MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick Question gunsnroses Academics 2 06-05-2013 08:22 PM
quick question?? raveenaj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-03-2011 10:19 PM
quick question jamiebenyovi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-12-2010 09:51 PM
Quick Question ThatGuy Academics 8 07-13-2009 02:02 PM
Quick question LBJ.MVP Academics 8 06-28-2009 09:19 PM

Quick question for anyone who's convocated

Old 04-25-2014 at 11:21 AM   #1
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Quick question for anyone who's convocated
Hey all, I have kind of a dumb question but I can't actually find the answer anywhere.

My best friend didn't complete a class that is necessary for her minor and therefore won't be getting it. She's wondering if minors are declared at convocation. If they are, she's going to have to level with her mom, lol. No matter how many times I tell her that minors are pretty useless, she thinks her mom will be pissed. If they don't announce minors at grad, then she won't have to bring it up.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2014 at 11:24 AM   #2
JayJackson69
Account Locked

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
Hey all, I have kind of a dumb question but I can't actually find the answer anywhere.

My best friend didn't complete a class that is necessary for her minor and therefore won't be getting it. She's wondering if minors are declared at convocation. If they are, she's going to have to level with her mom, lol. No matter how many times I tell her that minors are pretty useless, she thinks her mom will be pissed. If they don't announce minors at grad, then she won't have to bring it up.

Thanks!
Tell your friend she should grow a set. Lying about something as big as that really says something about a person. Own up to your mistakes and accept the repercussions.
Old 04-25-2014 at 11:35 AM   #3
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Yeah, not helpful. People have circumstances and unreasonable parents and nobody asked for your judgement. Her parents didn't pay for her education so it isn't their business.
Old 04-25-2014 at 11:55 AM   #4
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

they hand out a booklet with everyone's name / specific degree. there are some other things included, you'll have an asterisk next to you if you had a 9.5 or higher CA ("with distinction") and your degree itself will say "summa cum laude"... however minors are not listed on the degree paper anywhere, although they will appear underneath the persons name like "minor in psychology" or whatever the subject was in the convocation booklet. so her mom will probably see other people with minors under their names but not her daughter. by the way the ceremony is extremely long and boring, bring something to do haha

Kudos says thanks to yoni for this post.
Old 04-25-2014 at 01:24 PM   #5
JayJackson69
Account Locked

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
Yeah, not helpful. People have circumstances and unreasonable parents and nobody asked for your judgement. Her parents didn't pay for her education so it isn't their business.
If her parents didnt pay for her education, then why should she care if they are upset or not? Is she always going to base her success off of the approval of her parents?
You said it yourself, it isnt their business. So why the hell should she care what their opinion of the outcome is. Regardless of whether or not they will be upset, it is your friend's life and she should be able to muster the confidence in herself to accept that her parents may be disappointed, but it doesnt change the accomplishment she has achieved of finishing her undergrad. If her parents truly are unreasonable, then she should know to take their opinions with a grain of salt.

It just seems like a bad idea to start your post-educational life by lying about something like this

Phoneup likes this.