MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Students for Health Innovation Speaker Series: Pediatric Mental Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-21-2011 11:39 AM
Health Innovation Lecture Series: Chronic Conditions & Child Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 10-15-2010 09:33 PM
Admission Questions (Health & Life Sciences) Damian-F First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-15-2010 11:29 PM
Health Sciences Transfer executive_03 Academics 3 12-18-2008 03:37 AM

Questions from a Health Sci transfer

Old 06-02-2011 at 10:00 PM   #46
dmmonition

Liked: 0 Times

Yeah that is what I hear. According to the website actually they 'say' it is marks and supplementary...yet I do not think that was the case for the high school admission into the program. I spoke to a friend of mine at McMaster though and he said that only people with 3.9+ got in from McMaster.
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:03 PM   #47
paperplanes

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmonition View Post
Yeah that is what I hear. According to the website actually they 'say' it is marks and supplementary...yet I do not think that was the case for the high school admission into the program. I spoke to a friend of mine at McMaster though and he said that only people with 3.9+ got in from McMaster.

For highschool you still needed 90% + average I believe to be considered.
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:04 PM   #48
dmmonition

Yeah yeah, but I am refering to the transfer into second year of Health Science
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:04 PM   #49
dmmonition

You need a 9 apparently, but I heard (may be untrue) that only people with extremely high gpas get in
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:05 PM   #50
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
You need a 9 apparently, but I heard (may be untrue) that only people with extremely high gpas get in
I'm almost certain it's exactly like high school (past the cutoff marks don't matter).

I had a measly 10.0 and I got in as a transfer.

Because of my extremely low physics mark, my GPA was only 3.63 (weak I know).

[Before you other transfers think I'm a dumb ass, I have to say I did not enjoy many of the life sci classes (PSYCH 1X03, PSYCH 1XX3, BIO 1M03) and I never do well in uninteresting material]

Last edited by RememberTwce : 06-02-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:10 PM   #51
dmmonition

Oh awesome. Thanks for the reply and congrats! I had a 3.7..ALSO because of a bad physics mark (damn electromagnetism.) It would feel better being rejected based on a subjective interpretation of my supplementary application, rather than marks which are pretty objective. Do you have any idea how many Mac students got in as transfers?
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:11 PM   #52
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
Oh awesome. Thanks for the reply and congrats! I had a 3.7..ALSO because of a bad physics mark (damn electromagnetism.) It would feel better being rejected based on a subjective interpretation of my supplementary application, rather than marks which are pretty objective. Do you have any idea how many Mac students got in as transfers?
Not sure at all although I would think most of the applicants would be Mac Life Sci students.

And thank you, I appreciate it!
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:13 PM   #53
dmmonition

Makes sense, makes sense. Thanks dude.
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:19 PM   #54
Buddastotle

Liked: 5 Times

do you guys recommed taking physics in summer school then?, rather than allowing it to affect my gpa

Last edited by Buddastotle : 06-02-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:23 PM   #55
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddastotle View Post
do you guys recommed taking physics in summer school then?, rather than allowing it to affect my gpa ?
There's no one answer to this question. Depends on what you're planning to use your GPA for. If you're concerned about the number on your transcript, then it doesn't matter when you take it.

If you're looking for med , it'd be better to take it during the summer as some schools don't consider summer marks in their calculations. However, some schools do look at summer grades.

My suggestion is to prioritize taking physics when an easy prof is teaching it.
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:25 PM   #56
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
do you guys recommed taking physics in summer school then?, rather than allowing it to affect my gpa
When applying to McMaster medical school they're still gonna count it in your GPA so it doesn't matter.

All other schools pretty much let you eliminate your weakest year so it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:25 PM   #57
dumbconsumer

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
my present count is that of the possible 20 kids, 8 are confirmed mcmaster faculty of science. Also, I only know about 8 kids thus far, so yea. What University are you applying from? /curious
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:29 PM   #58
alessandro91

Liked: 3 Times

From my year - 14 from mac, one from pensylvania, one from york and one from western
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:30 PM   #59
Buddastotle

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
When applying to McMaster medical school they're still gonna count it in your GPA so it doesn't matter.

All other schools pretty much let you eliminate your weakest year so it shouldn't be an issue.

Yeahh im aware, but physics just seems scary, i did really good in grade physics ;but, it like everyone says first year physics is grade 12 review, but its really hard :S

Is it really that much harder than chem and bio?
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:33 PM   #60
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
Yeahh im aware, but physics just seems scary, i did really good in grade physics ;but, it like everyone says first year physics is grade 12 review, but its really hard :S

Is it really that much harder than chem and bio?
No it's really just another course.

For me personally, the lectures were either at 830 (i have yet to stay awake through a class this early) or late at night (i would have to wait 3-4 hours to attend the lecture), so I rarely went to class.

Furthermore, my last exam was physics and I really didn't care about it enough to study.

Finally, I am not a big fan of physics and I have a hard time learning anything I don't like.