MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
single bed guarantee zeiarra Residence & Housing 6 06-02-2011 10:05 PM
Question to people in Health Sci (All levels) CAHopeful General Discussion 9 03-14-2011 11:17 AM
Single rooms Mich123 Wallingford Hall Forum 12 05-09-2010 09:36 PM
Single v. Single with Washroom. etoilex3 Residence & Housing 17 02-09-2010 11:02 AM

Question For All The Single People

Old 12-07-2011 at 05:30 PM   #31
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I wasn't feeling sad (and ths has nothing to do with the holidays) until my friend asked me recently if I've ever been in love (my answer is no). So then I became sad... and now my best girl friend has a boyfriend. I'm so happy for her because she deserves it, and I'm not jealous of them (I'm so happy for them), but more sad that I don't have that, too.

Old 12-07-2011 at 06:03 PM   #32
cwong

Liked: 5 Times

Spending Christmas single is terrific! Think of how much more time you can spend with your family and just do WHATEVER you want, without having to care about your significant other.
I think it's legit, just putting it out there
Old 12-07-2011 at 06:19 PM   #33
estherx

Liked: 0 Times

Not really... i'm busy hanging out with my friends to notice...
Old 12-07-2011 at 06:44 PM   #34
RockerSocker
Account Locked

Liked: 90 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJSchleifer View Post
The only reason for this is that people make it a big deal for themselves. I understand how people got the idea that Valentines day is important for couples, but I don't have any idea how the solstice holidays became associated with relationships. There's no real reason that people should care about relationships more now than a month ago, but for some reason, they do, and because they do, they hate being alone this time of year. I've never associated this time of year with relationships - and my first ever kiss was late December. As for Valentines Day, I honestly care more about the candy than anything else. The rest of Valentines Day is about people decorating everything with shapes resembling a woman's butt while she bends over.
The only possible reason I could see for people associating these times of year with relationships is that mating season is in spring, and you'd want to have a mate for reproduction; but even that isn't really valid because anthropologists are pretty sure that human's don't have a mating season.
If you feel upset that you're alone on Christmas, ask yourself this question: "Why should I care more about being alone today than about being alone on September 8?" (You can substitute September 8 with any date on the calendar, including February 29).
You're assuming humans to be completely logical and rational, which they're not. You have to take into account society and the media which both influence people's thoughts and actions, you can't just look at from a biological point of view.

That being said, it could also be biological. Most babies are born during September and then August in the US. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Science...C-RSSFeeds0312

And 9 months before are December and November, so when the weather starts getting cold and it gets dark earlier, people tend to have the most children. There might be an evolutionary reason for this which stretches back to early humans, e.g. it might be safest for the parents to mate at this time, or it might best for the baby to be born in September for whatever reason. This could mean it could be biologically ingrained in us to desire a partner when it starts to get colder, and the people who say they are fine being single could just be deluding themselves.
Old 12-07-2011 at 06:47 PM   #35
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerSocker View Post
...This could mean it could be biologically ingrained in us to desire a partner when it starts to get colder, and the people who say they are fine being single could just be deluding themselves.
Or they really are fine, and this is a complex issue that has no hard and fast rule, to which you've responded arrogantly and cruely to?

Such a lucky gal.
Old 12-07-2011 at 06:53 PM   #36
RockerSocker
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Or they really are fine, and this is a complex issue that has no hard and fast rule, to which you've responded arrogantly and cruely to?

Such a lucky gal.
Yes, I've already pointed out it's a complex issue and have only proposed hypothetical arguments thus far. Where do you see arrogance or cruelty in that post?
Old 12-07-2011 at 06:55 PM   #37
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I'm sorry, this is irrelevent but as soon as I saw this thread... this is the first thing that came to my mind...

All the single ladies, all the single ladies
If you like it then you better put a ring on it
Woah-oh-oh!

Last edited by lizziepizzie : 12-07-2011 at 07:11 PM.

MirandaC likes this.
Old 12-07-2011 at 06:57 PM   #38
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Yes, I've already pointed out it's a complex issue and have only proposed hypothetical arguments thus far. Where do you see arrogance or cruelty in that post?
Your opening post. You clearly intended to upset people and stir up shit as a primary goal. If your origional post provided this 'evidence'/'support' people wouldn't be responding as such.

You're not so much asking a rhetorical question as you are implying that people should feel bad about themselves during the holiday, all of which comes from the fact that you feel satisfied, and for some reason need to gloat(?).

Old 12-07-2011 at 07:05 PM   #39
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

honestly its enough of a hassel having close friends which are girls..... if i had a gf id go nuts, especially during the holidays so no im completely happy having my freedom during the short breaks between school and work thank you very much
Old 12-07-2011 at 07:11 PM   #40
RockerSocker
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Your opening post. You clearly intended to upset people and stir up shit as a primary goal. If your origional post provided this 'evidence'/'support' people wouldn't be responding as such.

You're not so much asking a rhetorical question as you are implying that people should feel bad about themselves during the holiday, all of which comes from the fact that you feel satisfied, and for some reason need to gloat(?).
You've come to conclusions based on very little. It was a legitimate question, curious as to whether people feel bad for being lonely during this time (yes, admittedly I did add my own viewpoints of the matter in the post, by saying it's "the most magical time of the year" and saying how it "Must suck." But the whole point of message boards is to share your opinions and read those of others. Don't think I did much wrong, other than effectively incite discussion.) Also, notice how I do not mention in the original post whether I, myself, am single or not.
Old 12-07-2011 at 07:50 PM   #41
wesiscool

Liked: 13 Times

One has to be able to deal with loneliness by themselves before being able to go on a relationship that lasts....and having a significant other does not mean my life is suddenly way better (bad misconception). And I'm going to see a lot of unhappy couples as well, so it won't suck that bad.

icecubz, Krazy Sailor like this.
Old 12-07-2011 at 09:18 PM   #42
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
You're assuming humans to be completely logical and rational, which they're not. You have to take into account society and the media which both influence people's thoughts and actions, you can't just look at from a biological point of view.

That being said, it could also be biological. Most babies are born during September and then August in the US. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Science...C-RSSFeeds0312

And 9 months before are December and November, so when the weather starts getting cold and it gets dark earlier, people tend to have the most children. There might be an evolutionary reason for this which stretches back to early humans, e.g. it might be safest for the parents to mate at this time, or it might best for the baby to be born in September for whatever reason. This could mean it could be biologically ingrained in us to desire a partner when it starts to get colder, and the people who say they are fine being single could just be deluding themselves.
I am highly evolved.
Old 12-07-2011 at 10:15 PM   #43
fatcat

Liked: 34 Times

Why do people bother with this pointless thread. RockerSocker is obviously trolling. Needs to make threads such as these to give meaning to his futile and pathetic life and his condescending viewpoints on others' lifestyle reflect his arrogant character. Rocker Socker, I LOVE THE HOLIDAYS because my self esteem and concept of self worth is not delicately attached to another individual, but because I devote my time to my loving family, and volunteer at soup kitchens to spend time with people DO FEEL LONELY because they do in fact have no one.

SO yeah, I'm single, and I'm luvin it, and so are all the other single ppl on here, more power to them. What's wrong? does this turn ur world upside down? umad br0??? UMAD??

oh and don't bother replying to this. I don't frequent often. I have a life ok?

Last edited by fatcat : 12-07-2011 at 10:19 PM.

icecubz, jim1, smojer like this.
Old 12-08-2011 at 12:01 AM   #44
sam_akbari

Liked: 23 Times

*sigh* well there is a minute of my life ill never get back T_T
Old 12-08-2011 at 03:45 AM   #45
Krazy Sailor

Liked: Liked 4 Times

Hmm, hate to burst your bubble rockersocker but I'm perfectly happy being single. I've never had a girlfriend and don't have a single regret to speak of. Also the weather getting colder doesn't make me suddenly long for a girlfriend, it just means its time to dust off the snowboard and get my hockey gear out. Enjoy the holidays with your girlfriend, maybe she can help you fix that chip on your shoulder!