MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSAP - Sin Number Question lawleypop Financial Aid 4 09-24-2010 10:54 AM
phone number Hamilton or Oakville cjdzl Computers & Tech 26 09-04-2010 10:40 PM
Rogers LCA change --> oakville numbers Duarch Computers & Tech 34 12-15-2009 02:17 PM
Hamilton vs Oakville number VoyozooT General Discussion 42 09-30-2009 09:33 PM
Getting to McMaster from Oakville khaotic First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-23-2008 12:44 AM

question about getting oakville number

Old 08-27-2009 at 08:11 PM   #1
VoyozooT

Liked: 3 Times

question about getting oakville number
for those of you that have oakville cell numbers, i just want to clear up a few things:

if I am in HAMILTON and i call TORONTO > not local for me
if I am in HAMILTON and i get incoming from TORONTO > local for TORONTO caller

if I am in TORONTO and i call HAMILTON > local??
if I am in TORONTO and i get incoming from HAMILTON > not local for HAMILTON caller

if I am in TORONTO and i call TORONTO > local?? (oakville calling toronto)
if I am in HAMILTON and i call HAMILTON > local?? (oakville calling hamilton)

also what would be out of local area for oakville number? meaning that i have to pay long distance to call.

can someone confirm if these are correct? because I plan to get oakville number and i just want to know my restrictions and what's local and what's not. Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-27-2009 at 08:32 PM   #2
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyozooT View Post
for those of you that have oakville cell numbers, i just want to clear up a few things:

if I am in HAMILTON and i call TORONTO > not local for me- right
if I am in HAMILTON and i get incoming from TORONTO > local for TORONTO caller- right

if I am in TORONTO and i call HAMILTON > local??- no this will be long distance
if I am in TORONTO and i get incoming from HAMILTON > not local for HAMILTON caller- I believe this would be local for the caller

if I am in TORONTO and i call TORONTO > local?? (oakville calling toronto)- yea this will be local (but it may depend on where in toronto you're calling- ask your cell phone provider to confirm)
if I am in HAMILTON and i call HAMILTON > local?? (oakville calling hamilton)- yea this will be local too

also what would be out of local area for oakville number? meaning that i have to pay long distance to call.

can someone confirm if these are correct? because I plan to get oakville number and i just want to know my restrictions and what's local and what's not. Thanks a bunch!
See above for the confirmations/ corrections in the quote box.
Oakville number includes toronto, mississauga, oakville, burlington, and hamilton. Anything other than this area will be out of local area and your cell phone will be in roaming.

Last edited by saukalra : 08-27-2009 at 08:37 PM.

VoyozooT says thanks to saukalra for this post.

VoyozooT likes this.
Old 08-27-2009 at 08:35 PM   #3
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I had an Oakville number and they charged me long distance when I called Toronto.
I was with Rogers and ended up switching to a Hamilton number.

VoyozooT says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 08-27-2009 at 08:39 PM   #4
VoyozooT

wow thanks!!! that clears everything up quadruple thumbs up!! haha
Old 08-27-2009 at 08:43 PM   #5
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
if I am in TORONTO and i call HAMILTON > local??
Incorrect. Although the Oakville calling area covers both Toronto and Hamilton, when you are in Toronto, your phone adopts the Toronto calling area,.which is long distance if calling Hamilton. Your phone always adopts the calling area you are physically located in, and has no connection to what locality your phone number is designated as, for outgoing calls.

Quote:
if I am in TORONTO and i call TORONTO > local?? (oakville calling toronto)
if I am in HAMILTON and i call HAMILTON > local?? (oakville calling hamilton)
If you are anywhere calling the same place, it is local. If you have an Oakville number and you are in Vancouver, and you phone someone in Vancouver, it is local. Reason as above.

FYI, local calling areas are being 'adjusted' (reduced in size) this fall on several networks, and this feature of Oakville numbers may soon cease to exist.
Old 08-27-2009 at 08:46 PM   #6
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

And I guess I should learn to hit reply sooner :p
Old 08-27-2009 at 08:50 PM   #7
niteskie
Elite Member

Liked: 45 Times

Wait..so if my number is a Hamilton number but i'm in Toronto and calling someone in Toronto it's local?
Old 08-27-2009 at 08:55 PM   #8
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteskie View Post
Wait..so if my number is a Hamilton number but i'm in Toronto and calling someone in Toronto it's local?
yes : )

niteskie says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 08-27-2009 at 08:59 PM   #9
niteskie
Elite Member

Liked: 45 Times

Wow...You learn something new everyday.
Old 08-27-2009 at 09:05 PM   #10
nciggle

Liked: 11 Times

Is there some webpage where we can go to see all this information. Cause I've been hearing different things. I've heard Oakville isn't local to Hamilton, but it is to Burlington, where Burlington is local to both Oakville and Hamilton. My cousin from Oakville uses a Burlington number becuase of this. Can anyone clarify this for me? I'm with Bell btw

Noah Ciglen
Honours Arts&Science II
Old 08-27-2009 at 09:45 PM   #11
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nciggle View Post
Is there some webpage where we can go to see all this information. Cause I've been hearing different things. I've heard Oakville isn't local to Hamilton, but it is to Burlington, where Burlington is local to both Oakville and Hamilton. My cousin from Oakville uses a Burlington number becuase of this. Can anyone clarify this for me? I'm with Bell btw
Hamilton to Oakville is long distance.
Old 08-27-2009 at 10:12 PM   #12
Vic.And

Liked: 2 Times

with an oakville number:

-calling toronto while in toronto or hamilton in while hamilton is local
-calling toronto from hamilton or hamilton from toronto is long distance
-receiving calls from hamilton while in toronto or from toronto while in hamilton is local

VoyozooT says thanks to Vic.And for this post.
Old 08-27-2009 at 10:19 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic.And View Post
receiving calls from hamilton while in toronto or from toronto while in hamilton is local
What? That's not how receiving works for cellphones:

This is from my post in another thread:
Quote:
The number you have belongs to a certain antenna (or whatever those gigantic towers in the ground are). When someone calls you, the call goes to your antenna. Therefore, if you are in the local area of your antenna all receiving calls are local but if you are not in the local area of your antenna then they charge you long distance since they have to "borrow" another antenna to call you (I think they use an alternate antenna, either that or they boost the power).
Old 08-27-2009 at 10:19 PM   #14
VoyozooT

wow this stuff just got more confusing lol...and i also wish there was a site for all this info haha, well that's y i made this thread to get everyone's experience and knowledge with oakville numbers

But overall if you're living in Toronto and go to Mac, Oakville number is better to get than Hamilton number?
Old 08-27-2009 at 10:21 PM   #15
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorVaughn View Post
Incorrect. Although the Oakville calling area covers both Toronto and Hamilton, when you are in Toronto, your phone adopts the Toronto calling area,.which is long distance if calling Hamilton. Your phone always adopts the calling area you are physically located in, and has no connection to what locality your phone number is designated as, for outgoing calls.

If you are anywhere calling the same place, it is local. If you have an Oakville number and you are in Vancouver, and you phone someone in Vancouver, it is local. Reason as above.

FYI, local calling areas are being 'adjusted' (reduced in size) this fall on several networks, and this feature of Oakville numbers may soon cease to exist.

what about roaming charges?