MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Culture as an excuse for racism Rossclot General Discussion 14 03-06-2010 01:13 PM
Racism at MAC Energy44 General Discussion 25 12-06-2009 03:24 PM

Racism at Mac

Old 11-04-2009 at 10:57 PM   #196
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
To a very slight degree, perhaps (occaisonally). Unlike a term like 'Asian', which is arbitrary more often than it isn't (in Canada, that is). I think we're talking about two different things here. You seem to be on the concept of a social perception of a term rather than the term itself.
I think Russell Peters made a point about people forgetting Indians are Asians too...
Old 11-04-2009 at 11:03 PM   #197
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
I think Russell Peters made a point about people forgetting Indians are Asians too...
Israelis are asians too!
Old 11-04-2009 at 11:05 PM   #198
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
To a very slight degree, perhaps (occaisonally). Unlike a term like 'Asian', which is arbitrary more often than it isn't (in Canada, that is). I think we're talking about two different things here. You seem to be on the concept of a social perception of a term rather than the term itself.
It doesn't matter if a label is arbitrary or not. Just because it's arbitrary it doesn't necessarily mean that it is racist, or discriminatory.

When applying the Yellow/"Asian" label, you would think to yourself: Does the person look Chinese/Korean/Japanese/Vietnamese/Cambodian/Thai/etc? That is the only judgment that you're really applying. Applying a label makes it easier to communicate a concept to others, it's not racist or discriminatory.

By your logic calling someone "Chinese" because you thought they were Chinese would be racism because "Chinese" in this instance is not an arbitrary term.
Old 11-04-2009 at 11:33 PM   #199
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
It doesn't matter if a label is arbitrary or not. Just because it's arbitrary it doesn't necessarily mean that it is racist, or discriminatory.
Right. My point had nothing to do with racism or discrimination (although the original topic did). So, there was probably a misunderstanding somewhere.

Quote:
By your logic calling someone "Chinese" because you thought they were Chinese would be racism because "Chinese" in this instance is not an arbitrary term.
First, 'Chinese' is an arbitrary term. That's not really the point, so: arbitrary does not imply racist. Perhaps you got that out of my posts, but its certainly not what I was inferring (or attempting to).

As I said, (no relation to racism), my problem with race-based labels lies in their arbitrariness.
Old 11-04-2009 at 11:35 PM   #200
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Right. My point had nothing to do with racism or discrimination (although the original topic did). So, there was probably a misunderstanding somewhere.
I tried steering on topic. Yeah, that was definitely a misunderstanding.=p
Old 11-05-2009 at 07:47 AM   #201
Rcole23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Sorry but, your last sentence killed your post. I can no longer take it seriously.
Fully agree
Old 11-05-2009 at 11:48 AM   #202
cowpuppy

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post

It doesn't seem at all oppressive and unfair that others are allowed to group together and celebrate in their ethnic similarity in an inherently exclusive way but white people cannot or it would be deemed racist?
"White" is not an ethnicity. That's why it would be considered racist.

I don't think there would be anything wrong with a Canadian Club, for example. But seeing as how we all live in Canada anyway, it would be kind of pointless...
Old 11-05-2009 at 01:16 PM   #203
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpuppy View Post
"White" is not an ethnicity. That's why it would be considered racist.

I don't think there would be anything wrong with a Canadian Club, for example. But seeing as how we all live in Canada anyway, it would be kind of pointless...
Caucasian is considered a race therefore to discriminate against Caucasians would be racist.
Old 11-05-2009 at 02:06 PM   #204
cowpuppy

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Caucasian is considered a race therefore to discriminate against Caucasians would be racist.
Sure, it's a "race", but you don't see any "race" clubs at McMaster do you? They are all culture/ethnicity clubs.

A Caucasian club would be as racist as a "brown" club for example.
Old 11-05-2009 at 02:09 PM   #205
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

^ Heh, but 'brown' people can be considered 'Caucasian', so...

Quote:
It's a flawed term (goes back to the arbitrariness I was talking about earlier). 'Caucasian' technically could encompass anything from (native) Europeans, Iranians, Indians, Pakistanis, Arabs, to just strictly the people of the Caucasus.

Is it considered a race? Again, that really isn't absolute at all, since you could be talking about a social, anthropological, or genetic definition...

Last edited by Mahratta : 11-05-2009 at 02:12 PM.