MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
a few random questions for help Bodun First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-23-2010 11:22 PM
Random question ... kirsten..! Residence & Housing 11 07-04-2010 02:08 PM
Random Scholarships Later in Year? Tleilaxu Academics 4 08-25-2008 05:06 PM

Random laptop internet issue

Old 09-10-2009 at 04:00 PM   #1
Omega_X13

Liked: 9 Times

Random laptop internet issue
Hey all, I'm having issues with my laptop, and I figured someone here must be computer-savvy enough to point me in the right direction.

So, my laptop today decided to stop detecting any and all wireless signals, which means no internet. I was on it last night, and it was working fine, but when I turned it on this morning, no more wireless signals. When I clicked the "diagnose problem" option, it said that Windows Wireless Service wasn't running, but then it couldn't fix it for me...I didn't change a single setting before I turned the laptop off, so it's really bothering me that it just randomly stopped working like that.

Oh, it's also definitely the laptop that's the issue, because I brought it to the library today, and it wouldn't pick up the signal there either.

If it makes any difference, it's a Toshiba Satellite, Windows XP...

Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 09-10-2009 at 04:13 PM   #2
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_X13 View Post
Hey all, I'm having issues with my laptop, and I figured someone here must be computer-savvy enough to point me in the right direction.

So, my laptop today decided to stop detecting any and all wireless signals, which means no internet. I was on it last night, and it was working fine, but when I turned it on this morning, no more wireless signals. When I clicked the "diagnose problem" option, it said that Windows Wireless Service wasn't running, but then it couldn't fix it for me...I didn't change a single setting before I turned the laptop off, so it's really bothering me that it just randomly stopped working like that.

Oh, it's also definitely the laptop that's the issue, because I brought it to the library today, and it wouldn't pick up the signal there either.

If it makes any difference, it's a Toshiba Satellite, Windows XP...

Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
I had that same problem using a wireless adapter on my desktop, and I had to reinstall the drivers. have you tried reinstalling yours?

Omega_X13 says thanks to reeves for this post.
Old 09-11-2009 at 06:19 AM   #3
Omega_X13

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I had that same problem using a wireless adapter on my desktop, and I had to reinstall the drivers. have you tried reinstalling yours?
How do I go about doing that properly? I don't want to do something wrong and make it worse, which has happened before..lol
Old 09-11-2009 at 06:58 AM   #4
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_X13 View Post
How do I go about doing that properly? I don't want to do something wrong and make it worse, which has happened before..lol
Either run the install disk that came with your computer (not the OS install, just the driver installer), or look up the motherboard drivers for your model computer online. The disk is a lot easier if you have it.
Old 09-11-2009 at 07:35 AM   #5
MDCL

Liked: 29 Times

I had a wireless problem a couple of years ago. I brought my laptop into the people in T13 (don't know the exact name of the office; take the north entrance and turn right and the door will be down the hall).
Old 09-11-2009
daiven2009
This message has been removed by a moderator. .