MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
missing move-in day dumbconsumer Residence & Housing 3 08-20-2010 11:12 AM
Missing only 1 pre-req course for degree jordan19 Academics 24 08-10-2010 10:08 AM
RES damage charges? paperplanes Residence & Housing 10 05-06-2010 08:02 PM
Missing! mackid91 General Discussion 5 02-03-2010 11:29 AM
extra charges? moskal89 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 11-08-2008 11:43 PM

Res missing item charges

Old 05-29-2010 at 08:54 PM   #1
~~~~

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Res missing item charges
My roommate and I lived in a traditional room and we each got charged $45.20 for a missing desk lamp. We sort of knew there was supposed to be a lamp but we did not report this before the supposed deadline of Sept 13.

We want to know if other people got charged for damage/missing items they are not responsible for and how many people actually had lamps in their rooms in the first place!
Old 05-29-2010 at 09:23 PM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Yup, when I was in first year I never had a garbage can, and they charged me for that at the end of the year. Dont even bother fighting it, they don't listen.
Old 06-03-2010 at 09:07 PM   #3
sana1504

Liked: 7 Times

I got charged for a missing garbage can as well!
(It seems like there is 1 garbage can but there are actually 2 (stacked on top of one another))
anyways, I e-mailed them 4 times (its been over 3 weeks) - no response.
I called them also - they said they got 100s of appeals and that they are physically going to the rooms and checking them for the items. I didn't mind that it might take a while, its just that we can't access our marks or see what program we got into until we paid off the fine on our student account. I ended up paying it in case this went on till June 14, when I would have to use Solar for course registration. If they found the missing item and we already paid the fine, they said they would credit the fine to our account. It's been almost a month, I doubt I will get my money back.

Last edited by sana1504 : 06-03-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-04-2010 at 02:50 PM   #4
sana1504

Liked: 7 Times

edit - omg i got an e-mail today saying they would give me a refund. yay it finally worked!

Last edited by sana1504 : 06-04-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-05-2010 at 08:53 PM   #5
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

The thing about these residence fees is that, you actually dont have to get billed for a lot of things. The thing is that, people are scared to report things because they think they'll get charged. But in actuality, most of the things you report you wont get billed for.
Old 06-05-2010 at 09:07 PM   #6
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I keep getting tossed around. apparently there was supposed to be a garbage in your LP bathroom? I was not aware of this, and did not have one all year. Anyways, they charged BOTH my roommate and I the same charge for it. I have been trying to makethe point that I LEFT 2 days before my roommate did though. It's ridiculous the stories I keep getting, and I've called in over 5 times now. Absolute. Insanity.
Old 06-09-2010 at 12:54 PM   #7
SashDoods

Liked: 1 Time

My friend got charged for missing a mattress pad and he couldn't see his marks. But he never even got one with his bed.
Old 06-09-2010 at 01:24 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashDoods View Post
My friend got charged for missing a mattress pad and he couldn't see his marks. But he never even got one with his bed.
Yeah, it's important to notify housing when you are missing items the day you move into residence. It's kind of weird how they don't check the rooms to replace missing items before students move in.
Old 06-09-2010 at 03:20 PM   #9
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
The thing about these residence fees is that, you actually dont have to get billed for a lot of things. The thing is that, people are scared to report things because they think they'll get charged. But in actuality, most of the things you report you wont get billed for.
Thats so true. After accidentally making a pretty large crack in the paint in our wall, we reported it, a guy came and fixed it and we never got charged.

Thats so weird how they charge you for a garbage can but not for having to have a guy come in and fix something.
Old 06-09-2010 at 04:00 PM   #10
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

They are absolutly ridiculous. I left 2 days before my roommate. I signed out and all. Something went missing between my departure and his... I am charged. To me, it's like this:

You and another person are renting an apartment: Separate bills, separate contracts with the owner. Your term is up before the other person, and when you leave, the owner refuses to look around the apartment, but you tell them that if they go in there, everything will be in the room as it should be.
Then the other person leaves in a few days, but in that time, they TRASHED the place... The owner splits the cost between you and the other person.

Is there ANY LOGIC in this at all?

I've tried calling, asking for supervisors, and then asking for the supervisor's supervisor.... They ignore me completely, and they work silly hours. I'm sorry, but I WORK for my money in the summer, and I am unable to call you while you're in your office.
Old 06-09-2010 at 05:14 PM   #11
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

You can always "trade" or "borrow" items from the common/bath rooms.
Old 06-11-2010 at 09:36 PM   #12
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nila* View Post
Thats so true. After accidentally making a pretty large crack in the paint in our wall, we reported it, a guy came and fixed it and we never got charged.

Thats so weird how they charge you for a garbage can but not for having to have a guy come in and fix something.
Lol Yup, working for the residence people, you get to learn these things
Old 06-16-2010 at 01:38 AM   #13
resh.jyoti

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashDoods View Post
THAT exactly happened to me! I thought my roommate bought the pad in the first place, and I told them that but they didnt care. It's useless fighting these people.

What they told me was that I got an email from them, saying what was supposed to be in the room. I never did, and IF I did, it must have been in like JULY when we were assigned rooms - how the hell am I supposed to remember that from July to August?

And it IS really weird how they don't check for missing things in your room before you move in. I mean, if they did, this entire process would be fine -_-' .

They should physically pin a list of what is supposed to be in your room to your corkboard. Like really, if I can think of that, why can't they? We'd all be happier, for goodness sake!

Last edited by resh.jyoti : 06-16-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-16-2010 at 12:39 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by resh.jyoti View Post
THAT exactly happened to me! I thought my roommate bought the pad in the first place, and I told them that but they didnt care. It's useless fighting these people.

What they told me was that I got an email from them, saying what was supposed to be in the room. I never did, and IF I did, it must have been in like JULY when we were assigned rooms - how the hell am I supposed to remember that from July to August?

And it IS really weird how they don't check for missing things in your room before you move in. I mean, if they did, this entire process would be fine -_-' .

They should physically pin a list of what is supposed to be in your room to your corkboard. Like really, if I can think of that, why can't they? We'd all be happier, for goodness sake!
It would probably cost a lot to check every room. There are a lot of rooms on campus and quite a bit of items in a room.
Old 06-16-2010 at 12:41 PM   #15
resh.jyoti

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
It would probably cost a lot to check every room. There are a lot of rooms on campus and quite a bit of items in a room.
Well then a physical list wouldnt be a problem then - i mean they have to check the rooms to find out if there are things missing at the end of the year anyways...