MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Directions to the Registrar Reda First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-08-2010 03:39 PM
Registrar Clarification dmzz Academics 5 02-27-2010 11:27 PM
MSU Launches Project Bus Beef u.yousaf MacInsiders Announcements 20 08-31-2009 02:26 PM
The office of the registrar screwed up? I think? lorend Academics 5 05-30-2009 04:52 PM

Registrar Beef.

Old 06-07-2009 at 06:58 PM   #31
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

You should definitely wait until tomorrow before jumping to any conclusions (like I'm doing), but I know that Kin is complete garbage in terms of scheduling. Sorry to be the bearer of Bad News, but if you enjoy Kinesiology and another subject...prepare for lots of conflicts. You're quite limited in Kinesiology, certain subjects just will not overlap nicely. (If anyone here is in Kin and took a 2nd subject succesfully, with few conflicts, please let us know what subject it was)

If you don't mind, I'd like to tell you about some of my frustrations in this regard. It might help you to know that I had the same problem, and I got through it (FYI, I was taking Kinesiology and Math courses, which did not line up well either).

In my second year, the main Kinesiology course, Exercise Physiology, conflicted with a very important Math course, Linear Algebra 2 (required for almost all 3rd year maths). After contacting everyone I could, getting ignored by email and in person, I had no way to solve this problem. Pretty much the only people who gave any sympathy were the course professors themselves, but they could not rearrange the schedules for just one unfortunate student...I wasn't expecting them to.

My two possible solutions were, take both conflicting courses, and only attend one course's lectures, or take the Math (since it was not my major) in third year to avoid the conflict.

Naturally, I wound up waiting to take the course, and getting a course waiver for the third year Math courses so I could take the 3rd year courses at the same time (I had to convince the professors that I could handle the courses). Wouldn't you know it, the same course conflicted again, with a third year Kinesiology course that I really wanted to take...and so did 2 other third year maths!

So sure enough, in my third year, I wound up accepting 3 course conflicts and only attending 7 sets of lectures. I had to make a decision regarding which one I found easier, and found someone to grab lecture notes from. The following year, I switched out of Kin, into Math because I was fed up (well, that and I like Math haha).

While I don't advise you to take both and avoid one set of lectures, particularly in your first year while you are adjusting to university life, it may be your only option if you want to take both courses...it's doable, but you really need to be able to do the legwork and maintain your lecture notes, etc. You must stay 'on the ball' as they say (particularly regarding test days). If you have a friend who can record the lectures for you (either with their voice recorder, or one you purchase and loan them) that can also help.

EDIT: In addition, I should probably note that I'm a textbook learner. I don't learn as well from lectures, and learn better from reading things myself...so if you are not a very good textbook (or lecture note) learner, you may have trouble learning the material from the course you decide not to attend! But perhaps a tutor or some other arrangement can help you succeed...it's a very difficult decision, and one that I was too afraid to persue in my 2nd year.

Anyway...again, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Hopefully things fix themselves in your benefit!

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-07-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-07-2009 at 07:46 PM   #32
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I'd also like to chime in here, that if a compulsory course conflicts with an elective, you're going to need to choose another elective. You'll have three others years to take the course, so taking something else in first year won't be the end of the world.

Hell, you may even enjoy the other course MORE.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-07-2009 at 07:51 PM   #33
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

^^Yes, that's definitely worth mention, sorry.

I was eager to take the 2nd year Math in my 2nd year, because I wanted to take Math right up until 4th year, and keep my options open...so to me, the Math was in some sense, a compulsory course.

If your attitude toward Enviro-sci is not the same, you might want to just put it off, and find another elective you might like.
Old 06-07-2009 at 07:53 PM   #34
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Aaaand MacInsiders has a whole course reviews section; where students review the classes they've taken. So then you can get the perspectives of other students and how they thought the courses were.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement