MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Change Room Etiquette crazyfree Athletics & Recreation 14 01-13-2012 04:26 PM
Sneeze Etiquette RobbyJ General Discussion 26 09-22-2011 08:46 PM
Library Etiquette: Rant creen General Discussion 53 12-12-2009 11:27 AM
Email Etiquette lorend Technology 9 05-26-2008 10:24 PM
Meals And Manners ~ Etiquette Dinner 2007 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-17-2007 11:10 AM

Roommate Etiquette

Old 08-21-2012 at 03:11 PM   #1
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Roommate Etiquette
What are some guidelines for people going on residence for first year?

For example, how much time spending alone in your room is too much time?
How long do you have to nap before its considered too much?
Old 08-21-2012 at 03:22 PM   #2
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times

I don't think there are concrete guidelines for 'living' on residence per say.. because you're just 'living.' How much time is spent in your room is dependent on you..are you an outgoing person, someone who likes to interact with people? If yes, then you will likely want to go out and have fun whenever possible. The opposite of that also holds true.

Also depends on how well you can balance academics with social life. Some people have to study more than others and some less. It is also a matter of your priorities in life. So, I'd say it's a blend of your nature, priorities, lifestyle, tendencies, etc - everything that is unique to every individual.

As for nap, same applies here as well but make sure you get enough sleep at night - that is paramount. Everything else throughout the day is variably individualistic.

Above all, allow yourself to grow and learn over the course of the year instead of looking for guidelines, guidebooks, guides, to parse your way through living on rez in a structured manner.

naval23 says thanks to Phantom for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 08-21-2012 at 03:46 PM   #3
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
What are some guidelines for people going on residence for first year?

For example, how much time spending alone in your room is too much time?
How long do you have to nap before its considered too much?
Sounds like you are really going to miss your mom laying out your clothes and planning your play dates for you...

Is this a troll post? like for real?

Milk.Tea, Phantom, Swampis like this.
Old 08-21-2012 at 04:06 PM   #4
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Napping? In rez, you can nap however much you want. It's not like it would bother your roommates, unless you're obnoxious to them about being quiet while you nap all day or something like that.

Like Phantom said, there are really no guidelines. It's whatever you need/want to do.

naval23 says thanks to Amaryll for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 08-21-2012 at 11:24 PM   #5
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Yup this OP's post is still making me laugh just as much as the first time i read it.

If i dare catch you napping for more than an hour a day,, ill call the napping police!
Old 08-22-2012 at 12:15 AM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

None of those actions have anything to do with your concern because your roommate has the freedom to nap as long as he/she wants same goes for staying alone in their room. They can't kick you out unless for courteous "reasons" then it is better to give some time. Your floor CA's make everyone sign a roommate agreement within the first month so if you have any concerns put it on paper. If conflicts arise talk to your roommate first, if no change then talk to your CA

naval23 says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 08-22-2012 at 11:33 AM   #7
jaymanmac201

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I think most of this stuff will be between you and your roommate to decide. In most cases, there will be some compromise so that you and your roommate can do whatever you feel comfortable with.

naval23 says thanks to jaymanmac201 for this post.
Old 08-22-2012 at 11:43 AM   #8
mitchrawr

Liked: 0 Times

I once took a nap for more than 2 hours. The consequences were never the same.
Old 08-22-2012 at 04:37 PM   #9
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

I was only asking this question because I was reading experiences of other people saying stuff like, how their roommate naps all the time so it's hard to socialize, their roommate is always in their room and never talking. I guess I worded it wrong, I know there are no consequences for napping, but maybe napping too much might be seen as you not wanting to socialize or always staying in your room.

Amaryll and Phantom answered my question, so thanks!