MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Students for Health Innovation Speaker Series: Pediatric Mental Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-21-2011 11:39 AM
Health Innovation Lecture Series: Chronic Conditions & Child Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 10-15-2010 09:33 PM
Admission Questions (Health & Life Sciences) Damian-F First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-15-2010 11:29 PM
Health Sciences Transfer executive_03 Academics 3 12-18-2008 03:37 AM

Questions from a Health Sci transfer

Old 06-02-2011 at 11:01 PM   #76
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Was that for last year though? Because the percentage fluctuates from year to year
Yes... I personally know someone who got in last year with an average less than 94%. I'm not sure how anybody could possibly know the entrance average of all 160 first years (or why they would even bother).
Old 06-02-2011 at 11:07 PM   #77
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni View Post
Yes... I personally know someone who got in last year with an average less than 94%. I'm not sure how anybody could possibly know the entrance average of all 160 first years (or why they would even bother).
I got the information from a friend who got in to BHSc last year and knew one of the coordinators, but I guess he was wrong. Obviously I didn't go and ask every first year health sci student
Old 06-02-2011 at 11:11 PM   #78
butterscotch

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbconsumer View Post
Also, just in case you guys are curious, outside of the 4 people involved in this thread (I'm assuming Bernard is the Bernard I know IRL, if not, then two kids named bernard transferred lol), I personally know 3 more people that have been given the transfer option, only two of them are confirmed accepting it. Last year's transfer inquiry class had 17 kids, so even if 20 offers are given, not all are accepted.
At the moment, of the 7 I know (including you guys), there are 5 men and 2 women, and I think everyone of the 7 is a faculty of science kid from mcmaster.
/pointless statistics.
One of the two females hails from nursing
Old 06-02-2011 at 11:21 PM   #79
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddastotle View Post
Thats pretty logical lol, Do you know if thats possible for life science students? Cause i am scared of physics 1b03 aswell

Best bet would be to contact the science department. If you insist you can probably get what you want. I wouldn't necessarily explicitly tell them that that's your reason, though. Maybe something like "I want to take a 6 unit language course but then I won't have room for Math X. Please let me take both, I know i can handle it."

But I think the most important thing here is that physics is definitely doable. One of the strategies that PWNS is to look at your notes and iClickers from physics (they usually take the one concept that everybody F***s up with to help you understand your conceptual mistakes) and think up yourself what the nastiest questions they could give you about those topics are. It'll help you understand the topics better, help you remember them better, and when questions like that actually pop up it's . Also, I barely read the textbook/made notes other than the class stuff, but what I did do is read TONS of stuff about individual topics I had problems with on the internet. Hearing different sources explain the same tricky concept or whatever helped me improve my understanding of physics leaps and bounds. And while I didn't make notes on the textbook, whenever I saw anything that I thought was really interesting/a key point/something i could made into a tough test question i put it in my "list of tricky things to remember". That, and do practice tests (from mac and elsewhere) to infinity, make sure you understand them, see what you could change about them and how that would change the answer etc. Anyways, those were some of the strategies I used to help me do well in physics, they may or may not be useful to you, but good luck! I actually really liked Hughes lectures too :O. rheinstadters sound effects were pretty win though.
Old 06-02-2011 at 11:30 PM   #80
dumbconsumer

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
One of the two females hails from nursing
huh? I know the two girls personally lol, both from life science. If you know someone from nursing who's transferring, that's another person.
Old 06-02-2011 at 11:46 PM   #81
dumbconsumer

Also, I've been talking around on facebook, new statistics:
12 are confirmed McMaster Students. Consist of 8 guys and 4 girls.
I guess 8 slots left to go....
I'd also like to note that those 12 were given offers, doesn't mean they are all accepting.

/this doesn't include the nursing female we are discussing above
Old 06-03-2011 at 09:21 AM   #82
allstarme

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Ok I have another question. I understand that one of the second year Health Sci courses is a pass/fail course. So I know someone who transferred into Health Sci last year and he decided to take six courses first semester since one of them was just pass/fail. Would anyone recommend this?
I would also like to know. How did this person find the work load?
Old 06-03-2011 at 09:55 AM   #83
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstarme View Post
I would also like to know. How did this person find the work load?
He said he found it manageable and that he would recommend it if you have good study habits.

I have a couple questions about health sci courses
In third year of GH, one of the required courses is HTH SCI 3GG3, but it's pre-requisite, 3G03 is not listed as one of the requirements. Does that mean I have to use one of my electives for 3G03?

Also, for HTH SCI 4X03 "Collaboration and Peer Tutoring", in the description it says, "This course will consist of three units to be taken over four years and will encourage these activities...". What does it mean by "four years"....are we still taking this course even after we graduate?
Old 06-03-2011 at 10:31 AM   #84
dumbconsumer

Quote:
He said he found it manageable and that he would recommend it if you have good study habits.

I have a couple questions about health sci courses
In third year of GH, one of the required courses is HTH SCI 3GG3, but it's pre-requisite, 3G03 is not listed as one of the requirements. Does that mean I have to use one of my electives for 3G03?

Also, for HTH SCI 4X03 "Collaboration and Peer Tutoring", in the description it says, "This course will consist of three units to be taken over four years and will encourage these activities...". What does it mean by "four years"....are we still taking this course even after we graduate?
"While registration in HTH SCI 4X03 will occur in Level IV, students will begin studies in Level I."
That's what it means by 4 years. How it works exactly, dunno, but doesn't extend past level IV.

for your first question:
"HTH SCI 3GG3 HEALTH SYSTEMS AND HEALTH POLICY
This course reviews how health care is different from other goods and services, how governments have responded to these differences, and how governments make decisions about health care.

Two lectures, one tutorial; one term
Prerequisite(s):
HTH SCI 3G03 OR registration in Level III of the B.H.Sc. (Honours) Specializations "
So you can skip 3G03 in a specialization.

MichaelScarn says thanks to dumbconsumer for this post.
Old 06-05-2011 at 01:37 PM   #85
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

So did anyone else get an e-mail or any information besides the small bit of text on Grade Reports?

Also, did anyone hear anything about the Biomed specialization?

Old 06-05-2011 at 03:47 PM   #86
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
So did anyone else get an e-mail or any information besides the small bit of text on Grade Reports?

No email or anything, I guess it's just the message on the Grade Report.
As for Biomed, ask some of the upper years if you're interested or call the health sci office and book an appointment to go talk to them

I think I'm going to go into the core program rather than GH. I really want to take anatomy and I don't see how I can take both in third year if one semester is abroad. I just hope anatomy + orgo won't be a killer to study for. And plus I can get the international experience from reading week trips with VIDA.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice!
Old 06-05-2011 at 05:23 PM   #87
dumbconsumer

Quote:

nope and nope.
Also going with the core program.
Old 06-05-2011 at 05:26 PM   #88
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbconsumer View Post
nope and nope.
Also going with the core program.
I think I might be going with the core as well.

Anatomy just seems too cool to pass up.
Old 06-06-2011 at 10:41 PM   #89
Buddastotle

Liked: 5 Times

You Health Science Transfers are soo lucky man! Congrats on the achievement

RememberTwce says thanks to Buddastotle for this post.
Old 06-06-2011 at 10:53 PM   #90
TheCrucible

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
I think I might be going with the core as well.

Anatomy just seems too cool to pass up.
You know that Anatomy isn't restricted to the general stream, right? Biomed specialization gives 6 units of electives that can be used for Anatomy (or in my case, since I'm taking Orgo now in the summer, I get 9 elective units).

Of course if you're not interested in the specializations, then don't bother with them - the general stream is great. It just seems as if you're making your decision based on Anatomy alone when in fact all three streams can take it.

EDIT: Crap, forgot that transfers have to take a 6 unit Inquiry. Not sure how that would work with taking Anatomy in a specialization...(or maybe it does work?)

Last edited by TheCrucible : 06-06-2011 at 10:56 PM.

RememberTwce says thanks to TheCrucible for this post.