MacInsiders Logo
Old 05-03-2011 at 04:06 PM   #121
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
I would 'edit', but the interface won't let me...

Anyway, I noticed you had a small point about 'learning' new material. Of course computers can learn in precisely the same way medical students do - in fact, they can probably learn in a more "intelligent" way (I'm still waiting for you to accept or reject a definition) than most students. Give them a set of biological 'axioms' and 'rules of inference' and then give them lecture and textbook equivalents (the same things you'd give a student), perhaps delivered differently, and they should be able to rote memorize concepts no problem. Indeed, they'd probably be better problem solvers than most students in that situation, given the same amount of information.
Again, you are assuming what a computer of the future can do...

Can computers today, perform a diagnosis in a psychological/social manner ?
Old 05-03-2011 at 04:11 PM   #122
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

^^ at "computer of the future"

That's the basic idea of any computing machine. Computers could technically do that decades ago.

Old 05-03-2011 at 04:14 PM   #123
Icecream
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I'm not up on Islamic burial procedure, but it seems like the sea was the least worst/one of the few possible options.

/I wouldn't read too much into it. Looks like they're talking about releasing legit pics, they have a few of the war room/whatever you want to call it with Obama and Co. during the up.
No they just don't want people to see is corpse.

They could have kept the body for a few days and showed it to the public, just like they did with Che Guevara or Taliban Commanders.

Then, some people will say :"Oh they couldn't have kept the body or USA's population might be in danger" Well, that's not true because Al Qaeda couldn't do much anyway from 2010-2011.

The US govt say that they might not release the photos because they are too gruesome...

CNN and other news channels always show gruesome pictures.

The US govt are liars and what's funny is that the majority of Americans are so gullible.

I think Osama bin Laden was killed a long time ago, Obama is using his death for many reasons like boost of votes for 2012 presidency, possible hastening of US troops withdrawal and other reasons.

Why should we believe a government which lied so much for so long.
Old 05-03-2011 at 04:15 PM   #124
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Again, I can't edit for some reason.

To clarify: the 'idea' of a computing machine is not to diagnose, of course, but we can easily apply the basic functional properties of computers to diagnosis.

Given what diagnosis really is (the matching of 'symptoms' with 'diseases'), we could assign probability values to diseases (just like teaching doctors would give a probability in a perhaps less explicit way to students) and in all likelihood have computers making quicker and more effective diagnoses.

Of course the 'social' qualities of a doctor wouldn't be there (at first, at least), but that's not the point I'm contesting. I said nothing about whether doctors are nicer than computers.

Old 05-03-2011 at 04:25 PM   #125
Revolution1

Liked: 77 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
To get an MD you might not be stupid but you don't have to be smart.

Getting an MD is more about sacrificing your health, sanity, social life and any fun you have.
If you can successfully do that, you'd be volunteering, working, doing research, getting good grades, and you'd have a better chance to get into med school than any "smart" person just because that smart person still wants to have a life. As long as you aren't a total moron and can present yourself moderately well in interviews you'd be more likely to get in, and once you're in;

More sacrifice - sacrifice your health, old friendships, and any fun to ensure you continue studying every waking moment.

Then as a resident: sacrifice your sleep, which leads to worse health conditions, sacrifice your well being (in terms of stress, eating habits, etc), and hey look! You're an MD! Congratulations!

No intelligence required.
You're right. Hard work, sacrifice, an iron resolve, and excellent luck are really "only" all you need to obtain an MD. Although, that's not necessarily a bad thing. If only geniuses were accepted, it'd be the end of the line for those of us ordinary folks dreaming about a career in medicine.

Last edited by Revolution1 : 05-03-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2011 at 04:28 PM  
Icecream
Account Locked

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 05-03-2011 at 04:49 PM  
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

@ Icecream.

11 years ago brah. 11 years.
Old 05-03-2011 at 04:54 PM   #126
Icecream
Account Locked

Yes, but computers still can't think like humans. I am not rooting out a possibility for that, but it's just no the fact today.

You just can't have a conversation with a computer where it actually thinks for itself and speaks its mind because it doesn't have a mind. It could happen in the future.

Anyway, let's get back to the Bin Laden story. This thread got drifted so much just because I mentioned (not talked about but mentioned) Ron Paul, then some guy called him stupid, then I said he's not stupid because he has an MD, which is true.
Old 05-03-2011 at 04:55 PM   #127
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
No they just don't want people to see is corpse.

They could have kept the body for a few days and showed it to the public, just like they did with Che Guevara or Taliban Commanders.

Then, some people will say :"Oh they couldn't have kept the body or USA's population might be in danger" Well, that's not true because Al Qaeda couldn't do much anyway from 2010-2011.

The US govt say that they might not release the photos because they are too gruesome...

CNN and other news channels always show gruesome pictures.

The US govt are liars and what's funny is that the majority of Americans are so gullible.

I think Osama bin Laden was killed a long time ago, Obama is using his death for many reasons like boost of votes for 2012 presidency, possible hastening of US troops withdrawal and other reasons.

Why should we believe a government which lied so much for so long.

Ex: Keeping the body for a few days is a health hazard, essp in a warmer climate. They also, at the time, had no real idea as to his health, or any diseases he might be carrying/could spread to people around it. Plus, I doubt a body, unless carefully preserved (I doubt that sort of apparatus was available either on the ground, due to the sensitivity of the body's identity, or the aircraft carrier), can be identified after a few days, and then there's no point in keeping it. They took pictures, for sure, we just need to see them. But even that wouldnt matter anyway - I'm sure you'd point out how they were PSed or something.

So really, there's no point in keeping the body. People who are going to believe it don't need to see the nasty pictures. And people who have it in their minds to say it didn't happen are going to come up with another explanation anyway.

tl;dr

I think you're going out of your way to confuse what was probably, and most logically a practical consideration into a conspiracy theory. Please try harder. Show how the DNA spells "OBAMA IS A LIAR, OSAMA IS ALIVE 666 SATAN" or something.
Old 05-03-2011 at 05:00 PM   #128
Icecream
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Ex: Keeping the body for a few days is a health hazard, essp in a warmer climate. They also, at the time, had no real idea as to his health, or any diseases he might be carrying/could spread to people around it. Plus, I doubt a body, unless carefully preserved (I doubt that sort of apparatus was available either on the ground, due to the sensitivity of the body's identity, or the aircraft carrier), can be identified after a few days, and then there's no point in keeping it. They took pictures, for sure, we just need to see them. But even that wouldnt matter anyway - I'm sure you'd point out how they were PSed or something.

So really, there's no point in keeping the body. People who are going to believe it don't need to see the nasty pictures. And people who have it in their minds to say it didn't happen are going to come up with another explanation anyway.
They can keep the body in a freezer. It's really easy. Or they could just put it in a coffin. Notice the word "believe". That's what people do when there is no physical proof.

It's just a cover up. I don't believe the government. They lie too much. If they showed Proof, (like letting journalists see the body like what happened with dead Taliban commanders) or kept the body like what they did with Che Guevara.

It's like a person who lies so much. That person is going to tell you he or she has a gun in his/her bag. You will doubt that person, so he or she has to show the gun.

This is what you government worshipers do : Labeling everyone who wants proof. (He's a conspiracy theorist, he's a terrorist, a satanist)

I am not saying he's alive. I just don't believe the Government. If they showed a video of his body like they did when US special forces killed that important Taliban Commander. They showed that commander's body to lots of journalist.

Just go look up Mullah Dadullah

Last edited by Icecream : 05-03-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-03-2011 at 05:55 PM   #129
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Notice the word "believe". That's what people do when there is no physical proof.
quote of the year
Old 05-03-2011 at 06:02 PM   #130
Rudiger

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
I am not saying he's alive. I just don't believe the Government.
The US government doesn't care what you believe. They wanted Osama dead so he would be dead, not so they could prove they did it to crackpots on the internet.

No matter what they did, people would doubt them, so why would they go to any extra lengths?

Mahratta likes this.
Old 05-03-2011 at 06:45 PM   #131
Icecream
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudiger View Post
The US government doesn't care what you believe. They wanted Osama dead so he would be dead, not so they could prove they did it to crackpots on the internet.

No matter what they did, people would doubt them, so why would they go to any extra lengths?
OF course he is dead. Jeez, I am not saying he's alive. I am just saying I don't believe the US govt killed him yesterday or before yesterday.

One of the Taliban's spokesman said that they don't think the is dead and they want proof from the US (source Al Jazeera)

People will doubt the govt ? Well, let me see why ... ummm... all the lies they said ?

If they showed his body like they did with Mullah Dadullah within 24 hours of his death, then I would believe them.

So lets compare A-Mullah Dadullah (important Taliban commander) and B-Osama Bin Laden.

When A was killed, his body was shown to the world within a day.
When B was killed, his body was thrown in the sea with the excuse of Al Qaeda wanting to use his tomb as a shrine and recruitment tool which is contradictory to US govt wanting to release bin Laden video found in his mansion.

And now they say the pictures are too gruesome to be released
Old 05-03-2011 at 07:02 PM   #132
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

One mass murderder fanatic down, 213415355 more to go...
Old 05-03-2011 at 07:27 PM   #133
Icecream
Account Locked

BREAKING NEWS !

The USA killed Big Foot. There isn't any proof or a picture for it but you just gotta believe because the government never lies.