MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to buy text books? ChuanJT First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-09-2009 05:47 PM
text books and titles katie_batt First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-06-2008 01:28 PM

purchasing text books

Old 08-25-2010 at 07:42 PM   #61
SROS

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Ok, then definitively call Titles tomorrow (8:30-4:30). You'll want to get it fixed, tell them you can't get to Hamilton and if you can fix it come September when you are back. If they say no then remind them that it's their mistake and that you should have to pay extra money for transportation to McMaster.
okay yea i'll do that first thing tomorrow, thanks.
Old 08-25-2010 at 07:58 PM   #62
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

If you bought this book used, it should have cost $129: http://titles.mcmaster.ca/text/detai...780 495011668

However, the one listed for 1A03 includes the 2 pin codes & 2 solutions manuals...I have no idea if these are necessary, but if they are, you might want to just return the book you bought and buy these...the only problem being, they are only available from Titles as new books, not used. I have no idea if you need the pin codes, but it's something to keep in mind while you're sorting this out. You were told that it's the right book for 1A03 because I'm pretty sure they're the same book, but it's pretty easy for someone to tell you you have the right book without knowing about all of the other stuff--and really, that isn't the employee's fault, since it's your responsibility to know what books you need. However, instead of getting them to refund you the difference, if possible, you might want to wait until classes start (or email the prof) and see if you need the pin codes...that way you can just return the book and get refunded the full $171 or whatever it was, and buy the other one, if you do.

I hope that made sense :S I've had a long day so my communication skills are kind of failing me
Old 08-25-2010 at 08:24 PM   #63
SROS

Liked: 1 Time

yea i was prepared though, i had my own copy of everything i needed but it was just a complete mess there. like there were math books scattered in odd places so i just asked for help, now look where that got me :/ plus the guy seemed so sure of himself so i trusted him. i'll never do that again lmao.......
i emailed them and i;ll call again tomorrow so as long as they buy my story i'll sort it out somehow.
Old 08-25-2010 at 08:54 PM   #64
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
If you bought this book used, it should have cost $129: http://titles.mcmaster.ca/text/detai...780 495011668

However, the one listed for 1A03 includes the 2 pin codes & 2 solutions manuals...I have no idea if these are necessary, but if they are, you might want to just return the book you bought and buy these...the only problem being, they are only available from Titles as new books, not used. I have no idea if you need the pin codes, but it's something to keep in mind while you're sorting this out. You were told that it's the right book for 1A03 because I'm pretty sure they're the same book, but it's pretty easy for someone to tell you you have the right book without knowing about all of the other stuff--and really, that isn't the employee's fault, since it's your responsibility to know what books you need. However, instead of getting them to refund you the difference, if possible, you might want to wait until classes start (or email the prof) and see if you need the pin codes...that way you can just return the book and get refunded the full $171 or whatever it was, and buy the other one, if you do.

I hope that made sense :S I've had a long day so my communication skills are kind of failing me
You most likely need the Pin Codes. They allow you to access an online program that is used for assignments. I'm not sure if the Math department is still using them but they probably are. You need 1 Pin Code for Math 1A03 and 1 Pin Code for Math 1AA3.

However, you should also be able to buy the PIN code directly from the website that offers the program. That's what I did in first year. I don't remember it costing 50$ though, more like 25$ or 35$. So Titles might just be jacking up the price.

Edit: http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/~haskell/math1a_10-11/webpage.html
Yes, there are online assignments and they are through WebAssign.
Yes, you can buy the access codes online: http://www.webassign.net/pricing/ord...s_codes .html
I still don't know the prices though. It could be as little as 23$, but it could also be more if it's Upgraded Content.

Last edited by jhan523 : 08-25-2010 at 08:59 PM.