MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to buy text books? ChuanJT First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-09-2009 05:47 PM
text books and titles katie_batt First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-06-2008 01:28 PM

purchasing text books

Old 08-25-2010 at 06:55 PM   #46
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROS View Post
okay so this isnt cool at all.... so i bought some of my textbooks today at titles. both new and used. so i got the USED textbook for calculus 1a03 but just looking at the reciept right now i see that they charged me FULL price for a new text!!!! WTF? and i dropped the books at my basement apartment near mac so i wouldnt have to bring them home with me here in brampton since i took the go bus for the osap pick up today. and actually, the new package deal for calc is listed online as 169.95 but they charged me 171.95!??

and thinking about it, if i return the book claiming that they wrongly charged me, would they even believe me?? i mean it would look like i got a used book off of someone and tried to scam them or something. WHAT DO I DO NOW?!
i just called but theyre closed. and commuting from brampton is expensive.........
Call them tomorrow, you might have to commute back to Hamilton before school starts to get it fixed.

Also you could have picked up the wrong book.
http://titles.mcmaster.ca/text/detai...780 495011668
Old 08-25-2010 at 07:04 PM   #47
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Yeah, apparently there are no used books of the package deal that you say you bought: http://titles.mcmaster.ca/text/detai...781 111019037
This makes sense, since when people sell their books back to Titles, they don't get re-packaged, so you can usually only buy the books and solutions manuals individually. I'm not sure why the individual book is more expensive than the package deal, but that's what the website lists.
If the book is used, it won't come in plastic wrapping and it will have a 'used' sticker on the spine. Do you remember if yours came in plastic? If it didn't, then it was probably used and you should call them to see what you can do.
Old 08-25-2010 at 07:09 PM   #48
SROS

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Call them tomorrow, you might have to commute back to Hamilton before school starts to get it fixed.

Also you could have picked up the wrong book.
http://titles.mcmaster.ca/text/detai...780 495011668
oh my goodness, i was told by the titles employee that it was for sure the right one! 1A03!!!! its like 30 bucks to commute and im on a really tight budget! I only went today cause i was picking up my osap. I just emailed them too but i honestly dont think they even check those. ughhh, this is not good.
Old 08-25-2010 at 07:12 PM   #49
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Yeah, apparently there are no used books of the package deal that you say you bought: http://titles.mcmaster.ca/text/detai...781 111019037
This makes sense, since when people sell their books back to Titles, they don't get re-packaged, so you can usually only buy the books and solutions manuals individually. I'm not sure why the individual book is more expensive than the package deal, but that's what the website lists.
If the book is used, it won't come in plastic wrapping and it will have a 'used' sticker on the spine. Do you remember if yours came in plastic? If it didn't, then it was probably used and you should call them to see what you can do.
Quote:
oh my goodness, i was told by the titles employee that it was for sure the right one! 1A03!!!! its like 30 bucks to commute and im on a really tight budget! I only went today cause i was picking up my osap. I just emailed them too but i honestly dont think they even check those. ughhh, this is not good.
Not all new books are sealed in plastic, usually the ones that come in packages or have stuff inside are sealed. Otherwise they aren't sealed, it's a waste of money and material.

As for the book, Titles really made is strange. My link is from Math 1F03 and it only uses the book whereas your link is from Math 1A03 and it uses the book and pin codes. The book appears to be the same though; same publisher, author, edition.

Anyways, you definitively bought the book for 1F03 if you just bought the book alone. You might have picked up a new one instead of a used one (Sometimes the books are mixed together, for example I had to buy English books and there were new and used in the same pile). If that's the case then you can return the book for a full refund and just pick up the used version after. I believe full refunds are available until September 20 something. It should say on your receipt.
Old 08-25-2010 at 07:12 PM   #50
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
do you remember the cover? it says calculus next to a picture of like a violin
Old 08-25-2010 at 07:13 PM   #51
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Well, both the links Jeremy & I posted are for the same book (I'm pretty sure), so if you have one of those, then you do have the right book for 1A03--it just might be the most expensive possible version
This is why people generally recommend waiting until after the first class, when all of the stocks are in and it's super-obvious what you need (also, the prof will tell you), and you're right there if you need to do any returns.
On your receipt, it should say how long you have to return the book. If it can wait until after move-in, then wait. If not, then you'll either have to go back to Hamilton or stick with the book you have.
Old 08-25-2010 at 07:14 PM   #52
SROS

Quote:
no it didnt come in plastic and there was obvious worn out parts on the cover of the book. i also bought a used physics book and everything went through properly for that.

im just worried cause my story would sound sketch. but its trueee!
Old 08-25-2010 at 07:15 PM   #53
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
no it didnt come in plastic and there was obvious worn out parts on the cover of the book. i also bought a used physics book and everything went through properly for that.

im just worried cause my story would sound sketch. but its trueee!
I don't know what the return policy is for used books, or for a situation like that, but your best bet is to bring the book + receipt and go in person. If you don't want to do that, then calling is the next best option. Their hours should be on their website.
Old 08-25-2010 at 07:18 PM   #54
SROS

also i have no recollection of the front cover picture or anything. and it also sucks that i dropped it off at my off campus apartment so i dont even have it with me to check. those books are intensely heavy!
Old 08-25-2010 at 07:21 PM   #55
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
also i have no recollection of the front cover picture or anything. and it also sucks that i dropped it off at my off campus apartment so i dont even have it with me to check. those books are intensely heavy!
Just read my post above, they'll help a lot. http://www.macinsiders.com/showpost.... &postcount=47
Old 08-25-2010 at 07:23 PM   #56
SROS

Quote:
I don't know what the return policy is for used books, or for a situation like that, but your best bet is to bring the book + receipt and go in person. If you don't want to do that, then calling is the next best option. Their hours should be on their website.
the guy who helped me said i could return the used book if i changed my mind after the first class and wanted the new package instead. BUT the fact that i have an obviously used book and a receipt saying that its new is the problem.

but yea i guess i'll call them again tomorrow and see what happens. but there is NO way i am paying 170 for a used book thats not even the right one.
Old 08-25-2010 at 07:24 PM   #57
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
the guy who helped me said i could return the used book if i changed my mind after the first class and wanted the new package instead. BUT the fact that i have an obviously used book and a receipt saying that its new is the problem.

but yea i guess i'll call them again tomorrow and see what happens. but there is NO way i am paying 170 for a used book thats not even the right one.
Do you have the book in front of you? How do you know it's used? Refer to: (http://www.macinsiders.com/showpost.... &postcount=47)
Old 08-25-2010 at 07:31 PM   #58
SROS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Do you have the book in front of you? How do you know it's used? Refer to: (http://www.macinsiders.com/showpost....&postcount=47)
it was definitely used, the front cover had a big bend in the middle and yea, just some very noticeable wear and tear on the spine.
Old 08-25-2010 at 07:32 PM   #59
SROS

and no i dropped all the books i bought at my apartment near mac (my residence for the year) so i dont have anything but the reciept in front of me.
Old 08-25-2010 at 07:36 PM   #60
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
it was definitely used, the front cover had a big bend in the middle and yea, just some very noticeable wear and tear on the spine.
Ok, then definitively call Titles tomorrow (8:30-4:30). You'll want to get it fixed, tell them you can't get to Hamilton and if you can fix it come September when you are back. If they say no then remind them that it's their mistake and that you should have to pay extra money for transportation to McMaster.