MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My reinstatement Letter..please read lifesciman1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 24 05-04-2012 08:28 PM
Reinstatement Letter hellomac Academics 3 06-15-2011 12:07 AM
humanities reinstatement Letter noniss2 Academics 5 07-06-2010 03:07 PM
Reinstatement Letter Review njd123 Academics 2 06-25-2010 10:57 AM
reinstatement letter ali999 Academics 2 06-04-2009 10:26 AM

Reinstatement letter please read

Old 05-24-2012 at 11:02 PM   #16
nathanb

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
No transcript required, your a mac student.
Not sure what else you need to attach..
do i need to put everything in an envelpoe or do i just staple everything and hand to gilmour hall ?
Old 05-24-2012 at 11:05 PM   #17
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanb View Post
I was wondering if i should add this part to my letter to show that i tried to get help

"When it came to final exams in April I knew I had to fully understand my material in order to pass my MATH 1ZC3 class and my MATH 1ZB3 class. I then sought out a tutor to help me understand the material as much as possible. I was able to pass MATH 1ZC3 with a 2 but failed 1ZB3 as I received a 50% on the final exam, which was not enough for me to pass the course."

is this a good idea to add ?
I think you should word it differently. A 2 and a 0 are both below the average you need to stay at Mac, you should be telling them how you'll do BETTER than that, not that you got help and that was the result. Maybe say something like, in April when things started getting better you got a tutor and worked really hard but it wasn't enough to make up for the rest of the term, and if you get reinstated you'll stick with the tutor from the beginning of the term and make sure you understand everything as it's being taught, rather than playing catch-up in April.
Focus on the tutor and how it WILL help, rather than how it DIDN'T help.

arathbon likes this.
Old 05-24-2012 at 11:21 PM   #18
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

its due june 30th am i correct? for science?
Old 05-24-2012 at 11:23 PM   #19
nathanb

does this sound good ?

"In April when things started to get better I got a tutor and worked really hard but it wasn’t enough to make up for the rest of the term. If reinstated I will stick with a tutor from the beginning of the term and make sure I understand everything as it is being taught so I do not fall behind on subsequent information.

I am currently enrolled in term 1 summer school for MATH 1ZA3 and I am doing very well by taking full advantage of the math help centre hours and professors drop in hours. Our financial difficulties have healed immensely and I’ve had time to recover from my uncles passing which has allowed me to focus more on my academic performance. If reinstated, I fully intend to contact McMaster’s Student Wellness Centre to inquire and register for the workshops available to students to improve my time management skills, study skills and build an action plan and set goals to ultimately achieve academic success. I also plan on getting counseling at the Student Wellness Centre to ensure that my academic performance does not become negatively affected again if one of my parents loses a job. For addidtional assistance I will go to the help centers and to go see the professors during their office hours for any assistance I may need to progress well academically. I have also decided to extend my undergraduate career to an extra year and take summer courses to lighten my coarse load and take no more then five courses per term so I am able to focus more on those courses.

As evidence by my high school transcript, I excel with second chances. In Advanced Functions, I raised my mark from a 56% to an 83% overall upon retaking the class. I also did exceptionally well in Computer Engineering Technology 92% as I have a great interest for it. I understand how important a university education and degree is in everyday life and would greatly appreciate the opportunity to receive a degree from McMaster. "
Old 05-24-2012 at 11:24 PM   #20
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
do i need to put everything in an envelpoe or do i just staple everything and hand to gilmour hall ?
I would staple everything together and bring an envelope with me just in case...if they don't need the envelope you can just take it back.
Good luck
Old 05-24-2012 at 11:24 PM   #21
nathanb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesciman1 View Post
its due june 30th am i correct? for science?
yes June 30th is for anyone looking for reinstatement for the fall/winter year

lifesciman1 says thanks to nathanb for this post.
Old 05-24-2012 at 11:51 PM   #22
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
I think the point people were trying to make is that although the commute does suck and take time out of the day, thousands of students (including yourself) do it every day and are still able to get decent grades. Commuting does not equate to an inability to get a CA above 3, and if the people making the decision feel that this is one of the reasons why the OP thinks they did poorly, it will probably hurt their case more than help it. It would be better to focus on and emphasize the poor time management aspects, rather than that they have to commute.
I agree on not emphasizing, just that if he feels like it will actually help him with his time management to include it as part of the steps he's taking to improve his time management. I don't think he should cite it as a reason he did poorly, but as something he's doing as small part of a holistic package to aid himself. I would say something along the lines of "In addition to the other steps I am taking to improve my time management, I will be doing x to reduce the time I spend commuting and to improve my effectiveness at studying once I am home." and not mentioning it anywhere else.
Old 05-25-2012 at 12:07 AM   #23
nathanb

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
I agree on not emphasizing, just that if he feels like it will actually help him with his time management to include it as part of the steps he's taking to improve his time management. I don't think he should cite it as a reason he did poorly, but as something he's doing as small part of a holistic package to aid himself. I would say something along the lines of "In addition to the other steps I am taking to improve my time management, I will be doing x to reduce the time I spend commuting and to improve my effectiveness at studying once I am home." and not mentioning it anywhere else.
thank you so much i really appreciate all the help you guys have been giving me.

so does this statement cover my time management ?

If reinstated, I fully intend to contact McMaster’s Student Wellness Centre to inquire and register for the workshops available to students to improve my time management skills, study skills and build an action plan and set goals to ultimately achieve academic success. I also plan on getting counseling at the Student Wellness Centre to ensure that my academic performance does not become negatively affected again if one of my parents loses a job. For additional assistance I will go to the help centers and to go see the professors during their office hours for any assistance I may need to progress well academically.
Old 05-25-2012 at 12:08 AM   #24
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
thank you so much i really appreciate all the help you guys have been giving me.

so does this statement cover my time management ?

If reinstated, I fully intend to contact McMaster’s Student Wellness Centre to inquire and register for the workshops available to students to improve my time management skills, study skills and build an action plan and set goals to ultimately achieve academic success. I also plan on getting counseling at the Student Wellness Centre to ensure that my academic performance does not become negatively affected again if one of my parents loses a job. For additional assistance I will go to the help centers and to go see the professors during their office hours for any assistance I may need to progress well academically.
Something like that. If you have any specific actions you'd take right away to improve your time management (as opposed to going to workshops to learn about them) I'd say it might be good to include them, depending on what people think.
Old 05-25-2012 at 12:14 AM   #25
nathanb

how is this then

In addition to the other steps I am taking to improve my time management, I will be getting rides from my parents to reduce the time I spend commuting and to improve my effectiveness at studying once I am home.
is this a good enough reason or does it have to be better
Old 05-25-2012 at 12:16 AM   #26
Commie85071
Account Locked

Liked: 26 Times

you need to take that bit out about taking 5 courses during the term. When you move to level two the engineering faculty is tougher on you when it comes to gpa requirements if you dont have a full course load.
Old 05-25-2012 at 12:25 AM   #27
nathanb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie85071 View Post
you need to take that bit out about taking 5 courses during the term. When you move to level two the engineering faculty is tougher on you when it comes to gpa requirements if you dont have a full course load.
thanks just took it out and which sounds better

"I have also decided to extend my undergraduate career to an extra year and take summer courses to lighten my course load so I am able to focus more on those courses and achieve higher grades."

or

"I have decided to extend my undergraduate career to an extra year to lighten my course load so I am able to achieve higher grades."
Old 05-25-2012 at 01:48 AM   #28
Incognitus

Liked: 19 Times

IMO:
1) The commuting bit - If you really feel that the commute played a role in your poor performance, then you have to include it, contrary to a few other members' suggestions. Yes, many students have this issue. But (as cheesy as this sounds) there's only one you, and only you truly understand the boundaries you've faced. However, you need to strengthen it somewhat... At a basic level, simply spending time on the bus is not a debilitating issue. However if as arathbon said, you found yourself fatigued after the long bus ride and unable to focus, then it's worth mentioning. To emphasize, you should mention how you will fix this in the future. Namely, as a commuter myself for 6 years (East Hamilton Mountain), I began studying on the bus rides. This made them seem shorter, and I got some studying done at a time when I couldn't be enjoying myself anyhow.

2) The financial stuff is good. As was mentioned however, you should say what you've learned from the experience, as opposed to simply saying it's been resolved. Have you improved your time management skills? Have you looked into McMaster's grants/bursaries for low income families? If you can somehow show you've taken some initiative, then this will do a world of good for your reinstatement prospects.

3) For math: say you've gotten private tutoring, and your tutor assures you that you have improved during your time together. You have made great gains in your time management abilities and strive to complete your homework as it is assigned, without letting it pile up. According to your tutor, doing math consistently is the key to learning it successfully, and this is a philosophy you are eager to implement in your other classes. Unfortunately, this lesson was learned after a substantial portion of the evaluation for 1ZB3 was finalized and your improved results were not enough to pass the course.

4) I don't think you should say you're trying to lighten your load...Engineering is a notoriously overloaded program. What (I think) you should be trying to convince them of, is that you can handle a full workload because you've learned from your mistakes. Should you try and take courses to lighten your load, no one's the wiser (and I think that's a good idea), but they don't need to know that. (; Not to mention...your undergraduate career is prolonged by one year regardless, due to your performance this past year.

Good luck!
Old 05-25-2012
eddiemurphy
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 05-25-2012 at 01:09 PM   #29
nathanb

reinstatement without a year off
I just wanted to know if there were any engineers who were reinstated before without taking a year off. what were your circumstances.