MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Students for Health Innovation Speaker Series: Pediatric Mental Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-21-2011 11:39 AM
Health Innovation Lecture Series: Chronic Conditions & Child Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 10-15-2010 09:33 PM
Admission Questions (Health & Life Sciences) Damian-F First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-15-2010 11:29 PM
Health Sciences Transfer executive_03 Academics 3 12-18-2008 03:37 AM

Questions from a Health Sci transfer

Old 06-09-2011 at 02:11 PM   #106
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

I'm taking 2B03 and 2BB3 French because I plan on minoring in French
Old 06-09-2011 at 05:41 PM   #107
dumbconsumer

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
So what's everyone taking as their electives?
probably a first year econ and a second year psych...still working out the specifics...how about you?
Old 06-09-2011 at 10:25 PM   #108
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Couple questions about the courses

For Cell Bio 2K03, in the course description it says PBL and Computer Laboratories (Three hours), which I assume are the lectures. But in the undergraduate course timetable, only two hours of lectures are listed, Monday and Wednesday from 8:30 - 9:20. So is there something I'm missing?

Also, for the anatomy courses, are tutorials every other week as well or is it just the labs? And do I have to keep the same lab time in 2FF3 that I had in 2F03 or am I free to switch?
Old 06-09-2011 at 10:46 PM   #109
dumbconsumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post

For Cell Bio 2K03, in the course description it says PBL and Computer Laboratories (Three hours), which I assume are the lectures. But in the undergraduate course timetable, only two hours of lectures are listed, Monday and Wednesday from 8:30 - 9:20. So is there something I'm missing?

Also, for the anatomy courses, are tutorials every other week as well or is it just the labs? And do I have to keep the same lab time in 2FF3 that I had in 2F03 or am I free to switch?
The lectures are phantom slotted. I was originally so pissed to have monday 8:30 lectures looool. Not fully sure on the anatomy question, but scheduling problems aside, if the anatomy labs are done in groups, i'd personally suggest sticking with one group for coherency sake (unless your group sucks)
Old 06-09-2011 at 10:54 PM   #110
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

What does phantom slotted mean? Lol yea I know what you mean, I hate waking up so early and it's not like I end early on some of those days either. Honestly, my second semester schedule sucks.
Old 06-09-2011 at 10:59 PM   #111
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:

Yeah the only thing you have to go for in cell bio is the tutorials. They ARE the class. The only time you might ever have to go to lecture is the first week.

And it's fine you can switch up your anatomy tutorial from one semester to another. The groups you form are only per semester, because they're two separate courses technically. And yeah, you alternate lab/tutorial the whole semester.

Old 06-09-2011 at 11:09 PM   #112
dumbconsumer

Quote:
What does phantom slotted mean? Lol yea I know what you mean, I hate waking up so early and it's not like I end early on some of those days either. Honestly, my second semester schedule sucks.
what the poster above me implied^^^
this is how my health science friend put it:
"2K03 - Cell Bio. so the core lectures don't exist (830 monday and Wed), its just that they need to have them there so its classified as a course. hence the "phantom slot". really, you get into a group, are assigned a facilitator with a special topic, and research it. presentations EOW at your tutorial, and you have to go to the other presentations the next week to listen, take notes and write up stuff. Difficult, tiring, but highly enjoyable."

allstarme, RememberTwce all say thanks to dumbconsumer for this post.
Old 06-09-2011 at 11:23 PM   #113
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Ohh that's good to know about cell bio

RememberTwce likes this.
Old 06-10-2011 at 12:26 AM   #114
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbconsumer View Post
probably a first year econ and a second year psych...still working out the specifics...how about you?
No idea..
Old 06-10-2011 at 09:02 AM   #115
allstarme

Liked: 17 Times

No 8:30 classes??? /cue celebration
Old 06-13-2011 at 06:00 PM   #116
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

if we're sticking with the general stream (i never heard back about the biomedical science specialization for whatever reason -_-), then we have 9 units as electives, plus a transfer inquiry, so when it's all said and done, we only get 2 electives right?

i'm thinking 1st year econ + maybe math 1lt3, or maybe a biochem course (2ee3 maybe). don't know how the latter would play out in terms of workload though...ok never mind, i'm definitely taking origins 2b03, don't know what else (if there's only one more elective)

Last edited by waldo92 : 06-13-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-13-2011 at 06:04 PM   #117
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo92 View Post
if we're sticking with the general stream (i never heard back about the biomedical science specialization for whatever reason -_-), then we have 9 units as electives, plus a transfer inquiry, so when it's all said and done, we only get 2 electives right?

i'm thinking 1st year econ + maybe math 1lt3, or maybe a biochem course (2ee3 maybe). don't know how the latter would play out in terms of workload though...
You didn't hear back :O

I emailed Michelle MacDonald and got approved for the Biomed spec but I decided against it because it took away a lot of the elective room, and I wanted to take .

I already took first year econ >_>...wish I hadn't at this point because I'm having a hard time picking electives.

And yes, we get 6 units of electives..

ORIGINS 2B03 is called ASTRON 2B03 for non-origins students. I was considering that as well.

Last edited by UlteriorMtve : 06-13-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2011 at 06:13 PM   #118
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorMtve View Post
You didn't hear back :O

I emailed Michelle MacDonald and got approved for the Biomed spec but I decided against it.

I already took first year econ >_>...wish I hadn't at this point because I'm having a hard time picking electives.

And yes, we get 6 units of electives..

ORIGINS 2B03 is called ASTRON 2B03 for non-origins students. I was considering that as well.
wait, how'd you already take 1st year econ? i thought we had to wait until june 15th? and yeah, pretty sure i'll stick with astron 1b03...and for the other one, no idea...thinking of math 1lt3 or some other science course...this is gonna take me a while -_-
Old 06-13-2011 at 06:17 PM   #119
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo92 View Post
wait, how'd you already take 1st year econ? i thought we had to wait until june 15th? and yeah, pretty sure i'll stick with astron 1b03...and for the other one, no idea...thinking of math 1lt3 or some other science course...this is gonna take me a while -_-
People who are transferring into Health Sci pick tonight (12:01 on the 14th) because we are technically still Faculty of Science students.

I took ECON 1B03 and 1BB3 last year, so now I'm having a hard time picking electives.

I just looked at the ASTRON 2B03 times, it gives me a 5 hour break on Wednesdays and ruins my Fridays off. -_- Probably not gonna be taking that.
Old 06-13-2011 at 06:23 PM   #120
dumbconsumer

ASTRON 2B03 has Inquiry based tutorials worth >20%. So being in health sci, i dunno if you want MORE inquiry, personal choice.

UlteriorMtve says thanks to dumbconsumer for this post.