MacInsiders Logo
Old 05-03-2011 at 01:20 AM   #106
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
I disagree with you.

Intelligence means that you are able to learn and excel in a given situation. Sound about right?

Okay so. I can handle just about everything I've come across in school (bio, chem, math, etc.) with a fair bit of ease but every time I've tried to learn an instrument, I've failed miserably.

Does this not mean I am fairly intelligent in one area and not intelligent in another?
No that definition was given to make people feel better about themselves.

Learning an instrument is mostly about physical practice. That's like saying, being able to "dunk" in basketball is intelligence. There are tactics involved in dunks too.
Old 05-03-2011 at 08:24 AM   #107
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
T
I have never seen or heard of a computer being able to learn something by itself. In other words, no computers can conduct discoveries or learn by self-teaching (witch all med students have to go through).

Again, you have failed to bring a proper definition of "intelligence". It seems that all of you are not talking about the same thing. And stop using circular logic : "Oh because your argument doesn't stand up, think of a new one." You're the one who doesn't seem to know what intelligence is.

Omg, I have to teach to you guys how to debate...

DEFINE your main terms. In this case, the main term is intelligence. One of you is referring to intelligence as the ability to memorize, lead or communicate. Typical ignorance. Decide on one sound definition before you talk nonsense.
In your eagerness to churn out personal attacks, you missed the point entirely.

If you had read the post before responding, you would have seen that I was asking you whether that was the definition you were going by. I don't think you've responded adequately in the slightest, so I won't add much to my previous post beyond 'read my old post again'.

Old 05-03-2011 at 08:29 AM   #108
Mahratta
Elite Member

I would 'edit', but the interface won't let me...

Anyway, I noticed you had a small point about 'learning' new material. Of course computers can learn in precisely the same way medical students do - in fact, they can probably learn in a more "intelligent" way (I'm still waiting for you to accept or reject a definition) than most students. Give them a set of biological 'axioms' and 'rules of inference' and then give them lecture and textbook equivalents (the same things you'd give a student), perhaps delivered differently, and they should be able to rote memorize concepts no problem. Indeed, they'd probably be better problem solvers than most students in that situation, given the same amount of information.

BlakeM, Eternal Fire like this.
Old 05-03-2011 at 11:10 AM   #109
Crypt

Liked: 1 Time

I found all the "revelations" to be quite shady, so i looked up what Iran has to say about this.
Check this out:
http://www.presstv.ir/detail/177872.html
Being a muslim myself, I agree with the fact that no one is buried in water, even if its osama .
and the fact that they held it 1am (local time) -- i find that sketchy.
And the pictures, i believe they were released much earlier, and then removed.
So if this is all a ploy, then trump will be playing his cards very soon....
Old 05-03-2011 at 11:19 AM   #110
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
Yeah, you gotta be stupid to get good grades, get an M.D, go through residence and than perform many medical procedures. If that's stupidity, then you guys have the brain power of a rat.
To get an MD you might not be stupid but you don't have to be smart.

Getting an MD is more about sacrificing your health, sanity, social life and any fun you have.
If you can successfully do that, you'd be volunteering, working, doing research, getting good grades, and you'd have a better chance to get into med school than any "smart" person just because that smart person still wants to have a life. As long as you aren't a total moron and can present yourself moderately well in interviews you'd be more likely to get in, and once you're in;

More sacrifice - sacrifice your health, old friendships, and any fun to ensure you continue studying every waking moment.

Then as a resident: sacrifice your sleep, which leads to worse health conditions, sacrifice your well being (in terms of stress, eating habits, etc), and hey look! You're an MD! Congratulations!

No intelligence required.

Eternal Fire, Mahratta like this.
Old 05-03-2011 at 01:46 PM   #111
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypt View Post
I found all the "revelations" to be quite shady, so i looked up what Iran has to say about this.
Check this out:
http://www.presstv.ir/detail/177872.html
Being a muslim myself, I agree with the fact that no one is buried in water, even if its osama .
and the fact that they held it 1am (local time) -- i find that sketchy.
And the pictures, i believe they were released much earlier, and then removed.
So if this is all a ploy, then trump will be playing his cards very soon....
The US was saying the burial was at sea because no county (at least the ones they asked, including his native Saudi Arabia) wanted the body. They were for sure not going to bring it to the US, so I guess international waters were the only option they had left. 1 am local time is probably a similar issue, they probably wanted to get back home, debrief and announce it ASAP, I can't see the carrier floating around for hours to bury the body at the right time, essp considering who it was. Plus counterattacks might have been a possibility...

I'm not up on Islamic burial procedure, but it seems like the sea was the least worst/one of the few possible options.

/I wouldn't read too much into it. Looks like they're talking about releasing legit pics, they have a few of the war room/whatever you want to call it with Obama and Co. during the up.
Old 05-03-2011 at 02:10 PM   #112
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

I hear he's alive and the government is training him to take out the pope, Zoolander style.

Last edited by ShouldBeStudying : 05-03-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-03-2011 at 02:11 PM   #113
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldBeStudying View Post
I hear he's alive and the government is training him to take out the pope.
Site your corce
Old 05-03-2011 at 02:15 PM   #114
3am Coffee

Liked: 155 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
To get an MD you might not be stupid but you don't have to be smart.

Getting an MD is more about sacrificing your health, sanity, social life and any fun you have.
If you can successfully do that, you'd be volunteering, working, doing research, getting good grades, and you'd have a better chance to get into med school than any "smart" person just because that smart person still wants to have a life. As long as you aren't a total moron and can present yourself moderately well in interviews you'd be more likely to get in, and once you're in;

More sacrifice - sacrifice your health, old friendships, and any fun to ensure you continue studying every waking moment.

Then as a resident: sacrifice your sleep, which leads to worse health conditions, sacrifice your well being (in terms of stress, eating habits, etc), and hey look! You're an MD! Congratulations!

No intelligence required.
Don't you want to be an MD? Why are you bashing so much
Old 05-03-2011 at 02:19 PM  
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Last edited by mfattal : 05-03-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-03-2011 at 02:19 PM   #115
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Site your corce
http://twitter.com/#!/donaldjtrump
Old 05-03-2011 at 02:33 PM   #116
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3am Coffee View Post
Don't you want to be an MD? Why are you bashing so much
I wouldn't call that bashing. It's just like saying you don't need to know how to analyse Foucault in a math course, or know how to work with Galois extensions in an English course. You don't really need to "think" (here, I mean 'do what a computer can't') to get an M.D.

Of course, an M.D. is an admirable degree - it requires hard work and dedication. But our idealization of doctors has to stop somewhere - it seems like many forumers think a doctor is some sort of super-genius who could solve the problems of theoretical physics, revolutionize our philosophical paradigms and more, but just can't be bothered because they're doing so much "good" and "important" work helping people.

If saying otherwise is 'bashing', then yes, I suppose that's exactly what we're doing.

Last edited by Mahratta : 05-03-2011 at 02:48 PM.

Biochem47 likes this.
Old 05-03-2011 at 03:10 PM   #117
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
omg check the headlines !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

he is alive
www.CNN.com

WOW

if u cant find it look here
http://www.youtube.com/mfarabcomedy
Even the hardcore conspirators have more sense than you...

Eternal Fire likes this.
Old 05-03-2011 at 03:10 PM   #118
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Well yeah I'm not saying it's easy to get an MD I'm just saying you don't have to be a genius to do it.

I know a few MD's and they're smart, hard working students, but I don't see how they're sooo much smarter than people who took social science or humanities in undergrad. My point is getting an MD is more about sacrifice, perseverance and hard work rather than natural innate ability.
Old 05-03-2011 at 03:31 PM   #119
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

lol people are already making songs about his "resurrection"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T79YJDtV32w

myroodle says thanks to Eternal Fire for this post.