RIP OSAMA bin laden

Old 05-03-2011 at 07:37 PM   #136
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
BREAKING NEWS !

The USA killed Big Foot. There isn't any proof or a picture for it but you just gotta believe because the government never lies.

Amaryll, Revolution1 like this.
Old 05-03-2011 at 08:04 PM   #137
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

RIP ? More like RIH
Old 05-03-2011 at 09:34 PM   #138
TedMosby

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
BREAKING NEWS !

The USA killed Big Foot. There isn't any proof or a picture for it but you just gotta believe because the government never lies.
Link or it didn't happen.
Old 05-03-2011 at 10:31 PM   #139
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
OF course he is dead. Jeez, I am not saying he's alive. I am just saying I don't believe the US govt killed him yesterday or before yesterday.

One of the Taliban's spokesman said that they don't think the is dead and they want proof from the US (source Al Jazeera)

People will doubt the govt ? Well, let me see why ... ummm... all the lies they said ?

If they showed his body like they did with Mullah Dadullah within 24 hours of his death, then I would believe them.

So lets compare A-Mullah Dadullah (important Taliban commander) and B-Osama Bin Laden.

When A was killed, his body was shown to the world within a day.
When B was killed, his body was thrown in the sea with the excuse of Al Qaeda wanting to use his tomb as a shrine and recruitment tool which is contradictory to US govt wanting to release bin Laden video found in his mansion.

And now they say the pictures are too gruesome to be released
So you're going to believe a lone, uncited Taliban dude over the entire govt of the US? Not to mention this guy is a spokesman, you know, a person specifically designated to spin things the right way. Really, now? You realize the US is responsible to groups ike NATO, its allies, the UN etc. Not one of these institutions seem to have doubted these claims, and I would expect they would have more info than the average citizen, probably already have the pics and DNA printouts. If not, then I would also expect at least some of these institutions to conduct independent reviews soon. Hints of neither have been seen.

And for lies, how about all the lies the Taliban have made? How they've completely bastardized a religion and, in no small part, caused to be to misinterpreted and misrepresented? And you're going to believe this one Taliban guy over the US govt.

What would displaying the body do? Nothing. Why should the US bother, waste its resources and possibly entice further outrage over it? If they cover the face to make it less gruesome, no one will believe its him. If they show it, they'll just say it can't be verified/an impostor (blood, bruises, whatever else obscuring the view). If they showed a cleaned up face, oh that's photoshopped of course.

BTW, "I don't believe the US govt killed him yesterday or before yesterday." What does that even mean? Before yesterday = anytime before yesterday, ie anytime from the big bang to now, hence implying you think he's still alive.

/at least give us a somewhat reasonable alternative to "they're lying cuz the US govt lies and this Taliban guy says otherwise"
Old 05-03-2011 at 10:31 PM   #140
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Yes, but computers still can't think like humans. I am not rooting out a possibility for that, but it's just no the fact today.
That's not the point. You don't need to be a human to diagnose diseases. You've completely changed the point in your generalization.

Old 05-03-2011 at 10:42 PM   #141
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Also, to get away from the debating, this website is sufficiently lulzy:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/20-be...he-osama-drama

Eternal Fire likes this.
Old 05-03-2011 at 10:46 PM   #142
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Also, to get away from the debating, this website is sufficiently lulzy:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/20-be...he-osama-drama
Love that. This one is my favourite, I think. I like Social Network memes.

Old 05-03-2011 at 10:47 PM   #143
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Is it just me or do new posts not show up sometimes?
Old 05-03-2011 at 10:48 PM   #144
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
Is it just me or do new posts not show up sometimes?
Do you mean you can't get to the page where the new posts are? You have to change your settings so that newest are displayed first.

Eternal Fire, L'Étoile, RememberTwce all say thanks to alh24 for this post.

Old 05-03-2011 at 11:18 PM   #145
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
What would displaying the body do? Nothing. Why should the US bother, waste its resources and possibly entice further outrage over it? If they cover the face to make it less gruesome, no one will believe its him. If they show it, they'll just say it can't be verified/an impostor (blood, bruises, whatever else obscuring the view). If they showed a cleaned up face, oh that's photoshopped of course.
I am not going to defend the Taliban, but if they were bffs with bin Laden ...

Yeah because killing him isn't going to cause more of an outrage.

Yeah because posting a picture costs so much resources, time and effort...

Yeah there is no point in showing his corpse to the world because there are deniers. Yeah, there is no point showing to the world the death of Mullah Dadullah because there are deniers... No point in showing videos of the Moon Landing because they are deniers. No point for scientists to talk about Global warming because they are deniers...

But you're right. It can't be verified. His body was dumped in the sea. And let's not forget, no civilized person in the world ever met Osama bin Laden (sarcasm)

Last edited by Icecream : 05-03-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2011 at 11:21 PM   #146
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
BREAKING NEWS !

A mythological creature? Really?
Dude, you make it rather hard to believe you're not trolling.

Old 05-03-2011 at 11:24 PM   #147
Icecream
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
A mythological creature? Really?
Dude, you make it rather hard to believe you're not trolling.

Like posting a picture of a panda isn't trolling
Old 05-03-2011 at 11:36 PM   #148
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Yeah because killing him isn't going to cause more of an outrage.
There's a balance - the potential 'negatives' of killing bin Laden were far outweighed by the potential 'positives'.

Quote:
Yeah there is no point in showing his corpse to the world because there are deniers. Yeah, there is no point showing to the world the death of Mullah Dadullah because there are deniers... No point in showing videos of the Moon Landing because they are deniers. No point for scientists to talk about Global warming because they are deniers...
First, you're comparing apples to oranges and beyond here. I hope you see that. Anyway, that's not particularly relevant to my main point, so I'll leave that bit...
This 'denial' movement you're speaking of (about bin Laden, here) is hardly significant. If it was significant, we'd probably see a great deal more.

Again, you're not thinking of the balance - either you hold those that dictate American policy in very low intellectual regard (a mistake, I think, as they're probably some of the "brightest" people in their respective disciplines) or you're not thinking of the balance they're keeping in mind.
The 'denial' movement simply isn't important enough to warrant annoying the far-too-easily-annoyed fundamentalists in the Muslim world.

Old 05-03-2011 at 11:44 PM   #149
Icecream
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
First, you're comparing apples to oranges and beyond here. I hope you see that. Anyway, that's not particularly relevant to my main point, so I'll leave that bit...
This 'denial' movement you're speaking of (about bin Laden, here) is hardly significant. If it was significant, we'd probably see a great deal more.

Again, you're not thinking of the balance - either you hold those that dictate American policy in very low intellectual regard (a mistake, I think, as they're probably some of the "brightest" people in their respective disciplines) or you're not thinking of the balance they're keeping in mind.
The 'denial' movement simply isn't important enough to warrant annoying the far-too-easily-annoyed fundamentalists in the Muslim world.
Apples and oranges are both fruits...

You are assuming that the effort of showing proof is costly and painful.
It is not. How hard is it to show a live video of his corpse before dumping it into the sea?

I am not saying the government is made up of idiots. No the govt is made up of smart folks, but the majority of the population is dumb.

You speak of denial ? Yes I deny because I want proof. I don't believe a government which lied for so much and for so long. Believing happens where there is no proof.

Last edited by Icecream : 05-03-2011 at 11:50 PM.

Afzal, andrewjdg, mohammyt like this.
Old 05-03-2011 at 11:47 PM   #150
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
Do you mean you can't get to the page where the new posts are? You have to change your settings so that newest are displayed first.

yes I've been having this problem too. Thank you so much for the solution, i never knew you could do that.