MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Talking to the Dean of a Department? crazybobman Academics 1 08-14-2011 07:14 PM
talking in lecture - what do you say? jackiemac Academics 30 09-21-2010 06:46 PM
rant but not really manap3000 Volunteering Opportunities 33 08-24-2010 07:44 PM
Library Etiquette: Rant creen General Discussion 53 12-12-2009 11:27 AM
Rant. lawleypop General Discussion 28 10-20-2009 05:45 PM

Rant about students talking

Old 10-22-2011 at 04:53 PM   #16
lux

Liked: 318 Times

E-mail the prof to remind people about lecture ettiquete.
Old 10-22-2011 at 05:15 PM   #17
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

I once had this same experience and got so pissed off because I couldn't hear the prof that I yelled out "Shut up" and everyone turned to look at me (even the loud people). It got them quiet and I didn't mind so much but my boyfriend was too embarrassed and wouldn't let me do it again in any of our classes.

If people ever talk around me again I have no qualms in telling them to shut up.

anon491, Faer, julianface, oranges like this.
Old 10-22-2011 at 05:33 PM   #18
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnersdrown View Post
I once had this same experience and got so pissed off because I couldn't hear the prof that I yelled out "Shut up" and everyone turned to look at me (even the loud people). It got them quiet and I didn't mind so much but my boyfriend was too embarrassed and wouldn't let me do it again in any of our classes.

If people ever talk around me again I have no qualms in telling them to shut up.
I've been tempted to do that, but I sit in the front, and the professor would probably look at me strange for the remainer of the course. xD
Old 10-22-2011 at 05:35 PM   #19
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
I've been tempted to do that, but I sit in the front, and the professor would probably look at me strange for the remainer of the course. xD
Well see the prof already knew me pretty well and saw that coming from me. I was close to the front too and he didn't mind at all.

Faer likes this.
Old 10-22-2011 at 08:28 PM   #20
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
ever heard of sitting up front?
Yeah..there's competition for seats and ppl never move to the centre so i have to struggle thru bags. Ever heard of large chem lecture halls?

And ppl talk in the front too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnersdrown View Post

I did that. Didn't work. I said it twice to the ppl talking in fact. They kept talking throughout the lecture. Not saying your method is not effective, just that I was unlucky with stupid ppl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
Last week,my prof stopped lecture because there was noise going on in the back of the room. She asked them what was the matter, and one girl said she couldn't hear what the prof was saying because someone had music on. A few minutes later, the prof asked if it was better, and the girls said, no, it's just a different song now. NOT HELPFUL.

Also, last year, there were these really disruptive kids in class and the prof asked us all to vote as to whether to let them stay in class or not. Almost everyone voted for them to leave. The prof not only kicked hem out of lecture that day, but removed them from the course. p.s. This was after several lectures of them being disruptive.
Holy snaps. Was this in a large lecutre hall? Man, if my prof could see my struggle to listen to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
E-mail the prof to remind people about lecture ettiquete.
Aw thanks, that's a good idea. I'll try that.

Last edited by jhan523 : 10-22-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Use Multi to Multi Quote
Old 10-22-2011 at 10:14 PM   #21
Salik

Liked: 32 Times

Everyone can bash me on this but i love talking in lectures. I dont yell on top of my lungs but make no effort to shut up either :p. I also laugh uncontrollably or giggle during class and im a texting maniac (That too on a BLACKBERRY).

anywaysssss...

To add a twist to this rant, i hate how people use pencils or laptops to take notes. Thats right, the "scratch scratch" of the pencils on paper and the constant stupid buzz of 100 people typing out their lecture notes makes me want to pull my hair out. Everyone just use a frikkin pen please.

Anyway to end it, i do get amazing marks and do come to class to learn and to take notes, but i talk to zone out the noises that bother me
Old 10-22-2011 at 11:00 PM   #22
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Sohaib Alli,

1st year commerce is so easy that I don't think one talking egocentric **** like yourself matters, I think the other posters in this thread are referring to difficult classes in which lectures are key.
Old 10-23-2011 at 12:19 AM   #23
enarab

Liked: 22 Times

Yeah I always end up sitting close to the people who have the most awkward discussions and then I can't concentrate anymore :(
Old 10-23-2011 at 12:40 AM   #24
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salik View Post
Everyone can bash me on this but i love talking in lectures. I dont yell on top of my lungs but make no effort to shut up either :p. I also laugh uncontrollably or giggle during class and im a texting maniac (That too on a BLACKBERRY).

anywaysssss...

To add a twist to this rant, i hate how people use pencils or laptops to take notes. Thats right, the "scratch scratch" of the pencils on paper and the constant stupid buzz of 100 people typing out their lecture notes makes me want to pull my hair out. Everyone just use a frikkin pen please.

Anyway to end it, i do get amazing marks and do come to class to learn and to take notes, but i talk to zone out the noises that bother me
So was this supposed to some type of satire or are you really as pretentious as you sound?

Old 10-23-2011 at 02:22 AM   #25
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

Oh man, some of you need to stop being such little bitches. I agree with the fact that it's disrespectful and annoying when people talk during class. More so when they don't even try to be quiet/whisper.

But if you're getting distracted by phones, other people on their computers, the sound of people taking notes, suck it up. No one is forcing you to watch other people's screens. The sounds of phones and note taking are pretty much standard in a university class. Get used to it.

If you can't zone out the background stuff....well too bad.

eccentrikkk, J. Dorey, julianface all say thanks to Buszaj for this post.

Old 10-23-2011 at 04:27 AM   #26
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Don't talk in a class with Dr. McLean, the Classics prof.

He (or one of his TAs) will tell you to shut the **** up.

J. Dorey, sinnersdrown like this.
Old 10-23-2011 at 08:06 AM   #27
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I think they're still selling silly string at titles.... take your revenge young first years.

As a note of hope, it gets better as you get to upper years..

Old 10-23-2011 at 02:47 PM   #28
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:

anywaysssss...

Yea...if you need to talk to zone out, I think that's not the best method because it distracts others. How would you like it if I was a TA and was chatting with antoher TA in front of you during your test? I don't think you would like that.
Old 10-23-2011 at 03:17 PM   #29
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeGamer31 View Post
How would you like it if I was a TA and was chatting with antoher TA in front of you during your test? I don't think you would like that.
It's not at all pleasant. During my Animal Behaviour midterm, my prof was whispering something loudly to the TA and it was...very distracting. D:
Old 10-23-2011 at 03:47 PM   #30
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:

anywaysssss...

i will be a TA for a few Second year Commerce courses next year. If you pull shit like that I will boot you out so fast.

Amaryll, Lauren.xo like this.