MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Year's Questions...full courses... Danielle.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-13-2010 10:45 PM
Course Cancelled, and I DIDNT DO IT! resh.jyoti First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 03-02-2010 07:11 PM
cancelled courses on transcript? misterp Academics 3 10-20-2009 11:29 PM
Questions about a couple of courses: Econ, History, Indig St aani Academics 3 06-18-2009 08:31 PM
Courses, roomates and other assorted questions Tailsnake First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 08-24-2008 07:23 PM

Questions about cancelled courses

Old 01-25-2011 at 07:06 PM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Questions about cancelled courses
I'm talking about courses that you cancel after the drop and add period, and they show up as "Cancelled" on your transcript. I have two or three "cancelled" courses already, and I might have another this term.

I'm currently doing my second degree, and I'm probably not going to grad school (so I don't have to worry about that). But I might come back to Mac next year OR I might go to another university. Does it look bad to have cancelled courses on your transcript?

Also, I read on the Mac site given below that "Cancelled courses are subject to cancellation fees, and may have other financial consequences (i.e. Reduced OSAP entitlement, loss of Entrance Scholarship or MSU Supplementary Fees)" Will I receive less OSAP or have to pay more MSU fees if I cancel courses? I don't really understand this.

Any help is appreciated!

http://www.mcmaster.ca/bms/student/p...eadlines.p df
Old 01-25-2011 at 07:16 PM   #2
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

I don't really have an answer for you, but Im curious...how come you're thinking of coming back next year again? Like whats the reason for doing a 2nd degree and then coming back? Im just curious, maybe you know something the rest of us dont
Old 01-25-2011 at 07:33 PM   #3
Kathy2
Elite Member

I don't really have a reason! I just really like school, and I don't know what I want to do when I graduate for the final time. So I keep coming back
Old 01-25-2011 at 07:42 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

The cancellation fees can be found here: http://www.mcmaster.ca/bms/student/p...ncellation.pdf

The other financial consequences are based on the number of units you're taking...all of the things they listed are dependent on whether or not you're a full-time student. If dropping the course means you no longer meet the number of units to qualify as 'full-time', then things like OSAP will be affected. The change to your overall tuition could also be a factor, but I think the number of units is more important.
Old 01-25-2011 at 07:45 PM   #5
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

I cancelled one of my courses last year and took it over the summer instead. It says CAN on my transcript. Good question Kathy! I'd like to know this as well.
Old 01-25-2011 at 08:06 PM   #6
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
The cancellation fees can be found here: http://www.mcmaster.ca/bms/student/p...ncellation.pdf

The other financial consequences are based on the number of units you're taking...all of the things they listed are dependent on whether or not you're a full-time student. If dropping the course means you no longer meet the number of units to qualify as 'full-time', then things like OSAP will be affected. The change to your overall tuition could also be a factor, but I think the number of units is more important.
This is what I was thinking too - but I'm wondering why the site didn't specifically explain the OSAP/full time/part time thing.
Old 01-25-2011 at 08:13 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
This is what I was thinking too - but I'm wondering why the site didn't specifically explain the OSAP/full time/part time thing.
It depends on each person's specific case. I don't think they can easily generalize it.

Kathy2 says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 01-25-2011 at 08:15 PM   #8
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

cancelled a course from first semester of last school year.. but i took it second sem (so i had a 4/6 split)... i got roughly the same amount of osap this year.. like some one said.. it probly just has to doo with the whole FT/PT thing