MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Students for Health Innovation Speaker Series: Pediatric Mental Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-21-2011 11:39 AM
Health Innovation Lecture Series: Chronic Conditions & Child Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 10-15-2010 09:33 PM
Admission Questions (Health & Life Sciences) Damian-F First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-15-2010 11:29 PM
Health Sciences Transfer executive_03 Academics 3 12-18-2008 03:37 AM

Questions from a Health Sci transfer

Old 06-02-2011 at 05:01 AM   #31
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbconsumer View Post
<unrelated> so you decided on health sci huh? : ) see you in inquiry I guess </unrelated>
I thought about it and this just seems like the right decision.

Just gotta look into the Biomed specialization vs. Core Health Sci.

Either way, can't wait for inquiry

Buddastotle likes this.
Old 06-02-2011 at 11:08 AM   #32
ctyctycty

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alessandro91 View Post
Congratulations on receiving your transfer offers! I can hopefully answer some of your questions, as I transferred into Health Sci last year and am also in the Global Health Specialization. For GH, we took 2 courses, one that was in first semester and another that spanned both semesters. The first course allowed us to gain a deeper understanding of factors affecting health in developing nations (we looked at structural violence quite a bit, biological factors, socioeconomic factors, etc.). This was an amazing course, as was the other, which involved a lot of ethics and preparing us for third year. As Sarah mentioned, virtually all of us took both anatomy courses (I believe there was only one person out of 30 who chose not to take them).

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
hi! i'm also transferring into hsci and after reading your post i'm really interested in GH specialization. do you think you could tell me more about it? i'm wondering about 2DS3...it's listed as a req course for the specialization but i cant find in on the mac course listings. also the description of 2q03 is vague, do you think you could tell me more about your experience in it? is it essay, pbl, or lecture etc based?

most importantly, tell me about the exchange opportunity! i've always wanted to go on exchange. is it possible to do it through bhsc without being in GH spec? if not, what is the GH exchange like?

thanks a bunch
-cheryl
Old 06-02-2011 at 12:10 PM   #33
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

What are or where can i find the pre-requisite requirements for transferring into Health Sciences from Life Science I?
Old 06-02-2011 at 12:18 PM   #34
allstarme

Liked: 17 Times

Wow, there are so many health sci transfers in this thread! I'm kind of curious, do you think they bumped up the number of transfers this year? If not, this means we have almost half of our class in this thread right now, and we should do introductions 8)
Old 06-02-2011 at 12:19 PM   #35
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkolb31 View Post
What are or where can i find the pre-requisite requirements for transferring into Health Sciences from Life Science I?
These are the requirements you would follow. Read the two sections under "Transfer Applicants"
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...12/pg1267.html

Philipp31 says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.

Philipp31 likes this.
Old 06-02-2011 at 12:21 PM   #36
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstarme View Post
Wow, there are so many health sci transfers in this thread! I'm kind of curious, do you think they bumped up the number of transfers this year? If not, this means we have almost half of our class in this thread right now, and we should do introductions 8)
I really doubt the number changed. Maybe more people are just resourceful and they know about MI

Old 06-02-2011 at 12:25 PM   #37
allstarme

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkolb31 View Post
http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/bhsc/admissionslevel2.html
It's a minimum CA of 10.0, and you get to write those fun little essay questions again..

oops late reply
how do i delete posts?
Old 06-02-2011 at 01:39 PM   #38
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstarme View Post
Haha maybe the other half of the transfers will show up soon. I think there are still only 20 of us. Maybe we should make a Facebook page for those introductions

ctyctycty, RememberTwce like this.
Old 06-02-2011 at 01:40 PM   #39
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

You will find much more answers on learn link. Aka health science secret fortress
Old 06-02-2011 at 01:48 PM   #40
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusenik View Post
You will find much more answers on learn link. Aka health science secret fortress
I don't think we can access that just yet
Old 06-02-2011 at 01:49 PM   #41
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Haha maybe the other half of the transfers will show up soon. I think there are still only 20 of us. Maybe we should make a Facebook page for those introductions
I'm sure there will be lots of opportunities to meet other transfer students as well as other 2nd year Health Scis. I remember one of my friends was telling me about a campfire get-together thing that happened at the beginning of the year to get everyone meet the transfer students and whatnot. So I'm sure there will be something like that this year as well!
Old 06-02-2011 at 09:54 PM   #42
dmmonition

Liked: 0 Times

Congraduations to all the successful Health Science transfer applicants. The decision was supposed to be made by the end of May, but I applied for transfer from a different university and there were issues that postponed the processing of my application. Apparently I am due to find out soon. I am wondering from those who got in, what sort of gpa was really required (I am guessing that meeting the minimum is not enough.) If I get rejected, I kind of want to know whether it was my marks of my application that did it. Thanks a lot and congrats again
Old 06-02-2011 at 09:54 PM   #43
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Could anyone answer this please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Ok I have another question. I understand that one of the second year Health Sci courses is a pass/fail course. So I know someone who transferred into Health Sci last year and he decided to take six courses first semester since one of them was just pass/fail. Would anyone recommend this?

Lulie likes this.
Old 06-02-2011 at 09:54 PM   #44
dmmonition

Liked: 0 Times

Transfer Question
Congratulations to all the successful Health Science transfer applicants. The decision was supposed to be made by the end of May, but I applied for transfer from a different university and there were issues that postponed the processing of my application. Apparently I am due to find out soon. I am wondering from those who got in, what sort of gpa was really required (I am guessing that meeting the minimum is not enough.) If I get rejected, I kind of want to know whether it was my marks of my application that did it. Thanks a lot and congrats again
Old 06-02-2011 at 09:56 PM   #45
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Not 100% sure on this, but from what I hear, if you meet the minimum GPA, all that matters is your supplementary application.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmonition View Post
Congraduations to all the successful Health Science transfer applicants. The decision was supposed to be made by the end of May, but I applied for transfer from a different university and there were issues that postponed the processing of my application. Apparently I am due to find out soon. I am wondering from those who got in, what sort of gpa was really required (I am guessing that meeting the minimum is not enough.) If I get rejected, I kind of want to know whether it was my marks of my application that did it. Thanks a lot and congrats again