MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Admission Questions teedee First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 02-19-2011 09:10 AM
Mature student admission tatertots First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 11-09-2010 03:29 PM
Admission Questions (Health & Life Sciences) Damian-F First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-15-2010 11:29 PM
Mature Student question(s) reeves First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-09-2009 02:35 AM
Where to get info for application for mature student ? HeatherH General Discussion 8 02-26-2009 03:30 PM

Questions about Mature student admission

Old 09-20-2011 at 10:23 AM   #1
mikenogo

Liked: 0 Times

Questions about Mature student admission
Hi all, I am new to this forum and I would like to ask couple of questions in regards to applying to a specific program I would die to be in...
First off, I am 20 years old and since graduating from high school I have not been interested (or just haven't decided my career direction) for 2 years.
Now I am fully aware of what direction I want to go to and have decided to follow the path of ultrasonography (Medical Radiation Sciences) in 2012, My dad is an ultrasound technician and I would like to work along with him at a clinic after I graduate.
The problem comes whether or not they would accept my application and processed as a first year student? Or will I be considered a 'Mature Student'? My high school average is around 86-87 and I am hoping that this would be enough to get into this program..(yes I do meet the pre-req for this)
Based on what I have read so far, all I need to do is go back to my high school, request for my transcript and use it to apply through OUAC website. But I would like to confirm will I even have a chance in getting in at first place?

If I had a wish I would wish to be accepted into this program lol.
thanks in advnace!
Old 09-20-2011 at 10:29 AM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

These are the pre-reqs: Six Grade 12 U/M courses including:

ENG4U
SBI4U
SCH4U
One of : MHF4U, MCV4U*
One of: MHF4U, MCV4U*, SPH4U*
*Note: Both MCV4U and SPH4U are strongly recommended.

Anticipated Average Cutoff is 82-85%

You wouldn't be considered a mature student, because that starts at 21 yrs old. Here's the FAQ page regarding the program for those who aren't just graduating high school: http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/Schools/...applicant.html
Your best bet would be to contact the Registrar's office for further info.
Old 09-20-2011 at 10:44 AM   #3
mikenogo

Liked: 0 Times

Hmm, I have to go visit the registrars office sometime soon to see what options I have.
I personally have no other interests other then becoming an ultrasound tech at the moment, but considering that there are barely any other universities that offer specialized programs in this criteria, I have to seek other (back-up) options just incase if I don't get accepted next year...
sigh life is hard LOL
thanks for the quick response!
Old 09-20-2011 at 11:11 PM   #4
eccentrikkk

Liked: 8 Times

If you don't have the program prereq's ie. highschool courses needed, then I'm pretty sure you can apply to Mac but you'll have to take whatever equivalent courses they offer to the prereq's you're lacking... Also 21 is considered a mature student, and as a mature student you're limited to enrolling only as a part-time student which will take longer for you to complete your program.

Contact the school about further information as to what your options are. I applied to Mac when I was 20 and they were very helpful with informing me about the process to apply, what prereq's I needed for the program/courses I was interested in taking. Keep in mind in first year you're technically not in a program, after first year is when you are in a program based on your marks in the uni courses that are prereq's for the program you wish to be in.
Old 09-21-2011 at 07:18 AM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Just a note that you can't enroll in MedRad as a part-time student.
Old 09-21-2011 at 08:26 AM   #6
kristopherk

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenogo View Post
Hi all, I am new to this forum and I would like to ask couple of questions in regards to applying to a specific program I would die to be in...
First off, I am 20 years old and since graduating from high school I have not been interested (or just haven't decided my career direction) for 2 years.
Now I am fully aware of what direction I want to go to and have decided to follow the path of ultrasonography (Medical Radiation Sciences) in 2012, My dad is an ultrasound technician and I would like to work along with him at a clinic after I graduate.
The problem comes whether or not they would accept my application and processed as a first year student? Or will I be considered a 'Mature Student'? My high school average is around 86-87 and I am hoping that this would be enough to get into this program..(yes I do meet the pre-req for this)
Based on what I have read so far, all I need to do is go back to my high school, request for my transcript and use it to apply through OUAC website. But I would like to confirm will I even have a chance in getting in at first place?

If I had a wish I would wish to be accepted into this program lol.
thanks in advnace!
Hey Mike,

I'm in the Med Rad program myself, and I applied at age 25. You do NOT have to apply as a mature student or only take part-time courses, as people have stated.

Applying as a mature student is an option for persons who either don't have or don't want to use their high school marks / diploma to apply. Since you have graduated from high school, you can always use those marks. I was 7 years out of high school when I applied, and I still chose to apply using my high school marks.

If you have the required courses, your average will be more than high enough to get into Med Rad. My average was about the same and I got an early acceptance.

Good luck, and if you have any specific questions post them or PM me.