MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chem 1A03 question jake0405 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-10-2012 07:03 PM
Question... Linguistics 1A03 , HlthAge 1BB3 , Envr Sci 1A03 or Woman ST 1A03? sumxo First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 06-27-2012 09:56 PM
Question For All The Single People RockerSocker Dating & Relationships 39 12-08-2011 10:39 AM
English 1A03 Question Mohji Academics 0 09-12-2011 01:17 PM
Question to people in Health Sci (All levels) CAHopeful General Discussion 9 03-14-2011 11:17 AM

Question for people who have taken Bio 1A03?

Old 06-07-2013 at 11:54 AM   #1
kaytuh

Liked: 6 Times

Question for people who have taken Bio 1A03?
Who is better, Zhu or Kajiura?
I heard next year they're not switching halfway, it's just Zhu first semester and Kajiura second semester.
I know this sounds bad but I want the one that will give me the better mark in the end. I also have a very short attention span and I fall asleep a lot during class so paying attention during the lectures is really hard for me. Which do you think would work better for me?
Thank you!
Old 06-07-2013 at 12:04 PM   #2
alexkour

Liked: 0 Times

I've had both profs (each for half sem). The main difference between them is that they have very different teaching styles.

Kajiura tends to baby you and do things very slowly and step by step, which some people prefer. Her notes you take in class are helpful but not nearly in depth enough for you to study from, you needed to read the textbook thoroughly to know the details. Another thing to note is that her tests are relatively hard, unless you have tests from previous years to study from.

Zhu posts very detailed lecture slides and she mostly reads off of them during lecture, so there isn't much point going to class. Because her slides are so detailed, we were told that we were not going to be tested on the textbook, only what she said in lecture. One benefit is that her tests are pretty easy and straight forward. Everyone I know perferred her tests over Kajiura's.

Overall, both profs are alright. I personally preferred Zhu over Kajiura, but I know a lot of people that liked Kajiura as well.

kaytuh says thanks to alexkour for this post.
Old 06-07-2013 at 12:07 PM   #3
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytuh View Post
Who is better, Zhu or Kajiura?
I heard next year they're not switching halfway, it's just Zhu first semester and Kajiura second semester.
I know this sounds bad but I want the one that will give me the better mark in the end. I also have a very short attention span and I fall asleep a lot during class so paying attention during the lectures is really hard for me. Which do you think would work better for me?
Thank you!
Difficulty: Kajiura is a bit harder, but they are both very easy.
Lecture: Kajiura is a better lecturer, but Zhu has better/more complete notes. If you can't pay attention in class (such as writing things down, taking notes from lectures) then Kajiura might be difficult for you to handle.
Personally, I think Zhu might work better for you, but the majority of people like Kajiura better. But in my opinion, both profs are good

kaytuh says thanks to gggggg for this post.
Old 06-07-2013 at 12:07 PM   #4
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

Zhu is apparently easier since she is pretty new. But SHE WILL MAKE YOU sleep...I heard she just read off the slides.

Kajiura's lectures aren't boring because she asks a lot of questions and really knows how to get you thinking. I think she is the only prof that does this: she has outline format notes and all you do is print it off and write where it's blank. I heard it makes it really easy to study, I wrote all my notes so I can't give you my experience. Since Kajiura is a veteran who has been teaching this course for 15 years and still going, she can tell you all you need to know.

She lets you know what to focus on (for ex she tells you what diagrams to understand because trust me, she might ask you how a fatty acid looks like). Kajiura may be better because she can teach. But is better in the sense she may not require you to put in much effort.

Kajiura also teaches you how to study. She may get repetitive, but I learned how to improve my study habits dramatically and she is so approachable. She responds to emails pretty fast.

I find Kajiura's teaching style involves active learning since she provides space on her notes to let everyone copy. Her notes also have questions and they also have figure and diagram numbers that correspond to what's found in the textbook.

All the best!

kaytuh says thanks to AnimeGamer31 for this post.
Old 06-07-2013 at 12:26 PM   #5
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

I haven't had Zhu before, but Kajiura was a decent professor for me. She was a good lecturer, although she went off topic a lot to talk about her life. Her midterms were straight from the lecture notes, and "Canadian content" that was in the textbook. She made it seem more like a high school course than a university course, which might be good for first year .

kaytuh says thanks to Angoose for this post.
Old 06-07-2013 at 12:41 PM   #6
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Honestly? Neither are amazing and if you know how to study and manage your time well, you will get a decent to good mark. Kajiura lectures a bit better (but wastes a lot of time fielding useless questions) but her notes are next to useless so you'll have to work hard and study on your own anyway. Zhu is a poor lecturer, so even though she has good notes you will have to work hard and study anyway because her lectures are bad. Either way, put in the time and you'll be fine.

kaytuh says thanks to Quiver for this post.
Old 06-07-2013 at 12:59 PM   #7
mastercool

Liked: 22 Times

Choose Zhu. You will be in a MUCH better position to do well in the class.

I know tons of people who failed Kajiuras tests. You will be better off without her....

Last edited by mastercool : 06-07-2013 at 01:04 PM.

kaytuh says thanks to mastercool for this post.