MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet Router jeboi7 General Discussion 21 01-25-2011 08:28 PM
Help setting up router on res Juicebox Computers & Tech 6 01-14-2010 11:42 PM
Wireless router in rez rooms fat~fat Residence & Housing 13 07-07-2009 06:09 PM
DC++ in the wireless network? Ownaginatios General Discussion 7 12-01-2008 10:22 PM

router or ad hoc network in res?

Old 08-20-2012 at 09:49 PM   #1
mmatm

Liked: 0 Times

router or ad hoc network in res?
I was never a fan of using ethernet cables, and I heard that on the 4th floor of my res, the wifi isn't too strong up there.

So my question is, should I bring a router or set-up an ad-hoc network by move-in? Any other opinions are most certainly welcome thanks in advanced!!
Old 08-20-2012 at 09:58 PM   #2
hillary13
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatm View Post
I was never a fan of using ethernet cables, and I heard that on the 4th floor of my res, the wifi isn't too strong up there.

So my question is, should I bring a router or set-up an ad-hoc network by move-in? Any other opinions are most certainly welcome thanks in advanced!!
isn't there no wifi in the residences? so you have to use the ethernet cables
Old 08-20-2012 at 10:15 PM   #3
mmatm

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary13 View Post
isn't there no wifi in the residences? so you have to use the ethernet cables
i hear there is wifi in res, but the walls are too thick for the wireless connection to be strong. I know of some people who (are planning to) use routers or set up an ad-hoc network so they can establish a stronger wireless connection for them.
Old 08-20-2012 at 10:16 PM   #4
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Ethernet is >>>>> wifi, especially for DC++ (Amazing file sharing). Internet speed in rez is the fastest I have ever seen, and wifi is fairly spotty, so as long as you have ethernet it would be much better to use that.

I have heard of people setting up routers before, but it may involve a bit of work but if you really want your wifi it may be worth it if you do it early in the year.
Old 08-20-2012 at 10:19 PM   #5
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

I used a wireless router in first year. couldn't get the regular wifi signal (and when I did, it was much slower) but it was REALLY stupid and only 3 devices could be assigned an IP address. any more and they just wouldn't connect. and the only way to change which devices were allowed was to email UTS and have them reset it so that the first 3 devices to next connect would work.

though I am rather bad at technology things so maybe you'd be able to get a work around if you had more devices.

mmatm says thanks to yoni for this post.
Old 08-20-2012 at 11:45 PM   #6
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni View Post
I used a wireless router in first year. couldn't get the regular wifi signal (and when I did, it was much slower) but it was REALLY stupid and only 3 devices could be assigned an IP address. any more and they just wouldn't connect. and the only way to change which devices were allowed was to email UTS and have them reset it so that the first 3 devices to next connect would work.

though I am rather bad at technology things so maybe you'd be able to get a work around if you had more devices.
I had this issue where both my phones and my laptop took the 3 IPs and I couldn't get any more devices online.

Spoofed my laptop's IP on the router and used however many devices I wanted. Router is definitely the way to go, it'll come in handy in the later years as well if you get a good one.

some good Linksys ones are on sale these days
Old 08-21-2012 at 12:19 AM   #7
Christ

Liked: 9 Times

There's decent wifi in the basement of some rez buildings (Brandon specifically), not sure about the others. The ethernet was a pain at times but like Snowman said it's honestly super fast, I'm personally not looking forward to the internet provided in the house I've rented this year just because the rez connection was amazing haha
Old 08-21-2012 at 12:48 AM   #8
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
There's decent wifi in the basement of some rez buildings (Brandon specifically), not sure about the others. The ethernet was a pain at times but like Snowman said it's honestly super fast, I'm personally not looking forward to the internet provided in the house I've rented this year just because the rez connection was amazing haha
haha, at least you won't have the annoying throttling if you choose a good service provider.