MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Academic Probation 2nd year peterdziedzic Academics 8 11-22-2012 09:20 PM
Urgent! Academic Probation AYJECON Academics 6 08-05-2011 12:12 AM
HELP! Received Academic Probation! hellomac Academics 12 06-11-2011 02:20 AM
Academic Probation njd123 Academics 3 05-30-2010 10:05 PM
what does academic probation mean for science? macbaby07 Academics 14 05-29-2010 11:04 PM

Prof on Academic Probation?

Old 03-07-2013 at 10:27 PM   #1
*spark*

Liked: 55 Times

Prof on Academic Probation?
So I've heard that one of my professors is on academic probation... COUGH*DR.GABARDO*COUG H

Apparently one of the TA's leaked this information but I've never heard this happening to a professor before. Is it true?? What does that even mean?

The course is pretty terrible and there have been many complaints but what does this mean for the students currently taking his course?
Old 03-07-2013 at 10:53 PM   #2
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...73 650AAHzClA

*spark* says thanks to icecubz for this post.
Old 03-07-2013 at 10:55 PM   #3
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Academic probation is for students with poor grades. A prof may be reprimanded or have their employment on some sort of probation, but it wouldn't be academic probation. I also doubt the TAs would be privy to the prof's employment situation, and if they were I doubt they'd be stupid enough to "leak" that information to undergrads before it became public knowledge.

Odds are, it means nothing for the students taking the course unless the prof faces some disciplinary action beyond what's going on now. If he's a sessional, it could mean that his contract won't be renewed but likely nothing would happen until the end of the semester unless there were some severe issues (beyond the course being unorganized).
Old 03-07-2013 at 11:04 PM   #4
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Liked: 51 Times

I hope McMaster get rid of him. He has one of the lowest score on RateMyProf. Considering that he is teaching one of the most important engineering math, he needs to go before engineering itself get better.

http://www.ratemyprofessors. com/Sh...sp?tid=2 6955

*spark*, jim1 like this.
Old 03-07-2013 at 11:28 PM   #5
*spark*

Well, that sucks...

It's great that even though every year there's tons of complaints about him and the course, he still gets promoted...
Old 03-07-2013 at 11:46 PM   #6
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

Gabardo is a tenured professor, he can't be fired unless he does something really fucked up like plagiarize a research paper, commit a crime or helps someone a student cheat among other things. Sad thing is that he probably doesn't care about what kids say about him and would laugh about the shit people say about him on rate my prof
Old 03-08-2013 at 02:01 AM   #7
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Just saying, real mature posting something like this on a public forum OP...
doesnt matter if you dont like the guy, the TA shouldnt have leaked this to anyone, and you posting on macinsiders is just as bad, if not way worse
Old 03-08-2013 at 07:47 AM   #8
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 244 Times

Had a prof once who was on some sort of probabtion. He spent half the class complaining how he never "****ing swears at any **** person in this **** class" and doesn't understand where that came from, and the other half of the class whining how he was going to get fired if we didn't give him a better review at the end of the semestre.
Luckily, he did get his act together, and there were no issues later on.
Old 03-08-2013 at 08:24 AM   #9
*spark*

Well I didn't really believe he was on probation.. I guess the information that was "leaked" was actually good news for him that everyone missunderstood. I thought he was already a permanent prof but oh well...
To be honest he's probably not that bad that he deserves to be put on probation but it would be nice if he listened to the students opinion... Especially since the last average on the midterm was below 50.
Old 03-08-2013 at 08:38 AM   #10
Zachary

Liked: 77 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by *spark* View Post
Well I didn't really believe he was on probation.. I guess the information that was "leaked" was actually good news for him that everyone missunderstood. I thought he was already a permanent prof but oh well...
To be honest he's probably not that bad that he deserves to be put on probation but it would be nice if he listened to the students opinion... Especially since the last average on the midterm was below 50.
And here I thought that the averages for all of Dr Gabardo's midterms were below fifty. It's when the average is above a sixty, you know there's going to be a bloody reckoning during the final.

*spark*, jim1, Zebedee like this.
Old 03-08-2013 at 02:24 PM   #11
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Fun fact: Since I've started here, I've never heard a Gabardo midterm average being above 50. You hear the complaints EVERY few months.

Zachary likes this.