MacInsiders Logo
Old 05-02-2011 at 10:08 PM   #91
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
Yeah, you gotta be stupid to get good grades, get an M.D, go through residence and than perform many medical procedures. If that's stupidity, then you guys have the brain power of a rat.
Being intelligent in one area does not make you intelligent in all areas.
Old 05-02-2011 at 10:12 PM   #92
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
Stupidity comes in all shapes and sizes.

Old 05-02-2011 at 10:36 PM   #93
TedMosby

Liked: 34 Times

It's as if people WANT there to be a conspiracy. You guys need to understand for any of these crazy conspiracy theories to be true, thousands of people need to hold on to the secret for the rest of their lives and no one can ever spill the beans, which is near next to impossible. Someone reputable would break sooner or later, and that has never happened for the Moon Landing, 9/11 bombings, Denver Airport, (insert crazy conspiracy theory here), etc.
Old 05-02-2011 at 11:21 PM   #94
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
You're making yourself look like an idiot.

Ron Paul is a medical doctor, how can he be an idiot ?

I don't use my emotions to understand the difference between a bad guy (Obama) and a good one (Ron PAul). One is for wars and the other isn't.

Over-analyzing leads to theories ? Wow, that statement makes every scientific discovery look like a conspiracy theory.

Yeah, and they want to release a video of him speaking, which will only help Al Qaeda recruit potential terrorists.

If you're out of arguments, I can make some for you.
-medical doctor does not imply he is intelligent, capable to communicate or able to lead.
-I.e some students will end up with degrees but at the end of day are not the brightest of people and some people will be super intelligent and have no degrees. Degrees do not imply intelligence.
-You are now calling someone a bad guy and a good guy....emotions...
-over analyzing tends to lead to good and bad theories more often bad. Perfect example conspiracy theories, non-heliocentric model of the solar system, 2012 Apocalypse etc... always remember occam's razor.
Old 05-02-2011 at 11:26 PM   #95
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
You're making yourself look like an idiot.

Ron Paul is a medical doctor, how can he be an idiot ?

I don't use my emotions to understand the difference between a bad guy (Obama) and a good one (Ron PAul). One is for wars and the other isn't.

Over-analyzing leads to theories ? Wow, that statement makes every scientific discovery look like a conspiracy theory.

Yeah, and they want to release a video of him speaking, which will only help Al Qaeda recruit potential terrorists.

If you're out of arguments, I can make some for you.
You're so inarticulate its embarassing. Kinda turning me off of icecream. :(

Old 05-02-2011 at 11:26 PM   #96
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Yeah, you gotta be stupid to get good grades, get an M.D, go through residence and than perform many medical procedures. If that's stupidity, then you guys have the brain power of a rat.
Interesting, because in all likelihood, a computer would be able to:
a) excel in a discipline requiring extensive memorization (eg. biology undergraduate, and medical work)
b) perform inherently algorithmic physical tasks

Would you call a computer intelligent in human terms? If so, then your argument stands up. If not, you'd better think of a new one.

macsci, Revolution1, TedMosby like this.
Old 05-02-2011 at 11:30 PM   #97
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedMosby View Post
It's as if people WANT there to be a conspiracy. You guys need to understand for any of these crazy conspiracy theories to be true, thousands of people need to hold on to the secret for the rest of their lives and no one can ever spill the beans, which is near next to impossible. Someone reputable would break sooner or later, and that has never happened for the Moon Landing, 9/11 bombings, Denver Airport, (insert crazy conspiracy theory here), etc.
I have never been a supporter of conspiracy theories but this whole debacle is very hard for me to believe. They first stated his body was buried in accordance to Islamic Law, and then say he was buried in a sea which pretty much goes against the entire burial procedure in Islam. They then provide ludicrous justifications on why it was done so. Regardless of a shrine being their or not Osama and his ideology will always exist in Al Qaida and will resonate among all of its recruits. I just don't get it and frankly i don't really care. Alive or dead the United states will continue to execute whatever it wants to do.
Old 05-02-2011 at 11:35 PM   #98
TedMosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
I have never been a supporter of conspiracy theories but this whole debacle is very hard for me to believe. They first stated his body was buried in accordance to Islamic Law, and then say he was buried in a sea which pretty much goes against the entire burial procedure in Islam. They then provide ludicrous justifications on why it was done so. Regardless of a shrine being their or not Osama and his ideology will always exist in Al Qaida and will resonate among all of its recruits. I just don't get it and frankly i don't really care. Alive or dead the United states will continue to execute whatever it wants to do.
I guess their hope is it'll be similar to the way Nazism practically died when Hitler died.
Old 05-02-2011 at 11:41 PM   #99
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedMosby View Post
I guess their hope is it'll be similar to the way Nazism practically died when Hitler died.
Aslong as turmoil exists within the Middle East and as US intervention increases, Al-Qaida's ideology will continue to flourish. Bin Laden was not really a motivator for Al-Qaida, more so hatred for the US and Israel. Regardless of his body being in a physical location he will now be seen as a martyr and will serve as a catalase for more attacks.
Old 05-02-2011 at 11:54 PM   #100
TedMosby

I just don't see what anyone would have done in this situation. You can either let him live, detain him, or kill him. No matter what you do, you'll have crazies carrying out attacks. However, Al-Qaida won't last forever, because in the grand scheme of things it's always the guy with the bigger guns that wins. What's depressing is that there will continue to be a loss of innocent life.
Old 05-03-2011 at 12:33 AM   #101
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

This is going to be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Mention Ron Paul is basically my go-to indicator that somebody is a loon or a moron.
Tells me a lot about you. Can't really form an argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
Being intelligent in one area does not make you intelligent in all areas.
There is no such thing as being intelligent in an area or being idiot in another one.
Knowledgeable in one area ? Yes. Ignorant in one ? Yes. Scientific intelligence is the brainpower which is used for a scientific process of thinking (going from A to B, using facts, making decisions, solving problems)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
-medical doctor does not imply he is intelligent, capable to communicate or able to lead.
-I.e some students will end up with degrees but at the end of day are not the brightest of people and some people will be super intelligent and have no degrees. Degrees do not imply intelligence.
-You are now calling someone a bad guy and a good guy....emotions...
-over analyzing tends to lead to good and bad theories more often bad. Perfect example conspiracy theories, non-heliocentric model of the solar system, 2012 Apocalypse etc... always remember occam's razor.
Define Intelligence. I doubt you know what it means because you are implying two different definitions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Interesting, because in all likelihood, a computer would be able to:
a) excel in a discipline requiring extensive memorization (eg. biology undergraduate, and medical work)
b) perform inherently algorithmic physical tasks

Would you call a computer intelligent in human terms? If so, then your argument stands up. If not, you'd better think of a new one.
I have never seen or heard of a computer being able to learn something by itself. In other words, no computers can conduct discoveries or learn by self-teaching (witch all med students have to go through).

Again, you have failed to bring a proper definition of "intelligence". It seems that all of you are not talking about the same thing. And stop using circular logic : "Oh because your argument doesn't stand up, think of a new one." You're the one who doesn't seem to know what intelligence is.

Omg, I have to teach to you guys how to debate...

DEFINE your main terms. In this case, the main term is intelligence. One of you is referring to intelligence as the ability to memorize, lead or communicate. Typical ignorance. Decide on one sound definition before you talk nonsense.

Last edited by Icecream : 05-03-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-03-2011 at 12:40 AM   #102
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Tells me a lot about you. Can't really form an argument...
I don't need to. I know a fair amount about Ron Paul and his libertarian twaddle. He's spectacularly short-sighted and extremist when it comes to issues that matters.. most of his ideas about how government should be run just make no sense or have any practical logical way of implementation. Its no wonder most of his supporters live on the internet, are fringe loons, or are conspiracy theorists.
Old 05-03-2011 at 12:44 AM   #103
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I don't need to. I know a fair amount about Ron Paul and his libertarian twaddle. He's spectacularly short-sighted and extremist when it comes to issues that matters.. most of his ideas about how government should be run just make no sense or have any practical logical way of implementation. Its no wonder most of his supporters live on the internet, are fringe loons, or are conspiracy theorists.
Like if you knew anything about running a government. You don't really go traveling much. Do you have a source to back the statement I labeled in bold ?

Typical anti-freedom tactic : Label with names so that people will pay less attention to those targeted. Example:"Shut up, you're a "birther", conspiracy theorist, terrorist..."

Are you a Pro-war supporter ? I don't know about you, but I studied American History/Politics. And Ron Paul is the closest guy to the Founding Fathers they got.

He's against policing the world (Thomas Jefersson +)

Against the Federal Bank (Devalues the US dollar day by day, an it's not even a democratic institution. I.e. Not any members of the Federal Bank are chosen by Prez.)

He actually believes in talking, which is what civilized people do.

And Again, you don't bring up fact. It's quite the opposite with you : insults, lies and no arguments formed.

Last edited by Icecream : 05-03-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-03-2011 at 12:53 AM   #104
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Like if you knew anything about running a government. You don't really go traveling much. Do you have a source to back the statement I labeled in bold ?

Typical anti-freedom tactic : Label with names so that people will pay less attention to those targeted. Example:"Shut up, you're a "birther", conspiracy theorist, terrorist..."

Are you a Pro-war supporter ? I don't know about you, but I studied American History/Politics. And Ron Paul is the closest guy to the Founding Fathers they got.

He's against policing the world (Thomas Jefersson +)

Against the Federal Bank (Devalues the US dollar day by day, an it's not even a democratic institution. I.e. Not any members of the Federal Bank are chosen by Prez.)

He actually believes in talking, which is what civilized people do.

And Again, you don't bring up fact. It's quite the opposite with you : insults, lies and no arguments formed.
I'm neither pro nor anti war, I don't believe its that simple.. some degree of foreign intervention is necessary to protect domestic interests.

I agree with the point about the Fed, but it isn't a simple issue as abolishing it as a magical solution. The US dug itself into a hole over time.. I don't exactly know a whole lot about currency economics to be honest.

I'm not saying his opinions are totally worthless, but he's extremest and a very poor candidate for public office.

Amaryll, L'Étoile like this.
Old 05-03-2011 at 12:59 AM   #105
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
There is no such thing as being intelligent in an area or being idiot in another one.
I disagree with you.

Intelligence means that you are able to learn and excel in a given situation. Sound about right?

Okay so. I can handle just about everything I've come across in school (bio, chem, math, etc.) with a fair bit of ease but every time I've tried to learn an instrument, I've failed miserably.

Does this not mean I am fairly intelligent in one area and not intelligent in another?

Eternal Fire says thanks to RememberTwce for this post.

Amaryll, L'Étoile, TedMosby like this.