MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Talking to the Dean of a Department? crazybobman Academics 1 08-14-2011 07:14 PM
talking in lecture - what do you say? jackiemac Academics 30 09-21-2010 06:46 PM
rant but not really manap3000 Volunteering Opportunities 33 08-24-2010 07:44 PM
Library Etiquette: Rant creen General Discussion 53 12-12-2009 11:27 AM
Rant. lawleypop General Discussion 28 10-20-2009 05:45 PM

Rant about students talking

Old 10-23-2011 at 05:01 PM   #31
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeGamer31 View Post
Yea...if you need to talk to zone out, I think that's not the best method because it distracts others. How would you like it if I was a TA and was chatting with antoher TA in front of you during your test? I don't think you would like that.
As much as I agree that this is annoying ^ , you can't really compare writing a midterm or exam to listening to a regular lecture ...

everyone has to put up with people talking or being annoying sometimes, all you can do is politely tell them to stop talking or learn to deal with it- because honestly no matter where you go you will always find people who are going to be inconsiderate of others

...and in regards to the BB thing.... it annoys us blackberry owners too lol- but when you have to send a text message you kinda have to bear the 30 seconds of awkwardly making ticking noises...
Old 10-24-2011 at 12:26 AM   #32
eccentrikkk

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldBeStudying View Post
The back of the class isn't reserved for people to talk...
Yeah, the back of the class is reserved for those who show up late! JEEZ people, com'on we're all in university you should be smart enough to know this by now...

On a side note, if you're paying close enough attention to what other people are doing in lecture, you must be somewhat bored yourself with what's being said... If it bugs you that much you may have some sort of OCD because I personally think everyone is entitled to do whatever they wish in lecture to some extent. Texting, or playing a game which listening to a lecture does not necessarily mean someone isn't paying attention. I personally only attend lectures because I am more so an auditory learner, then when I come home I reread the text to reinforce what I've just heard and then come exam time I rewrite out my notes (which I usually read out loud to myself while writing).

I mean com'on now, if you're really THAT concerned about what you're learning in class how many times do students actually ask questions when the prof asks for clarification? If its something that other students find significantly distracting you could always complain to the prof and see if something can be done about it. University involves thorough studying to succeed, don't expect to ace an exam just because you sat in a lecture - and if you do then congrats you're a friggen genius!

J. Dorey says thanks to eccentrikkk for this post.

jaimelove13, L'Étoile like this.
Old 10-24-2011 at 01:21 AM   #33
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salik View Post
Everyone can bash me on this but i love talking in lectures. I dont yell on top of my lungs but make no effort to shut up either :p. I also laugh uncontrollably or giggle during class and im a texting maniac (That too on a BLACKBERRY).

anywaysssss...

To add a twist to this rant, i hate how people use pencils or laptops to take notes. Thats right, the "scratch scratch" of the pencils on paper and the constant stupid buzz of 100 people typing out their lecture notes makes me want to pull my hair out. Everyone just use a frikkin pen please.

Anyway to end it, i do get amazing marks and do come to class to learn and to take notes, but i talk to zone out the noises that bother me
Do you ever think that you should STFU?
Because one day, someone will make it very, very clear to you.

Amaryll, L'Étoile, macbaby07 like this.
Old 10-24-2011 at 01:54 AM   #34
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeGamer31 View Post
So, I am pretty sure you have encountered this before, but too many people talk during class.
This occurs in large or small classrooms. I get so annoyed because it's so disrespectful to others listening. And if you want to talk, go to a cafe or something. I heard these two girls talking about their hair and what not for the longest time. It's very annoying when people talk because it's very distracting. Imagine trying to write a test while your TAs talked about all the fun they had the night before at a party. Obviously, it's okay to talk about lecutre materials, but not about your personal life.

It pisses the hell out of me. I was unlucky a few times to be surrounded by stupid ppl who give no shit about their education. Honestly, if you don't care about your education, then don't come to class.

While I'm on the topic of ppl not caring, I hate ppl who text on their black berries. It is annoying because I can hear ppl typing on the keyboard on the phone. If you are gonna text the whole time, you're better off not going to class and wasting your damn time. Honestly. It's amazing what technology does to us esp. when you see ppl playing games on their laptops while the lecture is going on.

I hope those who distracted others in class by talking throughout the lectures fail in life and in the course beacuse what goes around comes around.
I agree , the rant is too damn high

RememberTwce likes this.
Old 10-24-2011 at 02:46 AM   #35
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reda View Post
I agree , the rant is too damn high
*sigh* I feel that this was implied but I'm obliged to throw it in here anyways:

adaptation likes this.
Old 10-25-2011 at 05:08 PM   #36
Moosh

Liked: 0 Times

I completely agree with you.
Old 10-25-2011 at 05:16 PM   #37
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentrikkk View Post

On a side note, if you're paying close enough attention to what other people are doing in lecture, you must be somewhat bored yourself with what's being said... If it bugs you that much you may have some sort of OCD because I personally think everyone is entitled to do whatever they wish in lecture to some extent. Texting, or playing a game which listening to a lecture does not necessarily mean someone isn't paying attention. I personally only attend lectures because I am more so an auditory learner, then when I come home I reread the text to reinforce what I've just heard and then come exam time I rewrite out my notes (which I usually read out loud to myself while writing).
Not necessarily. I don't care if people text on their phones or go on Facebook on their laptops, but talking can be incredibly disruptive. Especially in bigger lecture halls, when the people talking behind you are louder in your ear than the professor is at the front of the room. Yes, university is about overcoming struggles and putting up with crummy people, but people don't need to be dicks. It's only common courtesy to not talk in lecture, just like it is to not talk during a movie or at a play.
Old 10-25-2011 at 05:41 PM   #38
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Not necessarily. I don't care if people text on their phones or go on Facebook on their laptops, but talking can be incredibly disruptive. Especially in bigger lecture halls, when the people talking behind you are louder in your ear than the professor is at the front of the room. Yes, university is about overcoming struggles and putting up with crummy people, but people don't need to be dicks. It's only common courtesy to not talk in lecture, just like it is to not talk during a movie or at a play.
This exactly! If they're talking about the course material or something, not a problem. But if it's about something stupid like what they did on the weekend, then the lecture probably isn't a place for that. As for games, facebook, texting, etc. I have no problem at all with that. I don't find it distracting.
Old 10-25-2011 at 06:53 PM   #39
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentrikkk View Post
Yeah, the back of the class is reserved for those who show up late! JEEZ people, com'on we're all in university you should be smart enough to know this by now...

I mean com'on now, if you're really THAT concerned about what you're learning in class how many times do students actually ask questions when the prof asks for clarification? If its something that other students find significantly distracting you could always complain to the prof and see if something can be done about it. University involves thorough studying to succeed, don't expect to ace an exam just because you sat in a lecture - and if you do then congrats you're a friggen genius!
People with OCD have a right to a good learning environment too. I don't disagree with everything you said, but a student in the room who has OCD (or ADHD, or anything related) is MORE of a reason to not be disruptive in lectures, not less.

waldo92 likes this.
Old 10-25-2011 at 09:27 PM   #40
mk90

Liked: 42 Times

i dont give a shit about people who mess around in the lectures. disruptive, but you should develop your own method to concentrate, or you won't survive in this university.

what i'm concerned about is the freaking morons in libraries that come to socialize in the quiet study area. there are other areas of the library if you wanna giggle at some random shit on youtube or chat with your buddy.

Old 10-25-2011 at 10:01 PM   #41
luna

Liked: 10 Times

I know what you mean. I'm in second year and this problem is still going on you'd think people would've matured by now. I don't think you'll be able to find a quite place in classes because you're in "first year of life sciences". your classes are probably 300 or more. but maybe you can try the very front (meanig first row) or the sides ailes of the class or the back of the side ailes. people sitting in these places tend be quiter even if they're sitting with their friends.

AnimeGamer31 says thanks to luna for this post.
Old 10-26-2011 at 12:49 AM   #42
Lauren.xo

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk90 View Post
i dont give a shit about people who mess around in the lectures. disruptive, but you should develop your own method to concentrate, or you won't survive in this university.

what i'm concerned about is the freaking morons in libraries that come to socialize in the quiet study area. there are other areas of the library if you wanna giggle at some random shit on youtube or chat with your buddy.
I think your point is sort of moot, and is made so by the fact that your point about the library could easily be applied to the lecture hall situation. If people want to socialize and voice their opinions out of turn then there are FAR more appropriate places around campus to do that than in the middle of a lecture... A lot of profs find it just as distracting as the students, and in our second year PNB courses there is a constant buzz of chatter no matter what the lecture. The fact that a prof had to remind us about professionalism in lectures should have opened peoples' eyes to their inappropriate behavior. And I'm not talking about one or two whispers between slides or a brief conversation before a lecture begins, I'm sure everyone is guilty of speaking during a lecture at one point or another. It's the escalation to constant, louder-than-a-whisper conversations that are really distracting.

TL;DR... Everyone is paying to be here so do what you wish in lectures, but auditory distractions are far more difficult to tune out than visual distractions so be conscious of your actions... Just my opinion/advice

julianface likes this.
Old 10-26-2011 at 03:57 AM   #43
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

I think the best approach is to tell the loud people directly, rather then letting it happening and then complaining about it. As for texters/gamers/facebookers, they paid like 500 dollars to be in that class they can do whatever the want they want as long as they aren't being loud and disturbing those around them. If I want to play a video game but know I should go could class I'll compromise and bring my laptop. I do sit at the back so no one sees me but I at least can follow along with what is being talked about and covered in the lecture. It's not like people that are texting during class gain nothing from the lecture, and even then its not your business to decide that.

tl;dr Students can do whatever they want since they paid for it. What they do isn't your business. (excluding talking. If so tell them directly)
Old 10-26-2011 at 10:06 AM   #44
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I dont mind if people play games or eat in lecture or text, the only thing that bothers me is talking. i was in math and the people behind me talked the entire time what they would do if they won the lottery. i tried to focus many times, but since they were like 1 foot from my ear and the prof was 30 then i could here was them and i have no idea what happened that lecture.

on another note, i found sitting near one of the side walls near the front works well since there is such a small number of people around you so you cant here big group of people talking.
Old 10-26-2011 at 11:20 AM   #45
eccentrikkk

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
People with OCD have a right to a good learning environment too. I don't disagree with everything you said, but a student in the room who has OCD (or ADHD, or anything related) is MORE of a reason to not be disruptive in lectures, not less.
In that case maybe they need stronger meds, there's no way in hell the fact someone may have a disability that interferes with their learning will stop 300+ people from doing what they want in lecture. Everyone pays tuition and whether you take your studies seriously or not is your own perogative! Most of what's said in lecture can be found in the textbook or online for clarification.