MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Students for Health Innovation Speaker Series: Pediatric Mental Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-21-2011 11:39 AM
Health Innovation Lecture Series: Chronic Conditions & Child Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 10-15-2010 09:33 PM
Admission Questions (Health & Life Sciences) Damian-F First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-15-2010 11:29 PM
Health Sciences Transfer executive_03 Academics 3 12-18-2008 03:37 AM

Questions from a Health Sci transfer

Old 06-02-2011 at 10:33 PM   #61
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddastotle View Post
Yeahh im aware, but physics just seems scary, i did really good in grade physics ;but, it like everyone says first year physics is grade 12 review, but its really hard :S

Is it really that much harder than chem and bio?
No it's really just another course.

For me personally, the lectures were either at 830 (i have yet to stay awake through a class this early) or late at night (i would have to wait 3-4 hours to attend the lecture), so I rarely went to class.

Furthermore, my last exam was physics and I really didn't care about it enough to study.

Finally, I am not a big fan of physics and I have a hard time learning anything I don't like.
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:34 PM   #62
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Yeahh im aware, but physics just seems scary, i did really good in grade physics ;but, it like everyone says first year physics is grade 12 review, but its really hard :S

Is it really that much harder than chem and bio?
It was one of my lowest marks during undergrad and I'm not really that much of a slouch when it comes to physics. Some of my friends who are fairly intelligent individuals didn't do as well in the course either.

That being said, people do get 12s in 1B03, especially when certain profs are teaching it.
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:36 PM   #63
Buddastotle

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
No it's really just another course.

For me personally, the lectures were either at 830 (i have yet to stay awake through a class this early) or late at night (i would have to wait 3-4 hours to attend the lecture), so I rarely went to class.

Furthermore, my last exam was physics and I really didn't care about it enough to study.

Finally, I am not a big fan of physics and I have a hard time learning anything I don't like.

Yeah, thats pretty much like me, did you have reinsstander?(mispell ed lol)
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:37 PM   #64
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Could anyone answer this please?
I don't know about overloading in second year, but I overloaded in first year because I was afraid of physics 1b03 and figured that by overloading I could just drop it if I did crappy on the midterms and still have a 30 unit course load. Sneaky i know. But I ended up doing extremely well in physics and just never dropped my other elective. Would I recommend it? I'd say it's possible but you have to realize that it will take up some of your time. So if you'd rather do an extracurricular then maybe don't overload, but if taking a course interests you more, go for it! plus, you always have that option of dropping one if things go.. not as planned

Old 06-02-2011 at 10:39 PM   #65
mini1s

Liked: 0 Times

Quick question, do we find out if we have been accepted into health sciences on our grade report?
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:40 PM   #66
Buddastotle

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni View Post
I don't know about overloading in second year, but I overloaded in first year because I was afraid of physics 1b03 and figured that by overloading I could just drop it if I did crappy on the midterms and still have a 30 unit course load. Sneaky i know. But I ended up doing extremely well in physics and just never dropped my other elective. Would I recommend it? I'd say it's possible but you have to realize that it will take up some of your time. So if you'd rather do an extracurricular then maybe don't overload, but if taking a course interests you more, go for it! plus, you always have that option of dropping one if things go.. not as planned
Thats pretty logical lol, Do you know if thats possible for life science students? Cause i am scared of physics 1b03 aswell
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:41 PM   #67
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Yea it says at the bottom of your grade report which programs you are eligible for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini1s View Post
Quick question, do we find out if we have been accepted into health sciences on our grade report?
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:43 PM   #68
alessandro91

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
woow york? i guess that prove that institution doesnt matter at all, it all based on the supplementary then after you meet the cut off: however, the 14 from mac is indicative of alot though
Fourteen from Mac is pretty much only indicative that most of the transfer applications probably come from Mac to begin with. The York comment is rude and unnecessary.

dumbconsumer, terrafirma like this.
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:43 PM   #69
mini1s

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Yea it says at the bottom of your grade report which programs you are eligible for.

Thank-you! I wasn't sure if we recieved an email in addition to the grade report!
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:44 PM   #70
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

The cutoff thing for high school isn't true, it depends on the number of applicants and their marks. I know for a fact that last year no one with an average under 94% was considered for first year BHSc.

And no worries, I did terrible in physics too

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
I'm almost certain it's exactly like high school (past the cutoff marks don't matter).

I had a measly 10.0 and I got in as a transfer.

Because of my extremely low physics mark, my GPA was only 3.63 (weak I know).

[Before you other transfers think I'm a dumb ass, I have to say I did not enjoy many of the life sci classes (PSYCH 1X03, PSYCH 1XX3, BIO 1M03) and I never do well in uninteresting material]
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:47 PM   #71
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Yeah, thats pretty much like me, did you have reinsstander?(mispell ed lol)
Yes I did. Great teacher. I went to a few of Hughes' classes and did not enjoy it at all.
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:47 PM   #72
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
The cutoff thing for high school isn't true, it depends on the number of applicants and their marks. I know for a fact that last year no one with an average under 94% was considered for first year BHSc.
I don't think there is any validity in this.
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:54 PM   #73
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
I doubt that. I barely made the cut-off for health sci and got in.

Old 06-02-2011 at 10:58 PM   #74
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
I doubt that. I barely made the cut-off for health sci and got in.
Was that for last year though? Because the percentage fluctuates from year to year
Old 06-02-2011 at 11:01 PM   #75
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Was that for last year though? Because the percentage fluctuates from year to year
The year before (2009). But I still highly doubt that not a single person within 90-93 got in last year.