarily trying to induce panic in the students. I even approached the man to ask him politely to use factual information and he turned and said what's the difference?! Yelling out to the public that you may start striking on the Friday is misleading and not factual at all considering you actually can't start until the Saturday. I know this may seem minor, but as the Senior TA for Intropsych, I received many e-mails today from concerned students because of the way these "goons" were falsifying information.
Old 10-21-2009 at 08:41 PM   #37
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

John: I'm sure it goes without saying, but make sure you try to relieve your students as much as you can...send a widespread email if possible. If you see them in tutorial let them know they've got nothing to worry about in terms of the strike interfering with their midterm. CUPE's got no right to deliberately mess with students.

I mean, that's not even collateral damage...

----------------

Speaking of which, I saw my students in my tutorial today and I notified them that my TAing services would continue in the event of a strike. To my surprise, there was applause!

Charbs, Taunton all say thanks to Mowicz for this post.

Old 10-21-2009 at 11:49 PM   #38
McIntyre

Liked: 182 Times

Hey Mowicz,

Don't worry - my job is to help out the students so I am definitely trying to mitigate the effects of CUPE's lying.

Also, one thing to note is it may not be your decision that your TAing services continue so don't jump the gun. Some professors may not cross the line themselves but may just blanket stop tutorials because if some TAs are crossing and some aren't they've got to make sure all students have equal access to tutorials. So before making announcements to your class, I'd wait to see what your professors announce in the coming week about their contingency plans.
Old 10-22-2009 at 01:30 AM   #39
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIntyre View Post
So before making announcements to your class, I'd wait to see what your professors announce in the coming week about their contingency plans.
Actually, I'd made the announcement after speaking with my supervisor (he seemed more excited by the idea of me continuing to work than I did).

If I've properly understood your concern, I'm the only TA for my course.
Old 10-22-2009 at 11:14 AM   #40
Taunton
Elite Member

My TA for one of my GIS classes (a grad student BTW) just told our class that he would be crossing the line in the event of a strike.

To all TA's out there: we need you all to do this!

Thanks to all TA's who actually care about their students!

AYuen, moondancer like this.
Old 10-22-2009 at 11:25 AM   #41
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Speaking of which, I saw my students in my tutorial today and I notified them that my TAing services would continue in the event of a strike. To my surprise, there was applause!
I smiled when I read this... honestly, you shouldn't have been surprised though... It's not shocking just how many people dislike or even hate unions, especially after how they've been acting over the past decade or so.
Old 10-23-2009 at 11:47 AM   #42
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Figured this might be a good read to some people; This is the email that I received as a T.A.:

Dear TAs and RAs, You do important work and McMaster recognizes your contributions to the University.
CUPE Local 3906, Unit 1 says “a strike/lock out is a real possibility” beginning on October 31st.
McMaster will not lock you out. A work stoppage will happen only if CUPE calls a strike.
We believe a deal is within reach and we’re eager to get back to the table on October 29 and 30.
Our contract offer reflects the important role you play. Here are the highlights:
Wages
You will get a raise of $1.30 per hour: Class A = $ 39.30 Class B= $22.05.
TAs will be eligible for the Class A rate once they have their 1st undergraduate degree.
Benefits
McMaster pays $150,000 each year into your benefit plan, that’s an increase of 50% since 2005. The number of TAs has remained stable during that time.
McMaster also pays two-thirds of your monthly dental plan.
Workload
New protections so you won’t have to work past the end of the academic term and a better way to assign your work hours.
Job Security
Better job guarantees and improved flexibility.
We remain focused on working hard to reach a deal that’s fair and sustainable.
You can read more about the offer at: http://www.mcmaster.ca/opr/labour_relations/cupe_2.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Short version: CUPE/Unions Suck, and I'm not sure how many T.A.s will actually be striking. I think you'll find most of them continuing to work.

daisy, Kevin S, kleung, Taunton all say thanks to PTGregD for this post.

Kevin S, Taunton like this.
Old 10-23-2009 at 12:20 PM   #43
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Figured this might be a good read to some people; This is the email that I received as a T.A.:

Dear TAs and RAs, You do important work and McMaster recognizes your contributions to the University.
CUPE Local 3906, Unit 1 says “a strike/lock out is a real possibility” beginning on October 31st.
McMaster will not lock you out. A work stoppage will happen only if CUPE calls a strike.
We believe a deal is within reach and we’re eager to get back to the table on October 29 and 30.
Our contract offer reflects the important role you play. Here are the highlights:
Wages
You will get a raise of $1.30 per hour: Class A = $ 39.30 Class B= $22.05.
TAs will be eligible for the Class A rate once they have their 1st undergraduate degree.
Benefits
McMaster pays $150,000 each year into your benefit plan, that’s an increase of 50% since 2005. The number of TAs has remained stable during that time.
McMaster also pays two-thirds of your monthly dental plan.
Workload
New protections so you won’t have to work past the end of the academic term and a better way to assign your work hours.
Job Security
Better job guarantees and improved flexibility.
We remain focused on working hard to reach a deal that’s fair and sustainable.
You can read more about the offer at: http://www.mcmaster.ca/opr/labour_relations/cupe_2.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Short version: CUPE/Unions Suck, and I'm not sure how many T.A.s will actually be striking. I think you'll find most of them continuing to work.
So um...

What's the problem with this deal?
Sounds pretty ****ing sweet to me.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Maegs likes this.
Old 10-23-2009 at 12:37 PM   #44
kleung

Liked: 57 Times

There's also a FAQ here:

http://www.mcmaster.ca/opr/labour_relations/cupe_2.html

Taunton says thanks to kleung for this post.
Old 10-23-2009 at 01:07 PM   #45
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleung View Post
Way to steal my thunder; that link was at the bottom of my post!!!! :p