MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Talking to the Dean of a Department? crazybobman Academics 1 08-14-2011 07:14 PM
talking in lecture - what do you say? jackiemac Academics 30 09-21-2010 06:46 PM
rant but not really manap3000 Volunteering Opportunities 33 08-24-2010 07:44 PM
Library Etiquette: Rant creen General Discussion 53 12-12-2009 11:27 AM
Rant. lawleypop General Discussion 28 10-20-2009 05:45 PM

Rant about students talking

Old 10-22-2011 at 09:49 AM   #1
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

Rant about students talking
So, I am pretty sure you have encountered this before, but too many people talk during class.
This occurs in large or small classrooms. I get so annoyed because it's so disrespectful to others listening. And if you want to talk, go to a cafe or something. I heard these two girls talking about their hair and what not for the longest time. It's very annoying when people talk because it's very distracting. Imagine trying to write a test while your TAs talked about all the fun they had the night before at a party. Obviously, it's okay to talk about lecutre materials, but not about your personal life.

It pisses the hell out of me. I was unlucky a few times to be surrounded by stupid ppl who give no shit about their education. Honestly, if you don't care about your education, then don't come to class.

While I'm on the topic of ppl not caring, I hate ppl who text on their black berries. It is annoying because I can hear ppl typing on the keyboard on the phone. If you are gonna text the whole time, you're better off not going to class and wasting your damn time. Honestly. It's amazing what technology does to us esp. when you see ppl playing games on their laptops while the lecture is going on.

I hope those who distracted others in class by talking throughout the lectures fail in life and in the course beacuse what goes around comes around.
Old 10-22-2011 at 10:00 AM   #2
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

ever heard of sitting up front?

Old 10-22-2011 at 10:10 AM   #3
Allana:)

Liked: 46 Times

I feel your pain. I've been distracted by games, texting, newspaper reading, talking, leg bouncing... you name it! I've even seen one guy watch **** on an iPad.

I find that people generally tend to sit in approximately the same spots. Therefore, try out a couple of new places. You may find some quieter areas. It's not by any means foolproof, but it works fairly well for me in my classes.

Good luck!

dmzz likes this.
Old 10-22-2011 at 10:11 AM   #4
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Lol for us some one in chemistry was fully watching a movie during the lecture

things i would never see in high school lol
Old 10-22-2011 at 10:12 AM   #5
Allana:)

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
Lol for us some one in chemistry was fully watching a movie during the lecture

things i would never see in high school lol
Yeah. What's the world coming to?

martined says thanks to Allana:) for this post.
Old 10-22-2011 at 10:21 AM   #6
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allana:) View Post
Yeah. What's the world coming to?
sucks that blackberries will make the clicky sound wen you text but touchscreen phones don't haha. but i totally get what you mean. I'm sitting in my econ class and a few rows below i see someone watching azn drama. LIKE WTF?

And in the library too holy crap some ppl are soooo loud. they have a huge group of ppl just yelling and talking and even with my headphones i can hear em. its crazy! i was soo close to flipping out on them but then i heard library was closing soon so meh. it wud have been funny if i did haha
Old 10-22-2011 at 12:53 PM   #7
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

It doesn't matter if you sit up front or not. OH MY GOSH. These girls in my 8.30 Maths 1B03 lecture! They sit like...the fourth row from the front, and they are LOUD. They drive me insane. I don't care if you're talking about the lecture or your life, DO IT QUIETLY.
Old 10-22-2011 at 01:11 PM  
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 10-22-2011 at 01:25 PM   #8
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Last week,my prof stopped lecture because there was noise going on in the back of the room. She asked them what was the matter, and one girl said she couldn't hear what the prof was saying because someone had music on. A few minutes later, the prof asked if it was better, and the girls said, no, it's just a different song now. NOT HELPFUL.

Also, last year, there were these really disruptive kids in class and the prof asked us all to vote as to whether to let them stay in class or not. Almost everyone voted for them to leave. The prof not only kicked hem out of lecture that day, but removed them from the course. p.s. This was after several lectures of them being disruptive.

eccentrikkk, Faer, gmoney, Snowman like this.
Old 10-22-2011 at 01:46 PM   #9
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
Also, last year, there were these really disruptive kids in class and the prof asked us all to vote as to whether to let them stay in class or not. Almost everyone voted for them to leave. The prof not only kicked hem out of lecture that day, but removed them from the course. p.s. This was after several lectures of them being disruptive.

Awesome! What class was this?
Old 10-22-2011 at 03:26 PM   #10
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

Once I had a friend visit from Queens and we sat behind these 2 girls who did not stop talking ONCE throughout the lecture. I was soooooooooo annoyed but at the same time amazed by their lung capacity.

Being dead silent also sucks too. In my classes it's sooooooooooooooo dead quiet. When I was at Mac I never understood how people could fall asleep in class but now I'm amazed that people can stay awake.
Old 10-22-2011 at 04:01 PM   #11
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

I completely agree with everyone here. People in my lectures speak, listen to i-Pods, go on Facebook, text, make phone calls...it's so annoying - and distracting! Not to mention rude! I find myself going to areas where no one else is sitting just so I can focus on the lecture.
Actually, I find that people don't like to sit towards the end of the lecture halls, by the wall - especially the right hand side facing the prof. You can usually get two or three seats' space to yourself.
Old 10-22-2011 at 04:17 PM   #12
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyshi View Post
Once I had a friend visit from Queens and we sat behind these 2 girls who did not stop talking ONCE throughout the lecture. I was soooooooooo annoyed but at the same time amazed by their lung capacity.

Being dead silent also sucks too. In my classes it's sooooooooooooooo dead quiet. When I was at Mac I never understood how people could fall asleep in class but now I'm amazed that people can stay awake.
Lesser of two evils?
Old 10-22-2011 at 04:28 PM   #13
gmoney

Liked: 21 Times

One time a girl in my Biochem 2B03 lecture came in late, sat down a few rows ahead of me and started playing HALO....

She literally pulled out a USB controller and played during class. Why she even bothered to come to class is beyond me, but it was annoying because I could hear EVERYONE behind her going , "WTF??".

AnimeGamer31 likes this.
Old 10-22-2011 at 04:39 PM   #14
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
ever heard of sitting up front?
The back of the class isn't reserved for people to talk...