MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Students for Health Innovation Speaker Series: Pediatric Mental Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-21-2011 11:39 AM
Health Innovation Lecture Series: Chronic Conditions & Child Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 10-15-2010 09:33 PM
Admission Questions (Health & Life Sciences) Damian-F First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-15-2010 11:29 PM
Health Sciences Transfer executive_03 Academics 3 12-18-2008 03:37 AM

Questions from a Health Sci transfer

Old 05-31-2011 at 10:05 PM   #1
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Questions from a Health Sci transfer
So I found out a couple days ago that I got into the Health Sci program for my second year, after completing my first year in Life Sci and I had a couple questions regarding the program and the courseload.

Firstly, I'm interested in the Global Health Specialization, but I notice that the two second year health science anatomy courses aren't part of the mandatory courses in that specialization, which I found really disappointing because I was really looking forward to them. I only have two elective courses, which I will probably use for orgo, so if I do go into GHS, I won't be able to take those anatomy courses. So now I'm debating between going for the specialization or just staying in the regular Health Sci program. My question is, how good is the specialization compared to just the honours program? Would anyone suggest I go into the specialization?

Secondly, I hear that second year Health Sciences is really tough in terms of course work and especially so if you are a transfer student. So if there are any transfer students who were in the same situation as me, what did you think of the transition? I put in considerable effort and work in my first year and I found it quite manageable so I'm hoping next year won't be too bad.

Any comments are appreciated!
Old 05-31-2011 at 10:14 PM   #2
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

I'm not sure but I think you apply for the Biomedical or Global Health Specializations after Level I as we did for our Level II programs.. I don't think they're open to transfer students.

EDIT: Ya I think I'm right.

"Entry to this program begins in Level II. Students wishing to apply must successfully complete Health Sciences I."
Source

EDIT #2:Nvm, guess I was wrong

Last edited by RememberTwce : 05-31-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2011 at 10:20 PM   #3
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

No, transfer students can still apply to the specializations. You just have to email one of the BHSC coordinators.
Old 05-31-2011 at 10:26 PM   #4
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
No, transfer students can still apply to the specializations. You just have to email one of the BHSC coordinators.
Hmmm well this really affects my decision.

Mind giving me the email ?
Old 05-31-2011 at 10:31 PM   #5
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Haha I'll message you, wouldn't want her to get spammed
Old 05-31-2011 at 10:40 PM   #6
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
Haha I'll message you, wouldn't want her to get spammed
True true. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2011 at 02:12 PM   #7
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

hey guys, i'm in the same boat, need a PM please lol

and it would be great if some health sci students could tell us more about the specializations in health sci. i'm currently having difficulty deciding between biochemistry (biomed sci) specialization, and health sci (if i accept, i'd take the biomedical sciences option). apart from the teaching style differences, what other differences are there between the programs?

also, what's the deal with the Global Health specialization, is it more social science than natural science?
Old 06-01-2011 at 02:17 PM   #8
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo92 View Post
hey guys, i'm in the same boat, need a PM please lol

and it would be great if some health sci students could tell us more about the specializations in health sci. i'm currently having difficulty deciding between biochemistry (biomed sci) specialization, and health sci (if i accept, i'd take the biomedical sciences option). apart from the teaching style differences, what other differences are there between the programs?

also, what's the deal with the Global Health specialization, is it more social science than natural science?
I'm in the exact same situation, having narrowed it down to those same two. -_- Core health sci may still be in the running too, not really sure what to pick at this point.

That's a total of 4 people (out of 20 total) who got in as transfers and are on MacInsiders. Woah

Edit: I PM'd you the email.

Last edited by RememberTwce : 06-01-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-01-2011 at 02:42 PM   #9
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

^ Thanks man..

i'm just hesitating because i'm unsure if a health sci biomed is as useful as a biochem biomed when it comes to research...and like Bernard i'm not sure how difficult the transition might be. where are all the health sci kids hiding? -_-
Old 06-01-2011 at 02:57 PM   #10
dumbconsumer

Liked: 80 Times

Some things to consider guys:
In specializations, mainly going to mention the biomed specialization here, you get:
between 2-3 courses worth of electives in third year
maximum of 1-3 courses worth of electives in fourth year
you have a mandatory senior thesis.
mandatory organic chemistry.
In core health sci:
6 courses worth of electives in third year
6-7 courses worth of electives in fourth year
No mandatory thesis, you can do a smaller senior project.

I'm med bound, and a transfer kid (probably one of the 4 remembertwce mentioned already) and I'm sticking to core health sci, just so I have more freedom in later years. However it's in inarguable that through a specialization you'd get a thorough understanding of the biomedical sciences, have something good to demonstrate to med schools on how you pushed yourself, and/or have excellent experience for grad schools or research based careers. Just make sure it doesn't come at the cost of your GPA.

/my two cents.

RememberTwce says thanks to dumbconsumer for this post.
Old 06-01-2011 at 03:08 PM   #11
dumbconsumer

Also, just in case you guys are curious, outside of the 4 people involved in this thread (I'm assuming Bernard is the Bernard I know IRL, if not, then two kids named bernard transferred lol), I personally know 3 more people that have been given the transfer option, only two of them are confirmed accepting it. Last year's transfer inquiry class had 17 kids, so even if 20 offers are given, not all are accepted.
At the moment, of the 7 I know (including you guys), there are 5 men and 2 women, and I think everyone of the 7 is a faculty of science kid from mcmaster.
/pointless statistics.

RememberTwce says thanks to dumbconsumer for this post.
Old 06-01-2011 at 03:28 PM   #12
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

Quote:

Secondly, I hear that second year Health Sciences is really tough in terms of course work and especially so if you are a transfer student. So if there are any transfer students who were in the same situation as me, what did you think of the transition? I put in considerable effort and work in my first year and I found it quite manageable so I'm hoping next year won't be too bad.

Any comments are appreciated!

Congrats on getting in!

And LOL at your Health Sciences is tough. You'll find it a lot easier than Life Science I. It might be a little heavy in-terms of catching up, but tough not at all.
Old 06-01-2011 at 03:43 PM   #13
dumbconsumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia View Post
Congrats on getting in!

And LOL at your Health Sciences is tough. You'll find it a lot easier than Life Science I. It might be a little heavy in-terms of catching up, but tough not at all.
speak from experience or what you've heard?
/curious
Old 06-01-2011 at 03:45 PM   #14
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Ok. I'm not in either is the specs, but I can answer a few questions. First, while I have no idea what the biochem program is like, but I know the ppl in biomed spec of health sci appear to be super busy doing awesome research and it sounds pretty intense/but awesome.

Second thing I wanted to say-you can still take anatomy when you're in global health. Most (if not all) of my friends in global health took anatomy this year with the rest of us. You can even take it in your third year if you wanted too. I will try and find people to come help with your decisions, because I know very little about the specs .

Last edited by crazyfree : 06-01-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-01-2011 at 03:48 PM   #15
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbconsumer View Post
speak from experience or what you've heard?
/curious
I had housemates are in Health Science. If you take the right courses, you will have a ton of free time which people use to volunteer pursue other goals, so they always seem busy.