MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
phone number Hamilton or Oakville cjdzl Computers & Tech 26 09-04-2010 10:40 PM
Hamilton vs Oakville number VoyozooT General Discussion 42 09-30-2009 09:33 PM
A look at Canada's students, by the numbers: CBC lorend Academics 2 09-01-2009 01:40 PM
question about getting oakville number VoyozooT General Discussion 33 08-28-2009 11:41 PM
Getting to McMaster from Oakville khaotic First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-23-2008 12:44 AM

Rogers LCA change --> oakville numbers

Old 11-19-2009 at 11:28 PM   #16
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

then there is not much hope for it.
Old 11-19-2009 at 11:30 PM   #17
cowcow

Liked: 2 Times

Uh, not when the rumored plan is $30 to $40 for provincial local calling, no contracts, call forwarding, caller id and so on.
Old 11-19-2009 at 11:31 PM   #18
Infinity
Elite Member

well that actually sounds nice... but its basic stuff... I'd get it if they have nice phones.
Old 11-19-2009 at 11:35 PM   #19
cowcow

WIND operates on the 1700 UTMS frequency. Here are the phones which are currently available which support it.

http://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3...e=0&sFreeText=

That's not to say that when future phones come out, the frequency won't be supported.

Also, any T-Mobile 3G phone from the states can also be used since they use the same frequency.

On another note, the stores look really nice.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi... =211121814151

Last edited by cowcow : 11-19-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-19-2009 at 11:43 PM   #20
neosakai86

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
no, if your in hamilton, you can call hamilton and receive calls from hamilton, but people from oakville will have to pay if they call you, as well as people in hamilton will have to pay if they call you.
So basically i can pick up any calls in hamilton and i won't be charged long-d or roaming or w/e right?
Old 11-19-2009 at 11:45 PM   #21
cowcow

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosakai86 View Post
So basically i can pick up any calls in hamilton and i won't be charged long-d or roaming or w/e right?
If you have a hamilton number, then any call you pick up is local since you're in your local calling area.
Old 11-19-2009 at 11:53 PM   #22
neosakai86

i have an oakville number but i'm in hamilton. and my parents call my from toronto. would i be charged anything for picking up the call? and can i pick up calls from hamilton #'s?
Old 11-19-2009 at 11:55 PM   #23
cowcow

Quote:
i have an oakville number but i'm in hamilton. and my parents call my from toronto. would i be charged anything for picking up the call? and can i pick up calls from hamilton #'s?
I'm not too sure as I have an oakville number myself. I believe it's long distance for both since you are picking up your phone outside of your local calling area and your parents are calling a number outside of their local calling area.
Old 11-19-2009 at 11:58 PM   #24
neosakai86

i guess this means i'll have to change my number to hamilton again:( then add long d minutes. aww man...
Old 11-20-2009 at 12:10 AM   #25
Infinity
Elite Member

Quote:
i guess this means i'll have to change my number to hamilton again:( then add long d minutes. aww man...
so depressing.. its like $10 for long distance minutes
Old 11-20-2009 at 10:09 AM   #26
cowcow

Just call in and renegotiate your plan.

I now have:

250 Minutes
Unlimited after 8pm
Rogers 2 Rogers
Caller ID, Voicemail, 2500 txt
100 LD
Call Forwarding

for $39 a month
Old 11-23-2009 at 07:58 AM   #27
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

Just a quick summary of what I've found out:
LD= long distance

Your number: Oakville
If you are in Hamilton
INCOMING - local (no change)
OUTGOING - calling hamilton numbers are local (no change)
- calling toronto/mississauga numbers are LD (no change)
- calling oakville numbers (no matter where the person is) are LD(CHANGED)

If you are in Toronto/Mississauga
INCOMING - local (no change)
OUTGOING - calling hamilton numbers are LD (no change)
- calling toronto/mississauga numbers are local (no change)
- calling oakville numbers are local (no change)

People (depending on where they are when they call you, THEIR number does not matter) calling you (no matter where you are) if you have an oakville number (these are THEIR charges, not yours)
FROM Toronto/Mississauga - local (no change)
FROM Hamilton - long distance (CHANGED)
FROM Oakville - local (no change)

What I'd recommend is people residing in Hamilton should change their number to a Hamilton number (no one in hamilton without a LD plan will be calling you otherwise), people commuting from Toronto/Mississauga should keep their oakville number as they can pick up their calls in their home city and in Hamilton without getting charged (changing their number to a Toronto/Mississauga number has the problem of not being able to pick up their phone in Hamilton, there are no benefits).

No matter what group you're in, I'd try to score some LD minutes (they're usually giving 100 minutes for free and 1000 minutes for $5 if you yell at them a bit from what my friends have told me). These minutes can be used for both outgoing LD calls and incoming LD calls
Old 11-23-2009 at 07:20 PM   #28
hollie012

Hope they're gonna kick Rogers ass.
Old 11-25-2009 at 12:13 PM   #29
xsanx

ok so i just want someone to clarify this..

since i have an oakville number, will calling ANYONE in hamilton charge me or not? and when my parents call me while being in mississauga, will it charge both of us like me for roaming and them for LD? should i just change my number to a hamilton one or is the oakville one still better? ahhhhhhhhhhhh screw rogers!
Old 11-25-2009 at 12:26 PM   #30
cowcow

If you call a hamilton number while you're in hamilton it's local for both. This is the case no matter where you travel in canada. As long as you are in the local calling area of the number you are dialing, it's local.