MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Campus Dentist Reviews escape First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-06-2013 10:01 PM
Is there a campus dentist? rcmp1234 General Discussion 17 03-08-2011 05:55 PM
Campus Dentist TLulu General Discussion 7 01-06-2010 04:48 PM
Campus Dentist lawleypop General Discussion 15 09-26-2009 12:24 AM
Dentist on Campus? Allan General Discussion 11 04-08-2009 10:18 PM

question about on campus dentist

Old 02-15-2013 at 05:46 PM   #1
warthog

Liked: 0 Times

question about on campus dentist
does anyone know what kind of filling they use? do they use mercury?

I'm considering making an appointment because I have a cavity, but I'm corncern that they are going to use mercury, or a mixture of mercury with something else. I don't wanna get cancer.

Does anyone have any information?
Old 02-15-2013 at 06:41 PM   #2
hilton

Liked: 42 Times

Pretty sure a licensed dentist (who knows more about dentistry and health than you) wouldn't use any chemical to deliberately harm you.

starfish likes this.
Old 02-15-2013 at 08:34 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Um, yeah, just based on your post it's pretty obvious you don't know what you're talking about.

Mercury is a neurotoxin, not a carcinogen, and at the amount that would be present in a filling it's not going to hurt you. Also, even the people who are convinced that mercury in fillings is horrible and should be banned (despite no clear evidence) aren't saying that it will give you cancer...

Why don't you just call the dentist and ask? You'd have to call or go see them to make an appointment anyways, so why don't you just ask then?
Old 02-15-2013 at 09:20 PM   #4
camelsrfun

Liked: 12 Times

The silver coloured fillingare amalgam. Not sure of the name of the white ones. The amalgam fillings haveadvantages over the white ones, but some people choose the white ones for aesthetic reasons
Old 02-15-2013 at 09:22 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelsrfun View Post
The silver coloured fillingare amalgam. Not sure of the name of the white ones. The amalgam fillings haveadvantages over the white ones, but some people choose the white ones for aesthetic reasons
The white ones are called "composite"
Old 02-15-2013 at 09:46 PM   #6
gallagaj

Liked: 19 Times

Similar to the other posters, I would agree that a dentist is not going to use a chemical to intentionally harm you.

On another note, I would not recommend going to the campus dentist. I had 2 VERY negative experiences there (a little too long to write in the post) and I know several others who had similar experiences. And both of my negative experiences were while getting fillings done, - one for a cavity and another for a craked tooth.

aa492 likes this.
Old 02-16-2013 at 01:56 AM   #7
user9753
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 13 Times

Unsure, but I think composite fillings need to be renewed every 3-4 years, maybe longer. I always go with them either way. If you live in Mississauga I can refer you to a GREAT dentist that works there (based on my experience which involved filling multiple teeth).
Old 02-16-2013 at 07:12 AM   #8
ali11

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagaj View Post
Similar to the other posters, I would agree that a dentist is not going to use a chemical to intentionally harm you.

On another note, I would not recommend going to the campus dentist. I had 2 VERY negative experiences there (a little too long to write in the post) and I know several others who had similar experiences. And both of my negative experiences were while getting fillings done, - one for a cavity and another for a craked tooth.
not sure how long ago your bad experience was -- I had a bad experience too when I went around 2-3 years ago, but their team has since changed. the current dentist (dr. nick) from my multiple visits were very good! i'd recommend them.

as for the fillings -- they only use the white fillings (composites?) at the campus dentist.