MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions about Mature student admission mikenogo First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-21-2011 08:26 AM
Mature student admission tatertots First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 11-09-2010 03:29 PM
Mature Student question(s) reeves First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-09-2009 02:35 AM
Where to get info for application for mature student ? HeatherH General Discussion 8 02-26-2009 03:30 PM

Road to med school for a mature student

Old 01-13-2013 at 03:58 PM   #16
SydWitches
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schen View Post
I never said a 3.0 GPA is low in engineering. To clarify, a 3.0 GPA is low compared to other applicants applying in the same pool.

I've never had experience in an engineering program so I can't judge whether is 3.0 GPA is low or high. But from what I've heard, medical schools don't account for a low GPA because of a particular program's workload or difficulty. A person in music with a 3.0 GPA and a person in engineering with a 3.0 GPA won't have any differences between them in the medical school committee's eyes.
well that's stupid, wouldn't you say.
Old 01-13-2013 at 04:06 PM   #17
hilton

Liked: 42 Times

There's a difference between negativity and being realistic, though.
Old 01-13-2013 at 04:17 PM   #18
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

First off, why are people questioning her reasons? That's not really relevant and not for you to judge. I'd say doing what makes you happy is a hell of a lot better than spending the rest of your life regretting not even trying.

Also, every year people in their late thirties and sometimes even older, are admitted into medical school. So no, she's not "too old".
Old 01-13-2013 at 04:36 PM   #19
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

The fact that you didn't mention MCAT and bring up high school marks in your first post means you haven't put much thought into this whole endeavor.

My immediate 'advice' without knowing your capabilities is that you might try starting to pursue a nursing (or other supportive worker discipline) to get back into the swing of things, and then think about the medical school route. Getting those marks in elec eng is commendable, and helps, but 3.0 is not very competitive, considering many people have at least 3.5-3.9, coming from an easier program.

Going through medical school at your age isn't exactly practical, but doing something similar is definitely possible. If by 'your kids are school going', you mean they're going to college themselves, and are not just entering elementary/high school, then that seems great, but if you're going to have the stress of school to deal with... its a very un-ideal thing to take away from your children.

hilton likes this.
Old 01-13-2013 at 06:28 PM   #20
hilton

Quote:
First off, why are people questioning her reasons? That's not really relevant and not for you to judge. I'd say doing what makes you happy is a hell of a lot better than spending the rest of your life regretting not even trying.
How about you don't question my reasons for questioning her reasons? That's not really relevant and not for you to judge.

Quote:
Also, every year people in their late thirties and sometimes even older, are admitted into medical school. So no, she's not "too old".
I'd like to see some citations on that.

Quote:
The fact that you didn't mention MCAT and bring up high school marks in your first post means you haven't put much thought into this whole endeavor.
This is exactly what I think as well. Not only that, but volunteering, shadowing, reference letter, ass kissing, the whole nine yards... it takes more than just "I wanna go be a doctor" to become one.
Old 01-13-2013 at 06:32 PM   #21
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilton View Post
How about you don't question my reasons for questioning her reasons? That's not really relevant and not for you to judge.

I'd like to see some citations on that.

This is exactly what I think as well. Not only that, but volunteering, shadowing, reference letter, ass kissing, the whole nine yards... it takes more than just "I wanna go be a doctor" to become one.
I wasn't questioning your reasons. In fact, my comment wasn't solely directed at you anyways.

If you want citations, google the statistics. I know McMaster releases them every year, other schools may as well.
Old 01-13-2013 at 06:33 PM   #22
hilton

Quote:
If you want citations, google the statistics. I know McMaster releases them every year, other schools may as well.
Putting the burden of proof on me after you made the claim? Wow.
Old 01-13-2013 at 07:48 PM   #23
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Putting the burden of proof on me after you made the claim? Wow.
Nice to know you don't actually care what the sources are.
This isn't court, I don't need to prove anything to you. If you care about the sources, they are easily accessible. If you don't, it's not worth my time to look them up again to post the links.

Anyways, in an attempt to add something productive and on-topic, not everyone would be able to go back to school, let alone med school, as a mature student. It takes a certain kind of person, and also depends on your circumstances, Asma. No one here knows either, and at this point you've probably got all the help any of us can give you. I'd strongly recommend discussing your specific situation with admissions people at various universities. Start with medical school admissions offices specifically, and then if necessary work your way back to undergrad or grad admissions offices. It's better to know what the med schools expect upfront.
Old 01-13-2013 at 07:58 PM   #24
*spark*

Liked: 55 Times

I don't know if this has already been mentioned but have you ever thought of getting a masters in biomedical engineering? It's easier to get into especially since you have a degree in electrical engineering, which ties into a lot of the topics. And the research experience would be great for the medical school application, if you eventually decide to take the MCAT and go for it. Also, I think it would be beneficial if you had some more recent and relevant education which would give you a big advantage when you apply.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose.

Asma K says thanks to *spark* for this post.

Asma K, jim1 like this.
Old 01-13-2013 at 10:54 PM   #25
ofomkcidtae
Account Locked

Liked: 47 Times

OP don't listen to all the nay sayers out there, there is always a way. Contact a academic advisor. I have seen old people in my program (40-50 ish) in some courses, if they can do it, so can you.

Just ask your self this, am I motivated to accomplish my goals?

This is what Bane would say!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E781QE7ZQK8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by ofomkcidtae : 01-13-2013 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Videolink
Old 01-13-2013
ofomkcidtae
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-13-2013 at 11:01 PM   #26
ofomkcidtae
Account Locked

Liked: 47 Times

Video Fail :@

Old 01-13-2013 at 11:11 PM   #27
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofomkcidtae View Post
Video Fail :@
"It's okay lol, what you do is just copy and past whatever is after the "v=", so in your case it's this: E781QE7ZQK8
Just copy and past it in the youtube icon as you did earlier. "

Last edited by Leeoku : 01-14-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2013 at 11:47 AM   #28
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

I'd say to go to PA school unless you are dead set on having Dr. in front of your name.
Old 01-14-2013 at 03:20 PM   #29
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
I'm not trying to start anything, but don't you see that you've just defeated your own argument? You're right. They're not relevant, and as such...

The OP could very well have responded to your initial question with "How about you don't question my reasons for wanting to go to med school? That's not really relevant and not for you to judge."

On topic: just want to throw in some encouragement to the OP. I personally know nothing about med school, but if it is feasible for you and your family, go for it! You never know.