MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Am I royally screwed? ReubenG Academics 9 08-25-2011 08:07 PM
I am Screwed Commander First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 09-15-2010 08:32 AM
I screwed myself over. JAYJAY Academics 13 08-09-2010 12:11 PM
Am I screwed? killza General Discussion 8 01-09-2010 01:51 PM
How screwed am I for residence? Ownaginatios First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 07-14-2008 11:36 AM

Really screwed up this year

Old 12-20-2013 at 12:59 AM   #1
bugz

Liked: 0 Times

Really screwed up this year
I'm a first year humanities student. I took a few years off between high school and university because I had no clue what I wanted to go into, finally decided and messed it up.

I ended up pregnant at the end of August. The last week of Sept I found out I was going to have a miscarriage. I took a few days off to deal with that. I didn't know when the miscarriage process would start and didn't want to start (TMI) bleeding out and losing tissue at class so I took time off. Then the actual miscarriage process happened. Of course, it happened right during midterms. I ended up missing the last week of Sept. and all of October. Once I missed my midterms I didn't bother going back because it was done. I didn't realize I could take them later for medical reasons. But even so, I missed way to many classes.

I talked to an advisor but she honestly wasn't much help... She told me I could take classes that aren't available at all next semester. And told me to take classes that won't even get me into the level 2.

Now all the classes I have next semester, I can't do because I didn't do the prerequisites. There are no classes I actually want or even need (that are open), so I'm stuck taking (and paying for) classes that I don't want, need and won't get me where I need to be.

I wanted to get into Cognitive Science of Language, but my only option now is history or english because that's the only classes that are available. I don't think I can afford summer semester, I can't hardly afford this year.

What do I do??
Old 12-20-2013 at 01:24 AM   #2
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

For cognitive Sci, you need the two linguistics courses (1A03 and 1AA3) and Psych 1X03. Since you didn't have a chance taking 1A03 and 1X03 in first term, I would suggest taking them in the spring and 1AA3 in the summer. You can always use the summer addendum form from OSAP if you happen to use OSAP as one of your payment. I don't know your chance of your getting into second year but you can always get advice from the Humanities Academic Advisors. Although, keep the courses that you have or switch some of them to something you would be interested in. They will count as your electives towards Humanities I. Believe me, I couldn't even afford being in university for four years if it wasn't for OSAP...

Last edited by akikokoyoki : 12-20-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-20-2013 at 06:35 AM  
Jesse.C
Account Locked

Liked: 32 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

MrPlinkett likes this.
Old 12-20-2013 at 07:25 AM   #3
jaywa
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 9 Times

If you didn't attend classes and didn't write the exams for the first term, and given your circumstances, you can most likely have your transcript wiped and the failing grades won't show. You need to talk to an academic advisor and get each of your profs to agree to this. Maybe request a different advisor than the one you already talked to.

If there aren't any courses that are going to benefit you next term, maybe consider taking the term off? It sounds like this term was a really stressful one, and if you don't have the money for summer classes and term 2, may as well spend it on summer classes instead when the courses you actually need/want are offered. There is a process for taking a period of time off and then coming back, but I'm not sure who you would talk to to set that up. The academic advisor should in theory be able to tell you.

Also, if it's possible for you to get a doctor's note explaining you were unable to attend for physical/emotional reasons this term that might be a good safeguard for whatever arises in the future.

qwerty91 likes this.
Old 12-20-2013 at 10:35 AM   #4
bugz

Liked: 0 Times

The academic advisor told me to drop the courses I was failing, which was all of them. So all of my courses for first semester were "cancelled".

When do I pick spring/summer courses? How many can I take?

OSAP doesn't even begin cover the cost. I know it's not supposed to cover everything, but living expenses alone are over $13,000 for 12 months. I don't know how I'm going to pay for a semester of courses that I didn't get to take, then have to pay for them again in the summer. Without summer courses my tuition is already $8,000. It's proven very difficult to find a job that gives enough hours, or even any.

Without OSAP I'm screwed. I probably screwed up my OSAP by not being able to take the classes. I can't pay my next months rent without it. After months of trying to find a job, still no luck. Even fast food places.

I attended to try and transfer out of Mac to U of T, even York. (I like Mac and hate (the city of) Toronto, but U of T is closer to my fiancé's hometown which is where we want to be). Obviously that isn't going to happen now. I imagine it's hard to transfer in, so I'm not sure if it'd happen anyway.
Old 12-20-2013 at 10:39 AM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

I wouldn't take courses you're not interested in if you're in the faculty you're currently in... just take the semester off or go part-time. I'm SURE there has to be SOMETHING you like that doesn't have prereqs! C'mon! You can always audit courses so your brain doesn't go to mush in the meantime.

Tuff luck, tuff choices, hope you make the right decision
Old 12-20-2013 at 11:48 AM   #6
jaywa
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 9 Times

OSAP might be a problem since the courses were cancelled, the financial aid office has advisors you can speak to as well. I would recommend talking to one of them. Have you applied for the McMaster bursary? If you qualified for OSAP you should get something from Mac as well, and it doesn't need to be repaid. The application is due January, it's on mugsi under the financial section.

You don't register for spring and summer courses until near the end of next term. Two courses in one term is considered full time in the summer, although you can request to be allowed to take more.

I'd agree with RyanC, taking courses you don't need or aren't interested in is a bad idea, especially if you're having trouble paying for them. Part time or taking the term off and trying to find a job seems like a better bet.

Btw for finding a job, the student success centre offers workshops on writing resumes and they will critique yours for you. You can book an appointment with them or register for a workshop on OscarPlus if you think that might be useful for you.
Old 12-20-2013 at 07:15 PM   #7
HiddenTruth

Liked: 1 Time

Ask for a retro active withdrawal!! !!
Old 12-21-2013
genermcmillan
This message has been removed by a moderator. .