MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to buy text books? ChuanJT First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-09-2009 05:47 PM
text books and titles katie_batt First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-06-2008 01:28 PM

purchasing text books

Old 08-24-2010 at 12:59 AM   #31
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROS View Post
ahh goodness, this is not gonna be good lol. all thats stressing me out it is waiting til after classes start and finding out that titles has ran out of whatever book i need and then having to go through the whole used book meet-up/negotiations stuff. also, if they have the wrong edition or whatever.

but i dont know, im the type of person who learns from the text book (especially if i get lost, which i usually do) so i thinkkk i'll be buying all the books anyway. the required ones at least.
If you're worried about Titles running out of books, you can check their stock on their website, the same way you'd check the prices
They likely won't run out of new books--most of the 'competition' is for the used books.
Regardless of when you go to Titles, make sure you know what books/edition to buy. Sometimes they will have the old edition there if they have stock left over, to give people the option of buying a cheaper copy. There are also many different kinds of math, so make sure you know which book you need.
Old 08-24-2010 at 01:09 AM   #32
SROS

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
If you're worried about Titles running out of books, you can check their stock on their website, the same way you'd check the prices
They likely won't run out of new books--most of the 'competition' is for the used books.
Regardless of when you go to Titles, make sure you know what books/edition to buy. Sometimes they will have the old edition there if they have stock left over, to give people the option of buying a cheaper copy. There are also many different kinds of math, so make sure you know which book you need.
yea i'll definitely do some research before going, and hopefully the people working at titles can help me out. thanks for the heads up though!
Old 08-24-2010 at 02:08 AM   #33
cocchiarella

Liked: 24 Times

first off: deep breaths. no need to freak out, as this is not a big issue.

ok buy used. upper years will love you for it. most of the time you can find the most current edition used for a very good price. puts money in the pockets of students as opposed to the university. first year i bought all my textbooks new and what a waste. i only buy new if its 100% necessary
Old 08-24-2010 at 12:24 PM   #34
knguyens2

Quote:
Originally Posted by manda112 View Post
Personally, I would say to get them now and not wait. I'm assuming that you're taking most of the courses you listed in your original post and for all of those courses you will definitely need your textbook. You'll have online quizzes and assignments that your textbook can help you with and also sometimes profs can't cover everything in class so you'll find a question on a test that was never covered in class or talked about briefly. If you wait until the first day of class, your prof will just tell you that you need the textbook. Then you'll head to titles and it'll be packed there with long lineups.
Yes, all the course I've listed are all the ones I am taking. I want to get my books now, cause I'm the type that just needs to get things ready beforehand or I'll be worried, and not be able to sleep over it. aha. And all the first term books are listed on titles right? So I would know what edition is being used, and know which book to get. I noticed that this year for chem is the the 10th edition, would it hurt me all getting the 9th one?
Old 08-24-2010 at 12:33 PM   #35
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by knguyens2 View Post
Yes, all the course I've listed are all the ones I am taking. I want to get my books now, cause I'm the type that just needs to get things ready beforehand or I'll be worried, and not be able to sleep over it. aha. And all the first term books are listed on titles right? So I would know what edition is being used, and know which book to get. I noticed that this year for chem is the the 10th edition, would it hurt me all getting the 9th one?
Sometimes the books listed on Titles can change. It's less common with first year courses, but I'd keep them all in their wrapping just in case.

As for which edition to get, usually you're okay with an older edition, but it depends how much has changed. Some new editions have very very minor changes, whereas some have fairly major changes. Without actually seeing the 10th edition, I'm not sure. Practise problem numbers and image numbers would likely be different though. The prof usually addresses older editions in the first class, but if you're buying it now, then I don't know.
Old 08-24-2010 at 12:33 PM   #36
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Yes, all the first term books are listed on titles.

It's hard to tell, but chances are it's safe. I haven't hear of any crazy breakthroughs in Chemistry so there should be anything new. The only difference could be that the chapters are mixed around (Sometimes the writes think that it's easier to understand the material if you read a certain topic before another, but professors also think the same way and they don't often go through the book linearly). There could be some extra paragraphs that give clarification and there could be new pictures and pictures that were removed.
Old 08-24-2010 at 12:42 PM   #37
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

i'm just going to wait till the first day of class
hopefully there are still some good used books left then
Old 08-24-2010 at 12:55 PM   #38
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
i'm just going to wait till the first day of class
hopefully there are still some good used books left then
Just remember, titles isn't the only place to buy used books.
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...4.html?t=30624
Old 08-24-2010 at 01:05 PM   #39
manda112

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Yes all the first term books will be listed on titles or any of the courses you have that are available both semesters. I don't think it would hurt you getting the 9th edition. Most likely there will only by minor changes to the text and yes the practice questions will be different but between online quizzes, readings and the work you have for other courses, you probably won't have time to do many of them. Also for tutorials you'll find a printout online of question to complete before it and if you have trouble with anything you ask the TA and he/she will go over the question. I find that a lot more effective than just doing questions from the text.
Old 08-24-2010
TLulu
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-24-2010
mehran.k
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:11 PM   #40
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Also, about the student card as a credit card thing... I tried mine out, I set it up and paid for the Mac Calculator on it which is like 26$, and some how when I went to pay it online it charged me ~$2 to use the Mac site to pay, then my bank charged me ~$2 to use the Mac site to pay. So that was way too many fees to pay for one calculator, I suppose if I racked up $500 of books and paid them all at once, $4 wouldnt offend me as much.
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:14 PM   #41
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
Also, about the student card as a credit card thing... I tried mine out, I set it up and paid for the Mac Calculator on it which is like 26$, and some how when I went to pay it online it charged me ~$2 to use the Mac site to pay, then my bank charged me ~$2 to use the Mac site to pay. So that was way too many fees to pay for one calculator, I suppose if I racked up $500 of books and paid them all at once, $4 wouldnt offend me as much.
Did you pay via Interac? I'm not sure if there are any fees for Interac, usually there aren't... Maybe call your bank and inquire about the charges?

If you pay via online banking (Paying a bill), then you don't get charged anything.
Old 08-24-2010 at 03:28 PM   #42
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Did you pay via Interac? I'm not sure if there are any fees for Interac, usually there aren't... Maybe call your bank and inquire about the charges?

If you pay via online banking (Paying a bill), then you don't get charged anything.
It was last year, I was just really frustrated, I didnt call, last time I called Scotiabank about extra charges the guy told me theres nothing he can do on the phone and I had to go back and find the teller that delt with me. No I was not going to hunt her down, especially when I have no ride to that particular branch.
Old 08-25-2010 at 06:48 PM   #43
SROS

okay so this isnt cool at all.... so i bought some of my textbooks today at titles. both new and used. so i got the USED textbook for calculus 1a03 but just looking at the reciept right now i see that they charged me FULL price for a new text!!!! WTF? and i dropped the books at my basement apartment near mac so i wouldnt have to bring them home with me here in brampton since i took the go bus for the osap pick up today. and actually, the new package deal for calc is listed online as 169.95 but they charged me 171.95!??

and thinking about it, if i return the book claiming that they wrongly charged me, would they even believe me?? i mean it would look like i got a used book off of someone and tried to scam them or something. WHAT DO I DO NOW?!
i just called but theyre closed. and commuting from brampton is expensive.........