MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Dec. Move-out Day hellonewyork First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 12-01-2009 04:53 PM
October Blues: Preparing For Midterms feonateresa Exam Prep and Studying Tips 0 10-04-2009 09:22 AM
preparing for first year math adamg6 Academics 4 06-21-2008 05:08 PM

Preparing for Move-In Day

PREPARING FOR MOVE-IN DAY

By RISHIMA TALWAR, MACINSIDERS

The summer before your first year of university can be hectic, to say the least. Getting ready for the school year by attending summer orientations, going on campus tours and registering for classes can be quite stressful, but nothing can compare to move-in day. Possibly one of the most chaotic days of your university experience, preparation for move-in day is a must. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when preparing for move-in day:

THE LIST
A few weeks before leaving for your new home, it is essential to make a list of all the things you will require throughout the school year. Pencils, paper, clothes, soap and deodorant are just a few of the things you will need to include on your list. As you begin to gather the things on your list, major or minor modifications will be made along the way – adding things that you forgot to include and crossing out things that no longer seem essential to take with you. Try to have everything purchased and packed a few days before leaving for university. This will allow you to double check that you have everything that you need, and it will give you time to say goodbye to your friends and family. I would also suggest having a few days for yourself, so you can relax and avoid feeling drained out right at the beginning of the school year.

Here are links to lists for what to prepare to bring to each of the rooms in your new place. Hope it helps!
1) The Bathroom http://bit.ly/2jfqJYD
2) The Kitchen http://bit.ly/2jOHTLN
3) The Laundry Room http://bit.ly/2iwFLr6
4) The Front Closet http://bit.ly/2jOI89F
5) The Common Room http://bit.ly/2jpu9ds
6) Your Bedroom http://bit.ly/2iBQwLQ

THE VEHICLE
Since you are just entering university and have not yet experienced life on campus, you may find yourself packing a very long list of things. For most first years, it is extremely common to have a lot of suitcases and boxes. If you do have quite a bit of luggage, do not fret. It is always better to over-pack and be prepared as opposed to under-packing and being ill-equipped for school. However, if you do have a lot of luggage, you need to make sure that it can all fit into your vehicle. If you only have a tiny smart car, you may need to arrange for a larger vehicle. Trucks and vans are usually the best for move-in day. Nonetheless, regardless of the size of your vehicle, it would be very wise to move all your bags and boxes into your vehicle the night before move-in day (if not earlier). Having everything done the night before will minimize any stress you may feel about moving away from home. It will also allow you more time for some beauty sleep. I would also recommend filling up your vehicle with gas the day before you move in. The last thing you want on move-in day is to be stranded on the side of the road because your car has run out of gas.

THE COMPANY
Depending on how far you live from McMaster, it may take you anywhere from an hour to 5 hours (or more!) to get to campus. Spending 5 hours in a car can definitely take its toll on you so make sure you select your travelling companions wisely. If at all possible, try to leave your baby sister or 7-year-old cousin at home. If it will take you more than 3-4 hours to get to McMaster, I would recommend that you bring some entertainment along with you. An iPod or a good book should suffice. Car games, such as the license game, are also a great way to make time go by. For first year students, upper year students will transport your bags and boxes to your room for you, so there is no need to choose strong travelling companions. However, it would be wise to bring more than one person along with you. The more helping hands you have, the faster you will be able to empty your bags and boxes and get settled into your new room. On the downside, the more people you bring with you, the more crowded your trip to McMaster will be. I would recommend bringing two people along with you – parents are always a good idea. Nevertheless, plan out who is coming with you a few days before move-in day!

These are just a few, central tips to help you get ready for move-in day. It is important to keep in mind that everyone is different, and so you may need to do more/less in order to get ready to move in to your residence at Mac. Nonetheless, planning and preparation are a necessity and will definitely help you start your university experience on the right foot![/color]

Afzal, aziz917, etoilex3, hamnahx02, klibzy, kwyhan91, niteskie, xxsumz all say thanks to lorend for this post.

jn.wilson, PilotMal, TLulu like this.
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 08-25-2009 at 08:23 PM   #2
niteskie
Elite Member
Program: Psycholinguistics
Year: Other

Liked: 45 Times
Great article.

rrtt says thanks to niteskie for this post.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-25-2009 at 10:04 PM   #3
jmbauman
Union Market Manager
SRA Member
Program: History
Year: McMaster Employee

Liked: 32 Times
LABEL EVERYTHING!!

and label it BEFORE you get to McMaster! it will make your life (and the lives of those awesome reps moving you in) much easier

I would disagree with the overpacking statement, unless you live far from Mac. Thanksgiving isn't that far away from when school starts, so I would recommend picking up your winter clothes then.

Or you can be like me, and make your parents drive up the next day with a bunch of stuff you forgot, and to fix your computer which decided it hated residence and stopped working.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 08-25-2009 at 10:15 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
Great article! It'll be a bit hard to label suitcases, so I'm thinking of just replacing it with boxes. Would that work?

Old 08-25-2009 at 10:22 PM   #5
jmbauman
Union Market Manager
SRA Member
Program: History
Year: McMaster Employee

Liked: 32 Times
boxes are great because then once you've moved in you can just recycle those beasts.

but a suitcase is useful if you're going to be using it to travel back and forth often. if not, it just takes up space.

but even just slapping a huge piece of tape on your suitcase would work!

~*Sara*~ says thanks to jmbauman for this post.
Old 08-25-2009 at 10:27 PM   #6
Scrub
Original "G"
Program: Honours Biology and Pharmacology Co-op
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 57 Times
yeah i agree...boxes/suitcases/garbage bags it really is completely up to you..I found it convenient to use plastic storage bins you get from wallmart as you can re-use them when moving out...re-use, that is the key, dont get boxes just for one day and throw them out, think green ...also suitcase may help alleviate the number of items you bring to campus (1 suitcase=2boxes maybe)..also it helps the upper years moving your stuff in...your in Moulton Sara?...well I'll be helping move your stuff up and yeah best way to make friends with upper years early is to pack few boxes ...haha i kid
Old 08-25-2009 at 10:27 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Thanks! I guess a duffel bag should suffice then, for travelling back and forth. Boxes it is, and I really like the tape idea .

Arjun- Yep, I'm in Moulton . Haha, oooh a bribe huh ?

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 08-25-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-25-2009 at 10:29 PM   #8
Scrub
Original "G"

cool...look for me move in day..i'll be decked out in pimped out black labcoat...i look forward to carrying things haha
Old 08-25-2009 at 10:41 PM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Definitely ! Haha, I like the black labcoat idea, very unique . I hope they're not too heavy
Old 08-25-2009 at 10:51 PM   #10
syaseen
Elite Member
Program: Electrical & Biomedical Engineering
Residence: Bates 08-09, SOCS 09-11

Liked: 27 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
cool...look for me move in day..i'll be decked out in pimped out black labcoat...i look forward to carrying things haha
This is a bit off topic, but is science bringing back the ninjas from last year? they were so cool.
Old 08-25-2009 at 10:56 PM   #11
Scrub
Original "G"

we may...we may not..only one way to find out..haha
Old 08-26-2009 at 12:49 AM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Haha, that would be so cool XD
Old 08-26-2009 at 01:33 PM   #13
nciggle
Program: Arts & Science
Year: Second

Liked: 11 Times
If I'm packing some stuff in milk crates, would you suggest putting a piece of cardboard over the opening, or is it possible to just leave it open?

Noah Ciglen
Honours Arts&Science II
Old 08-26-2009 at 01:34 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nciggle View Post
If I'm packing some stuff in milk crates, would you suggest putting a piece of cardboard over the opening, or is it possible to just leave it open?
When you say "over the opening" Do you mean the top or all the holes around/at the bottom of the crates?

As long as the things you put inside can't fall out of the crate, it'll be fine.
Old 08-26-2009 at 01:36 PM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

I would suggest closing it, since you'll need to put a label somewhere too, and you won;t have to worry about losing things

Article Tools