MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Directions to the Registrar Reda First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-08-2010 03:39 PM
Registrar Clarification dmzz Academics 5 02-27-2010 11:27 PM
MSU Launches Project Bus Beef u.yousaf MacInsiders Announcements 20 08-31-2009 02:26 PM
The office of the registrar screwed up? I think? lorend Academics 5 05-30-2009 04:52 PM

Registrar Beef.

Old 06-06-2009 at 02:18 AM   #16
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

Hey Entropy,

I figured almost everything for you,

For Chem 2WW2, there are three scheduled lectures but only two actual lectures because once the course starts the professor will change one of the lecture times into a tutorial time.

For Materials 2H04, the times for lectures and labs are the same because you only have 4 weeks of lectures and no labs during those weeks and then after those four weeks you'll have labs at that time and no lectures.

The Circuits and Power (2MM3) course can also be taken in the second term. Almost everyone in materials and society took it second term last year. And by taking that course in the second term it eliminates the conflicts with all the other courses except for the engineering and society course and the crystalline structures course. I'm not sure what to say about the conflict between 2Y03 and 2X03, I can't seem to find a solution at the moment.

Hope I've helped you a bit! Materials and Society is loads of fun!!

Entropy says thanks to ingénieur.xo for this post.
Old 06-06-2009 at 06:57 PM   #17
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

I'm trying to work out my first year schedule, and I have a question in regards to the Master Timetable. For first year physics, for example, there is C01-C04. I assume C stands for class, L for lab, and T for tutorial and so on. While I think I need to take all the labs and tutorials, I only need to take one of the C's right? Meaning C01 mo tu th timex to time y. w/ professor z.

Not take C01 " " "
C02 tu thu fri w/ prof.w
C03 fri tu mo w/ prof. unicorn

Am I right in thinking I need to only take one selection of the C's with the appropriate dates? Not all of the C's listed, opposed to all of the T's and L's.
Old 06-06-2009 at 07:06 PM   #18
zoyy

Liked: 9 Times

Yup, you choose only one Core section (C0_), but you also actually just choose ONE lab and ONE tutorial time. So for example, you pick C01, L01 and T01. Hope that helps.

dmzz says thanks to zoyy for this post.
Old 06-06-2009 at 07:11 PM   #19
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

That helps, thank you.

Any other tips for a first-timer here? It looks very overwhelming, and I am just trying to get all the different possible times down!
Old 06-06-2009 at 07:15 PM   #20
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmzz View Post
That helps, thank you.

Any other tips for a first-timer here? It looks very overwhelming, and I am just trying to get all the different possible times down!
As a first year engineer, I wouldn't worry about picking times and what not. Generally, your schedule is so complicated, that you should just let SOLAR pick what times for you, because that way you should avoid conflicts. I'm pretty sure that's what most first year engineers do anyways.
Old 06-06-2009 at 07:23 PM   #21
zoyy

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
As a first year engineer, I wouldn't worry about picking times and what not. Generally, your schedule is so complicated, that you should just let SOLAR pick what times for you, because that way you should avoid conflicts. I'm pretty sure that's what most first year engineers do anyways.
Yah, Greg's right. If I remember correctly, the schedule was already made for me. I spent all that time making my schedule work, but it was all useless since SOLAR did everything. When SOLAR opens, you just choose the courses you want, but the times aren't necessary.

Sometimes, you'll get a sched that has a conflict. That's what happened to me, because my elective was causing a problem. At that time, they allow you to change your timetable. So if you get a pretty bad sched, you may still be able to change it around
Old 06-06-2009 at 07:28 PM   #22
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

yep. when SOLAR opens in june you are only allowed to choose courses, but not specific sections.

Then in August you are allowed to change sections if you want.
Old 06-06-2009 at 07:30 PM   #23
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
I would do that if I knew how. Is that when I actually pay for the courses on the 29th or something? Does it automatically pick them w/ the least amount of conflicts, if I put in what courses I need? How does this work is what I'm getting at
Old 06-06-2009 at 07:51 PM   #24
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
I would do that if I knew how. Is that when I actually pay for the courses on the 29th or something? Does it automatically pick them w/ the least amount of conflicts, if I put in what courses I need? How does this work is what I'm getting at
Basically this is how it works:

SOLAR opens up for 1st year engineers on a certain date (Not sure offhand, but it's easy to find the schedule on mcmaster.ca)

At that time, you get to pick your courses, but the only thing you can do with them is designate what semester you would like to take them in.

(Don't forget to pay for your courses when you first pick them though, which would be this previous step)

After everyone at McMaster has been given an opportunity to pick courses, SOLAR will shutdown, and it's at this time that SOLAR goes ahead and makes everyone's schedule for them with the least amount of conflicts possible.

Then SOLAR will go online again and you can look at your schedule to see what you were given. At this point, you can re-login to SOLAR and change around Cores, Tutorials, Labs, etc. if you'd prefer a different time.

Chad, lorend all say thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 06-06-2009 at 09:43 PM   #25
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Quote:
That helps, thank you.

PTGregD is right.

Basically you need to register for all your courses by AUGUST 2ND 2009. If you do it on or before that date, then on AUGUST 3RD Solar closes down to start auto building everyone's timetables to be a conflict-free as possible. For engineering level 1, your courses are pretty well defined so you shouldn't have any problems. The only things that may cause conflict are the two electives you pick.

So just pick core sections, lab sections, and tutorial sections that work.. but if you run into trouble don't worry since the system will automatically fix things to be conflict-free for you if you register prior to AUGUST 3rd.

Learn more in the 2ND VIDEO TUTORIAL on the Mac Eng getting registered video tutorial website.

dmzz says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 06-06-2009 at 11:12 PM   #26
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Firstly, I must thank Alyssa for her helpful post. I didn't know 2MM3 could be taken second term since the MTT doesn't say much about it, but I'll take your word for it. It sure makes a lot of stuff easier. I'll work out the last two conflicts when I can.

To dmzz: I have nothing against what everyone else is saying, but if depending on your personal preferences, you may want to build your timetable ahead of time, or at least be aware of which timeframes you want to have free and which open, just to get your pick of profs. That way, when SOLAR opens, you can be the first in line and get a spot where you want before spots get filled in.

Personally, I hate waking up in the mornings, so I tried to build my timetable based on starting late, even if it meant staying at school later. You may end up in the opposite situation. SOLAR can be merciless sometimes. You could end up with a day that goes from 8:30 to 5:30 without breaks, and then maybe one day with like, one class (some people like that), or one class at 8:30, then a giant gap, and then another class much later in the day (some people like that too).

Also, I'd recommend trying to get Dr. Childs for Calc. He's pretty great, and his core section is almost guaranteed to fill up to capacity.
Old 06-07-2009 at 10:28 AM   #27
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Thanks, everyone, for the amazing help. I feel 110% more confident about the whole process after your comments and watching Chad's links to videos. Wooh! Finishing my last 2 exams this Monday and Tuesday, and then I think I'm actually good to go! Thanks guys! University is starting to kick in and become reality

Old 06-07-2009 at 10:35 AM   #28
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Thanks, everyone, for the amazing help. I feel 110% more confident about the whole process after your comments and watching Chad's links to videos. Wooh! Finishing my last 2 exams this Monday and Tuesday, and then I think I'm actually good to go! Thanks guys! University is starting to kick in and become reality

That's why we're here!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-07-2009 at 01:36 PM   #29
NickAcc

Liked: 2 Times

Hi, after looking through the master time table to see what my courses will be like next year, I have ran into two conflicts concerning lectures between required courses and electives.

The first conflict is:
Kinesiol 1EO3- Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at 13:30-14:20
Envir Sc 1AO3- Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at 13:30-14:20

The second conflict I ran into when i couldn't use my first elective and went to my back up elective is:
Kinesiol 1GO3- Monday and Thursday at 15:30-16:20 Tuesday at 16:30-17:20
Envir Sc 1BO3- Monday and Thursday at 15:30-16:20 Tuesday at 16:30-17:20

Now for both of these conflicts there is only one core for all four courses on the master timetable so I can't select different cores for avoiding this. Also the courses are only listed for the second semester. Since both kin courses are required for the course does that mean that i will not be able to take the two electives due to this conflict? Any chance there will be a change to this timetable making these courses available to me?

Any help or insight would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Nick
Old 06-07-2009 at 04:07 PM   #30
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

wait until tomorrow. the timetable that is up is definitely not finalized. If it's still the same tomorrow, then contact your faculty.