MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Students for Health Innovation Speaker Series: Pediatric Mental Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-21-2011 11:39 AM
Health Innovation Lecture Series: Chronic Conditions & Child Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 10-15-2010 09:33 PM
Admission Questions (Health & Life Sciences) Damian-F First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-15-2010 11:29 PM
Health Sciences Transfer executive_03 Academics 3 12-18-2008 03:37 AM

Questions from a Health Sci transfer

Old 06-13-2011 at 09:00 PM   #136
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Lol can't believe this thread is still alive
What's awesome is that only ~20 people actually post in it and most of them only posted once or twice
Old 06-13-2011 at 09:18 PM   #137
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorMtve View Post
I think we're just picking classes tonight, then sectioning happens, then we can switch around our tutorials/labs/cores.

(I could be wrong about this)
wow, i hope you are. I just spent the last 2 hours rushing to make my schedule while i could've been studying for orgo lol. i have fridays off too btw for 1st term, timetable looks perfect imo, 2nd term's just horrible though, i can't find an elective that i'm interested in + fits with my timetable (looking at relig st 2q03, eng 1aa3, math 1lt3, orig 2lu3 fyi, took econ 1bb3 1st term). btw, what electives are you taking?
Old 06-13-2011 at 09:22 PM   #138
UlteriorMtve

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo92 View Post
wow, i hope you are. I just spent the last 2 hours rushing to make my schedule while i could've been studying for orgo lol. i have fridays off too btw for 1st term, timetable looks perfect imo, 2nd term's just horrible though, i can't find an elective that i'm interested in + fits with my timetable (looking at relig st 2q03, eng 1aa3, math 1lt3, orig 2lu3 fyi, took econ 1bb3 1st term). btw, what electives are you taking?
I can't decide on one for first semester because none of them fit without ruining my schedule. I might take ECON 2H03 in the evening but I've never taken an evening class before, don't really know how I'll perform.

I'm thinking about MATH 1LT3 for second semester but haven't really decided for sure yet.

I already took ECON 1BB3 otherwise I would take it.
Old 06-13-2011 at 09:23 PM   #139
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

how beneficial do you guys think a minor in French would be for a future career as a doctor/surgeon?

I can't decide whether I want to do it or not and there are a whole bunch of electives I need to take to fill my med school requirements
Old 06-13-2011 at 09:27 PM   #140
UlteriorMtve

Quote:
how beneficial do you guys think a minor in French would be for a future career as a doctor/surgeon?

I can't decide whether I want to do it or not and there are a whole bunch of electives I need to take to fill my med school requirements
I'd say it would be beneficial and might open some doors for you post-med school when you are trying to find a place to work but if it messes with your ability to take all the requirements for applying to med school, then it might not be worth it. [woah.. run-on sentence]

Also, what courses do you still need to complete. I would presume you're referring to ORGO 1+2, a full year of english, another calc course and maybe another physics?
Old 06-13-2011 at 09:28 PM   #141
TheCrucible

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:

A second language is ALWAYS an asset, no question about it.

In terms of doctors, if you can speak a second language, you can connect with that many more patients, doctors, etc.
Old 06-13-2011 at 09:33 PM   #142
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorMtve View Post
I'd say it would be beneficial and might open some doors for you post-med school when you are trying to find a place to work but if it messes with your ability to take all the requirements for applying to med school, then it might not be worth it. [woah.. run-on sentence]

Also, what courses do you still need to complete. I would presume you're referring to ORGO 1+2, a full year of english, another calc course and maybe another physics?
I still need both orgos, two english courses, one calc and one biochem

Just realized today that some universities won't accept my english transfer credits -.-"
And no idea if HTH SCI 2A03 counts as a calc course....so better safe than sorry I guess
Old 06-13-2011 at 09:35 PM   #143
UlteriorMtve

Quote:
I still need both orgos, two english courses, one calc and one biochem

Just realized today that some universities won't accept my english transfer credits -.-"
And no idea if HTH SCI 2A03 counts as a calc course....so better safe than sorry I guess
I was actually thinking of taking CHEM 2OA3 (1st semester) and MATH 1LT3 (2nd) because first semester seems pretty light.

Thanks for starting that thread, hopefully people reply soon

MichaelScarn likes this.
Old 06-13-2011 at 09:37 PM   #144
waldo92

Quote:
in terms of admission to med school, i'm not sure tbh. i haven't heard of it being particularly advantageous, but it couldn't hurt to be multilingual. in terms of practice, i don't think it would help unless you were planning to practice in Quebec or something. not a large french-speaking population in ontario.

personally, i kinda regret not continuing french in uni (as a result my french has declined from the relatively shit level it was at in high school). but that's solely because i think it'd be awesome to be fluent in 3 languages.

Quote:
calc, physics, english?
Old 06-13-2011 at 09:40 PM   #145
TheCrucible

Liked: 51 Times

HTH SCI 2A03 probably won't count as a Calc course. Some med schools (US mostly) require a half-year of stats, so HTH SCI 2A03 would cover the stats requirement, but not the Calc.
Old 06-13-2011 at 09:41 PM   #146
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo92 View Post
in terms of admission to med school, i'm not sure tbh. i haven't heard of it being particularly advantageous, but it couldn't hurt to be multilingual. in terms of practice, i don't think it would help unless you were planning to practice in Quebec or something. not a large french-speaking population in ontario.

personally, i kinda regret not continuing french in uni (as a result my french has declined from the relatively shit level it was at in high school). but that's solely because i think it'd be awesome to be fluent in 3 languages.

calc, physics, english?
got physics covered, need calc english biochem
Old 06-13-2011 at 09:50 PM   #147
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

so my friend's telling me we can't accept health science until tomorrow...
Old 06-13-2011 at 09:53 PM   #148
dumbconsumer

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
so my friend's telling me we can't accept health science until tomorrow...
seriously?!
NEED SOURCES.
Old 06-13-2011 at 09:55 PM   #149
ellerytc

Liked: 25 Times

yeah try accepting it tonight but I'm pretty sure if you're planning on accepting Health Sciences that you're going to have to do your course selection tomorrow.

you know how you have to pick the program you're accepting before you enter SOLAR right?
so yeah, the health science option definitely WON'T be open for you guys tonight (try it in case i'm wrong...

but yeah if they let you do it tonight that kind of gives you an unfair advantage on the first year going second year students
Old 06-13-2011 at 09:56 PM   #150
waldo92

Math 1LS3+1LT3 would count for the calc requirement right?