MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reinstatement letter help johnwill123 Academics 17 05-04-2014 01:30 AM
Reinstatement Letter Ziggi Academics 4 06-28-2013 12:23 PM
My reinstatement Letter..please read lifesciman1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 24 05-04-2012 08:28 PM
Reinstatement Letter hellomac Academics 3 06-15-2011 12:07 AM
reinstatement letter ali999 Academics 2 06-04-2009 10:26 AM

Reinstatement letter help

Old 02-10-2015 at 10:35 AM   #1
jebidiah123

Liked: 0 Times

Reinstatement letter help
hey guys, i'm applying for a reinstatement into mac's engineering program, 1st year was a disaster but i really feel like i can do better this time. all feedback is welcome as i really want to get admitted

Dear Reinstatement Committee,
Prior to attending McMaster, I spent my whole life living in a completely different culture where hard work and performance were necessary. However, I owe this push to my parents and family members, who had always convinced me to strive to become the strongest version of myself. Coming to Canada in September 2013, I was exposed to a whole new difficulty where I had to become completely independent while being thousands of miles away from home; it was extremely difficult. In addition, I opted to live off campus during my first year in a student apartment which proved to be very challenging. I struggled to maintain a balance of classes, leisure time, and self-improvement, due to my poor ability to prioritize situations at the time. After my first year had been completed, I found that I had fallen below the minimum cumulative average required to advance into second year. I take full responsibility for not performing well in school due to my poor decision-making skills at the time. After learning of my suspension, I decided it was time to develop my personal skills and improve my work habits. During the summer of 2014, I did an internship at an oil and gas consultant company, where I developed disciplinary and engineering skills; which included assisting and over-viewing the process design of upstream oil and gas facilities, which included the design of pipe lines and tank farms. After completing my internship, I opted to do one year at the ____ University [confidentiality] studying Chemical Engineering. Attending college and working an internship at an oil and gas firm has definitely drastically improved my time-management and decision making skills, which is evident due to my grades drastically improving. I have learned from the mistakes done in my first year at McMaster and have matured greatly since then. I request to be reinstated into the Chemical Engineering program at McMaster, as I feel that McMaster is more fit towards achieving my goals as an individual and an engineer. During my internship at the oil and gas firm, I developed a lot of connections with various engineers from different fields and was exposed to a variety of engineering fields, which is why I opted to go into Chemical Engineering. I hope that McMaster can reconsider my status and offer me a reinstatement at this time.
Old 02-10-2015 at 12:41 PM   #2
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

Hey brother, without the basic math skills of 3 first year courses, plus 2 physics courses, do you really think that you can improve next year? I mean everything is gonna be built upon that, and academicaly, you did not improve in the summer at all.., you might be slightly too far behind in my view.., plus you took a gap year enough to forget everything..

But, it is a specific branch that you are choosing, and I beleive chem eng is the hardest major(of all programs) in university(just, chemistry, thermo and crap), it is your descision. But I would say that instead of being rejected twice in your life, (after second year too), and spending more money towards another failed year, I would say you should stop..

World is a cruel place my friend, you dont always get to be a child..
Old 02-10-2015 at 01:11 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralts40(2) View Post
Hey brother, without the basic math skills of 3 first year courses, plus 2 physics courses, do you really think that you can improve next year? I mean everything is gonna be built upon that, and academicaly, you did not improve in the summer at all.., you might be slightly too far behind in my view.., plus you took a gap year enough to forget everything..

But, it is a specific branch that you are choosing, and I beleive chem eng is the hardest major(of all programs) in university(just, chemistry, thermo and crap), it is your descision. But I would say that instead of being rejected twice in your life, (after second year too), and spending more money towards another failed year, I would say you should stop..

World is a cruel place my friend, you dont always get to be a child..
Without basic reading skills, do you really think that you can judge?
The OP wrote that they did a year of chem eng at another school (most likely a school that specializes from first year) - so that would give them the basic foundations as well as prevent forgetting everything by taking a year off.

There is nothing wrong with applying and being rejected. You'll never get in if you don't even bother trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebidiah123 View Post
hey guys, i'm applying for a reinstatement into mac's engineering program, 1st year was a disaster but i really feel like i can do better this time. all feedback is welcome as i really want to get admitted

Dear Reinstatement Committee,
Prior to attending McMaster, I spent my whole life living in a completely different culture where hard work and performance were necessary. However, I owe this push to my parents and family members, who had always convinced me to strive to become the strongest version of myself. Coming to Canada in September 2013, I was exposed to a whole new difficulty where I had to become completely independent while being thousands of miles away from home; it was extremely difficult. In addition, I opted to live off campus during my first year in a student apartment which proved to be very challenging. I struggled to maintain a balance of classes, leisure time, and self-improvement, due to my poor ability to prioritize situations at the time. After my first year had been completed, I found that I had fallen below the minimum cumulative average required to advance into second year. I take full responsibility for not performing well in school due to my poor decision-making skills at the time. After learning of my suspension, I decided it was time to develop my personal skills and improve my work habits. During the summer of 2014, I did an internship at an oil and gas consultant company, where I developed disciplinary and engineering skills; which included assisting and over-viewing the process design of upstream oil and gas facilities, which included the design of pipe lines and tank farms. After completing my internship, I opted to do one year at the ____ University [confidentiality] studying Chemical Engineering. Attending college and working an internship at an oil and gas firm has definitely drastically improved my time-management and decision making skills, which is evident due to my grades drastically improving. I have learned from the mistakes done in my first year at McMaster and have matured greatly since then. I request to be reinstated into the Chemical Engineering program at McMaster, as I feel that McMaster is more fit towards achieving my goals as an individual and an engineer. During my internship at the oil and gas firm, I developed a lot of connections with various engineers from different fields and was exposed to a variety of engineering fields, which is why I opted to go into Chemical Engineering. I hope that McMaster can reconsider my status and offer me a reinstatement at this time.
I would have someone edit this for grammar and clarity, and make sure you're using the right words to describe the situation. If you're applying for reinstatement, then you weren't suspended - a suspension implies you will automatically be allowed back at school after a certain period of time. Calling it a suspension makes you seem a bit arrogant. Also, talking about going to a specific university, and then switching and saying you went to college...in Canada, those are not the same thing and you cannot use them interchangeably. Don't write too casually.

Your first two sentences are confusing and irrelevant - I don't see what they add to your reinstatement letter, and if anything, I think they take away from the message you want to send.

Use hard examples - what courses did you take? What were your grades? What specific steps did you take to improve your time management skills? If you're allowed back to Mac, what steps will you take to ensure you don't encounter the same problems?
Old 02-10-2015 at 01:32 PM   #4
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

Just wanted to draw attention to the forum to help a fellow brother out.. Works all the time, nobody responded in the first two hours of posting, and here comes the storm..