MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions about Mature student admission mikenogo First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-21-2011 08:26 AM
Mature student admission tatertots First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 11-09-2010 03:29 PM
Mature Student question(s) reeves First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-09-2009 02:35 AM
Where to get info for application for mature student ? HeatherH General Discussion 8 02-26-2009 03:30 PM

Road to med school for a mature student

Old 01-14-2013 at 04:27 PM   #31
Marooner

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglandfarm View Post
milf?
sounds like it to me. I like those

Old 01-14-2013 at 04:56 PM   #32
madhur7

Liked: 9 Times

Kudos to the OP on following yor dream. I don't think you will be able to get much information here. It would be better to go here and contact them directly. http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/main/contacts.html. Good luck!
Old 01-14-2013 at 08:15 PM   #33
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

Hey Asma,

I graduated with an undergraduate degree from McMaster last year and I currently go to medical school in the states. I read your post and I wanted to give you some advice/insight. Firstly, going to medical school is a big commitment, before you make the decision of applying/interviewing, make sure that you are willing to spend atleast the next 6-7 years of your life (minimum, 4 years of med school and 2 years of lets say a family medicine residency). There are many med students out there in their 30's. But you need to be absolutely sure that this is what you want to do. 6-7 years is a really long time and requires a LOT of commitment. That being said, it can be done.

Secondly, if you want to make it through medical school, you have to be really concentrated on studying. Most med students, including myself, wake up around 7 in the morning and we are constantly studying till midnight (no im not joking). The competition is tough. You said your kids are growing, and that you have time now, but keep in mind that you need a LOT of time. Not just 7-8 hours a day. Most days you will be studying non stop and for weeks at a time.

Lastly (and i hate to say this) but your marks are low. Getting into Canadian med schools requires you to have ridiculously high marks (not sure how your foreign marks will compare?). If you havent already, you can start looking into writing the MCAT.

The above wasnt meant to be discouraging. I really hope that you think this through before you start wasting your time. Ive seen so many people waste their time and then just give up.

Good luck and you can PM me if you have questions

Asma K says thanks to sycoman for this post.
Old 01-14-2013 at 08:30 PM   #34
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marooner View Post
sounds like it to me. I like those
Can you people not let the OP feel uncomfortable posting on here? Thanks. Feel free to PM one another about your likes and dislikes.
Old 01-14-2013 at 10:09 PM   #35
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Hey there! There are tons of people who are non-traditional med-school applicants, many of which go to med after having a family! Here is a GREAT forum that can help answer your questions: http://premed101.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Hope that helps!