MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
science 2c00 takeabreath Academics 5 12-25-2012 02:11 PM
Science 2C00 Summer school winter02 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 05-05-2012 11:35 PM
Science 2C00 Jamalf Academics 17 11-16-2011 08:04 AM
Science 2C00 Biochem47 Academics 15 06-14-2011 06:00 PM

Science 2C00 help

Old 01-04-2013 at 03:45 PM   #1
Luux

Liked: 2 Times

Science 2C00 help
how is the course Science 2C00 organized? I know this a zero-credit course, but how many days is it usually scheduled for and what sort of work is done in it or how exactly are we evaluated?
Old 01-04-2013 at 03:51 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luux View Post
how is the course Science 2C00 organized? I know this a zero-credit course, but how many days is it usually scheduled for and what sort of work is done in it or how exactly are we evaluated?
One day a week for something like 9 weeks (I don't remember exactly how long, but definitely not the whole term).
Some in-class activities and short reflections. You also need to do a mock-interview and get your resume critiqued. Basically as long as you do all the required activities, you'll pass.
Old 01-04-2013 at 03:58 PM   #3
SHWEDDIES

Liked: 3 Times

It's an awesome course and I highly encourage it! It helps crazy amounts with resumes and cover letters. As long as you attend the 8 classes(1 hr a week for 8 weeks) and hand in a resume and cover letter of a job posting you've passed the course. Some think it's silly to do since it's not for a credit and you still have to pay for it and for the course wear, but I have used this course wear for EVERYTHING including job/volunteer opportunities and grad school applications. One of the coursepacks I will keep my whole life!
Old 01-04-2013 at 04:01 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHWEDDIES View Post
It's an awesome course and I highly encourage it! It helps crazy amounts with resumes and cover letters. As long as you attend the 8 classes(1 hr a week for 8 weeks) and hand in a resume and cover letter of a job posting you've passed the course. Some think it's silly to do since it's not for a credit and you still have to pay for it and for the course wear, but I have used this course wear for EVERYTHING including job/volunteer opportunities and grad school applications. One of the coursepacks I will keep my whole life!
You don't actually have to pay for the course.
McMaster calculates tuition based on number of credits; since the course is zero credits, it doesn't cost anything.

I agree that the courseware was useful though.

AnimeGamer31 likes this.
Old 01-04-2013 at 04:10 PM   #5
Mira710

Liked: 1 Time

What exactly is taught in this course? I've read the description and I get the basic idea, but more specifically, what do you get from it?
Old 01-04-2013 at 04:25 PM   #6
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

You learn about how to highlight your work experience and skill set in a way that will make you look better to a potential employer/supervisor/whatever. It was really about figuring out who you are, what you want, and how to sell that to your target. The course is required for science students who are applying for CO-OP in their program.

I don't have CO-OP in my program, but I took the course anyway in second year because I really had no idea how to write a decent resume or cover letter, and knowing I would have to apply to independent research courses and potentially a thesis later on, I needed the help. I had Kimberley as an instructor, and she gave us a lot of really useful tips on things like interview attire, behaviour, networking with other professionals, etc. You have a resume critique with your instructor towards the end of the course, and I found that extremely helpful in terms of picking out the flaws in my resume and answering questions I had about what to include/exclude. Kimberley is really experienced in that type of human resources/resume critiquing stuff so she was able to spot things very quickly.

Overall, the course has a very light workload, but personally for me it was incredibly useful. It's hard to get a spot though because it's a high demand course due to the co-op requirement.
Old 01-04-2013 at 09:15 PM   #7
Mira710

Liked: 1 Time

Thanks for the info! That does seem like a course that would be really useful.
Old 01-07-2013 at 07:31 PM   #8
Luux

how is the workload, would it be fine to take this along with 5 other courses?
Old 01-07-2013 at 07:47 PM   #9
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luux View Post
how is the workload, would it be fine to take this along with 5 other courses?
According to http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/scc...4-science-2c00, science 2c00 "Can easily be taken concurrently with full course load".
Old 01-07-2013 at 09:33 PM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Lol it doesn't even count as a course, it's meant to be taken with a full courseload.
If you can't spare an hour per week for 8 weeks, then something is seriously wrong
Old 01-07-2013 at 09:54 PM   #11
mastercool

Liked: 22 Times

Does this course fulfill the 'science elective' requirement?

I have to take a science elective and I need something that's pretty easy. Sounds like this fits the bill.
Old 01-07-2013 at 10:37 PM   #12
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercool View Post
Does this course fulfill the 'science elective' requirement?

I have to take a science elective and I need something that's pretty easy. Sounds like this fits the bill.
No, as I stated above, it doesn't count as a course. It's zero units.
Old 01-08-2013 at 08:44 PM   #13
Luux

i looked at the course outline and it mentions how a final assignment has to be completed. If anyone has done this course before, I'd like to get some feedback on this and what this was about?