Old 12-11-2010 at 01:26 PM   #196
jajas
Account Disabled by User
Program: Women's Studies
Year: Third

Liked: 49 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo92 View Post
would be a massive risk, going from SAF, one of the greatest managers of all time, to Cantona (who, let's face it, is ever so slightly, batshit insane ). Ole would be great if he can get some experience under his belt and prove his worth. Keane had a good season at Sunderland. Neville or Giggs would be a dream come true

but in all likelihood, it would have to be someone who has significant European experience, with the proven ability to keep the club competitive post-SAF (remember, post SAF also means post Scholes/Neville, not Giggs, he'll probably play until he's 50). Mourinho would be good, I guess, but Sir Bobby Charlton showed some hesitation at his appointment, and his opinion will be very influential, along with SAF's, who hasn't given many names (i hear he holds Moyes in very high regard, i bet you'll love the sound of that Andrew).

In all honesty though, the only managers in the world I'd have utmost confidence in would be Arsene Wenger (never happening, unfortunately, would be as close to a perfect replacement as possible imo), and Fabio Capello (could still happen). Screw that for now though, i'll deal with SAF's departure when he leaves, by crying my eyes out

Yeah the only thing about Scholes, Giggs and Neville is the lack of coaching experience. Solskjaer at least coached the reserves and now he is coaching some team in Finland of were ever he went. If Giggs, Scholes and Neville could get the experience fast, they would make great coaches. They are a United Legacy anyways.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Add negative rating0Add positive rank
Old 12-11-2010 at 01:27 PM   #197
mse369
Program: Engineering Physics
Year: Second
Residence: WHIDDEN WHIDDEN WHIDDEN! 09/10

Liked: 9 Times
Quote:
would be a massive risk, going from SAF, one of the greatest managers of all time, to Cantona (who, let's face it, is ever so slightly, batshit insane ). Ole would be great if he can get some experience under his belt and prove his worth. Keane had a good season at Sunderland. Neville or Giggs would be a dream come true

but in all likelihood, it would have to be someone who has significant European experience, with the proven ability to keep the club competitive post-SAF (remember, post SAF also means post Scholes/Neville, not Giggs, he'll probably play until he's 50). Mourinho would be good, I guess, but Sir Bobby Charlton showed some hesitation at his appointment, and his opinion will be very influential, along with SAF's, who hasn't given many names (i hear he holds Moyes in very high regard, i bet you'll love the sound of that Andrew).

In all honesty though, the only managers in the world I'd have utmost confidence in would be Arsene Wenger (never happening, unfortunately, would be as close to a perfect replacement as possible imo), and Fabio Capello (could still happen). Screw that for now though, i'll deal with SAF's departure when he leaves, by crying my eyes out

I believe SAF did mention Pep Guardiola a month or 2 back. I expect Fergie to be done at the end of next season or the season after at the latest. Then again he did claim he would retire a while ago.

Either way, the whole coaching problem is the least of my worries. Right now the Glazers are what worries me most!
Old 12-11-2010 at 01:30 PM   #198
jajas
Account Disabled by User
Program: Women's Studies

Liked: 49 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mse369 View Post
I believe SAF did mention Pep Guardiola a month or 2 back. I expect Fergie to be done at the end of next season or the season after at the latest. Then again he did claim he would retire a while ago.

Either way, the whole coaching problem is the least of my worries. Right now the Glazers are what worries me most!
Agreed. The Glazers need to get the fu/ck out of United. But I don't want some Saudi Arabian King to take over United. With those people money is not an issue but management suc/ks
Old 12-12-2010 at 10:56 PM   #199
Carefree
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences
Year: Alumni

Liked: 25 Times
Quote:
John Terry. Dider Drogba. Cashley. full of class, aren't the blues?
I don't understand your point. Were you trying to name some Chelsea legends? I would hardly consider these guys legends. It's like saying Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo are United Legends. LOL.
Old 12-12-2010 at 10:59 PM   #200
Carefree

So, are you United fans ready to see your side get hammered next Sunday?
Old 12-12-2010 at 11:09 PM   #201
mohammyt
Program: Electrical & Computer Engineering

Liked: 103 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
we'll see
adyuqwey698qwyee char
Old 12-12-2010 at 11:12 PM   #202
mse369

Quote:
I don't understand your point. Were you trying to name some Chelsea legends? I would hardly consider these guys legends. It's like saying Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo are United Legends. LOL.
I wouldn't say Rooney or Ronaldo are United Legends. Not just yet anyway. BUT come the day when Ronaldo retires and I can see him being up there with many other united legends. For a midfielder (although he did play a center forward free role for his last 2 seasons there) he had an amazing goal average (almost a goal every other game) and I would say he accomplished as much if not more than Cantona, who is fondly remembered by man united fans and has legend status. Add in the fact that he is the transfer fee record holder and how he was the first player to win the Ballon d'or and world player of the year for man united since Best 40 years before him, and the first premier league player to win world player of the year. So yeah Ronaldo is pretty much a legend in most man united fans' eyes.

Now when it comes to Terry, Lamps & Drogba. I would say they are easily Chelsea legends. They brought the premier league title to Chelsea for the first time in what? 50 years? Took Chelsea to a first ever Champions League final, won the Carling cup twice and the FA cup three times? yeah I'd say they are legends. Cashley not so much. And this coming from a die hard Man United fan and long time Chelsea hater. But hey respect is due.

jajas, waldo92 like this.
Old 12-13-2010 at 08:35 PM   #203
waldo92
Program: Health Sciences
Residence: socks?

Liked: 104 Times
Quote:
I wouldn't say Rooney or Ronaldo are United Legends. Not just yet anyway. BUT come the day when Ronaldo retires and I can see him being up there with many other united legends. For a midfielder (although he did play a center forward free role for his last 2 seasons there) he had an amazing goal average (almost a goal every other game) and I would say he accomplished as much if not more than Cantona, who is fondly remembered by man united fans and has legend status. Add in the fact that he is the transfer fee record holder and how he was the first player to win the Ballon d'or and world player of the year for man united since Best 40 years before him, and the first premier league player to win world player of the year. So yeah Ronaldo is pretty much a legend in most man united fans' eyes.

Now when it comes to Terry, Lamps & Drogba. I would say they are easily Chelsea legends. They brought the premier league title to Chelsea for the first time in what? 50 years? Took Chelsea to a first ever Champions League final, won the Carling cup twice and the FA cup three times? yeah I'd say they are legends. Cashley not so much. And this coming from a die hard Man United fan and long time Chelsea hater. But hey respect is due.
Ronaldo is a Utd legend imo, the same way Henry is at Arsenal. I know it's rare for a player who's still playing to be branded a legend without debate (with a few godlike exceptions, i.e. for Utd, Giggs, Scholes, Neville, Maldini at Milan), but unless things REALLY go nasty (maybe a Liverpoop/Shitty transfer), his status as a legend (post-retirement) is more or less secure. disclaimer: mentioning Cantona and Ronaldo in the same breath was a bad idea, a really bad one. One was an awesome player and catalyzed our ascension to the top of the world (Cantona), the other was maybe slightly more awesome (debatable), and that's about it. Best/Law/Charlton all won the Ballon d'Or btw, not just Best.

Cashley has a very good case for being one of Chelsea's greatest ever left backs (i would think that Chelsea fans would pick him over Le Saux/Petrescu, even though I haven't seen them play). More or less everyone in Chelsea's current core (Cech, Terry, Lampard, Essien, Drogba) is a Chelsea legend, as they have all played crucial roles in the club's most successful era ever. Some deserve respect (Lampard, Essien, Cech), while the other two make a good case for being the most massive pricks of the modern era (Terry/Drogba).
Old 12-13-2010 at 08:38 PM   #204
waldo92
Program: Health Sciences
Residence: socks?

Liked: 104 Times
Quote:
Yeah, we saw what you did to Sunderland, really scared now. Especially because I saw how you guys handled an 18 year old Man Utd player playing out of position on loan, i'm totally freaking out.
Old 12-13-2010 at 08:57 PM   #205
anon491
Professional Fangirl
Faculty: Science

Liked: 452 Times
lololol @ tevez drama. city are left scrambling to defend (what's left of) their reputation, once again.
welp, serves him right I say.
Old 12-13-2010 at 09:35 PM   #206
mse369

Quote:
Ronaldo is a Utd legend imo, the same way Henry is at Arsenal. I know it's rare for a player who's still playing to be branded a legend without debate (with a few godlike exceptions, i.e. for Utd, Giggs, Scholes, Neville, Maldini at Milan), but unless things REALLY go nasty (maybe a Liverpoop/Shitty transfer), his status as a legend (post-retirement) is more or less secure. disclaimer: mentioning Cantona and Ronaldo in the same breath was a bad idea, a really bad one. One was an awesome player and catalyzed our ascension to the top of the world (Cantona), the other was maybe slightly more awesome (debatable), and that's about it. Best/Law/Charlton all won the Ballon d'Or btw, not just Best.

Cashley has a very good case for being one of Chelsea's greatest ever left backs (i would think that Chelsea fans would pick him over Le Saux/Petrescu, even though I haven't seen them play). More or less everyone in Chelsea's current core (Cech, Terry, Lampard, Essien, Drogba) is a Chelsea legend, as they have all played crucial roles in the club's most successful era ever. Some deserve respect (Lampard, Essien, Cech), while the other two make a good case for being the most massive pricks of the modern era (Terry/Drogba).

Yeah I guess you're right about the whole Cantona thing. He was the catalyst to what we all know and love now as the current Man United. Ronaldo however was a more complete player, his only shortcomings would be his great capacity for arrogance and self indulgence. And yes I realize it is very debatable. Also yeah I realize that Best, Law and Charlton all won the Ballon d'Or, I think what I said (or meant to say, anyway) was that Ronaldo was the first to win it while playing for United since Best.

On to other news, how are all you Gooners feeling now?
United top of the league with a game in hand, Tevez wants to quit, Arsenal showing their inexperience in big games, Chelsea in their worst slump since Abramovich took over and guess what? Man United haven't even hit top gear yet?

If United navigate through Stamford Bridge next week safely, and with their current form I would bet on it, I would say they're favorites for the title. Remember titles are won and lost in the winter period when the EPL games come and go so fast.

hahah This season is panning out nicely I'd say.
Old 12-13-2010 at 10:30 PM   #207
Carefree

Quote:
If United navigate through Stamford Bridge next week safely, and with their current form I would bet on it, I would say they're favorites for the title. Remember titles are won and lost in the winter period when the EPL games come and go so fast.
That's a big IF. Form goes out the window in these big matches. Chelsea to win at the weekend. The race is far from over. Arsenal on the other hand, still aren't good enough to compete for the title... maybe next year (sounds familiar).
Old 12-13-2010 at 10:34 PM   #208
camais
Program: Mechatronics Engineering
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 30 Times
Quote:
On to other news, how are all you Gooners feeling now?
United top of the league with a game in hand, Tevez wants to quit, Arsenal showing their inexperience in big games, Chelsea in their worst slump since Abramovich took over and guess what? Man United haven't even hit top gear yet?

hahah This season is panning out nicely I'd say.
showing their inexperience my ass. that kind of comment makes u sound like a sun editor.

Van Persie not match fit
Fabregas not match fit
Vermaelen out

Our main starters at centre were not match fit/out.
I'm not using it as an excuse, just saying that man utd may not have gotten to their best yet, but neither has arsenal.
its not like you guys played outstandingly today, i thought it was a poor match by both sides really attacking wise. 1 small mistake lost it.
Thought fletcher shouldve been off too. minimum a card for charging the ref like that.
webb was terrible, seemed a influenced by the setting i think.
Old 12-13-2010 at 10:34 PM   #209
mse369

It is true form is out the window. But Chelsea's problem is more than just form, Lampard, Essien and Drogba just returned. Terry still on the way. And Ancelotti has been making novice tactical errors for a few weeks now.
Old 12-13-2010 at 10:57 PM   #210
mse369

Quote:
Originally Posted by camais View Post
showing their inexperience my ass. that kind of comment makes u sound like a sun editor.

Van Persie not match fit
Fabregas not match fit
Vermaelen out

Our main starters at centre were not match fit/out.
I'm not using it as an excuse, just saying that man utd may not have gotten to their best yet, but neither has arsenal.
its not like you guys played outstandingly today, i thought it was a poor match by both sides really attacking wise. 1 small mistake lost it.
Thought fletcher shouldve been off too. minimum a card for charging the ref like that.
webb was terrible, seemed a influenced by the setting i think.

All the cards Arsenal received were unnecessary.
Bringing fab on while he's unfit and was clearly too slow for the game, unnecessary.
The whole defense was left on 3 on 1s and 2 on 1s all night, surely after playing United for so long Wenger should've known how counter attacking United is? If Rooney and half the United forwards weren't so wasteful they would have won by a much greater margin!
Not starting with Walcott when everyone knows how narrow United play with their 4-5-1 in big games?
When the best performer for Arsenal was a Wojciech Szczesny, who is making his EPL debut, it says a lot.
The fact that the game was won because of a moment of genius from 3 Lung Park coupled with the great shifts the whole United back four put in, in comparison to the sh/it show that was Clichy, and a pretty much unnoticeable Squillacci. Also the fact that Koscielny was skinned way too much by Rooney, who isn't even close to the form he had last year.

And as for Arsenal's injury situation. This happens every year. Someone needs to take a serious look at the current personnel or find new fitness coaches.

And Howard Webb, although used to be one of the best refs in Europe in my eyes, I personally think ever since the World Cup final's dreadful refereeing performance he hasn't been the same. Even last year in the EPL he was swayed way too easily by home fans. His decision making isn't what it used to be.

camais likes this.

Not a member of MacInsiders? Signup now and gain full access to our student community!
Ask questions, get informed, and get involved!
Closed Thread