MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
First year electives KGood First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-14-2010 06:36 PM
2nd year hon. bio electives amandae Academics 12 06-09-2010 06:06 PM
Third Year Electives mnk1988 Academics 15 06-24-2009 11:25 AM
First Year Electives maturegoose Academics 2 08-21-2008 09:07 PM

second year electives

Old 06-04-2008 at 09:19 AM   #16
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Hi Sanduni!

There are multiple choice midterm(s) and an exam at the end.

In the lectures, you'll have four different profs with all different specialties. Each one will walk you through some 'big questions' and at the end, usually leave you with some to think about. Then, in tutorials, you have the opportunity to discuss these big questions with other classmates who all come from different backgrounds. It was interesting for me to see how they used their knowledge from their different fields to explain the question.

I only remember doing two projects in tutorial. The first would be the presentation on one of the lists of topics. The second half would be creating an informative poster that would be put on display in the atrium of the student center.

Other than that, there weren't any big projects. The course is about 4-5 years old now so they are still tweaking the details.

kumars8 says thanks to temara.brown for this post.
Old 06-09-2008 at 08:41 PM   #17
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
Origins 2B03!!!!! The Big Questions class...it's open to all faculties and is actually very interesting! You will get a good grade so long as you do the work. If focuses on the six origins themes: Origins of Space-Time, Life, Structure in the Universe, Species and Biodiversity, Humanity, and the Elements. Because it has such a wide topic subject base, it's bound to interest you in some degree even if you are not a science student.
Do you know the difference between that class and Science 2B03? They have the exact same course description and layout (in terms of lectures and tutorials) but Science 2B03 doesn't require departmental permission or registration in Origins institute to enroll in. Other than that, I really don't see the difference between the two.

Old 06-09-2008 at 09:26 PM   #18
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Oh ya there is no difference between the two; it's the same course. It's called 'origins' if you're the specialization and "Science" if you're not... I took this course awhile ago and forgot about that tidbit =)
Old 06-10-2008 at 12:32 PM   #19
n_kissoon

Liked: 0 Times

Heyy, I am entering 2nd year come this September, and got into Life Sci. Essentially, I know I have to take Bio/Chem and maybe some psych courses. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some specific courses? There's so many to choose from! Especially when you need to take the 2nd year courses for 3rd year....
Thankss!!
Old 06-10-2008 at 12:37 PM   #20
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

hey n_kissoon, it really depends what courses you are interested in. Essentially, if you are going in to second year, the general bio course sthat you need a prereqs for the third year bio courses would be Bio 2B03 - Cell Biology and Genetics -2C03. if you want to take ecology courses in third year, then obviously you would need to take Bio 2F03. if you want to take the physiology courses in third year, you need to take Bio 2A03. It really depends what type of courses you are interested in taking, and then look at those prerequistes, and that should give you a general idea of what you need to take in second year.
hard to suggest you things... what are you interested in taking?

n_kissoon says thanks to Eva C for this post.
Old 06-10-2008 at 12:42 PM   #21
n_kissoon

Hmm, yeah I just need to flip through the course calendar I guess. After finishing my 4 years of hon. life sci, I want to go onto post grad school and go to chiropractor colllege or something to do with pharmacy/pharmacology
Old 06-10-2008 at 03:25 PM   #22
scott000

Liked: 8 Times

Hey guys! Just wondering if some people can share their thoughts or experiences with some of these 2nd Year Electives:

ECON 2PO3 - Economics of Professional Sports
> - - - - -these 2 are 8:30am classes so how important are the lectures?
GEO 2RC3 - Geography of Canada

GEO 2RU3 - Geography of the USA

GEO 2LI3 - Intro to Transport & Economic Activity

ENGLISH 2J03 - Contemporary Pop Culture

COMM 2SB3 - Business Ethics

Or suggest any other electives (from CMST, GEO, EARTH SCI, ECON, etc.)

I am in Commerce and we only get 1 elective in 2nd year so I want to make a good choice.

Last edited by scott000 : 06-10-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-10-2008 at 08:28 PM   #23
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott000 View Post
Hey guys! Just wondering if some people can share their thoughts or experiences with some of these 2nd Year Electives:

ECON 2PO3 - Economics of Professional Sports
> - - - - -these 2 are 8:30am classes so how important are the lectures?
GEO 2RC3 - Geography of Canada

GEO 2RU3 - Geography of the USA

GEO 2LI3 - Intro to Transport & Economic Activity

ENGLISH 2J03 - Contemporary Pop Culture

COMM 2SB3 - Business Ethics

Or suggest any other electives (from CMST, GEO, EARTH SCI, ECON, etc.)

I am in Commerce and we only get 1 elective in 2nd year so I want to make a good choice.
I took Pop Culture a few years ago. The course has changed since I took it, but it is probably one of the easiest English/CSCT courses out there because it is open to all students...and has a lot to do (I find) with common sense.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-10-2008 at 11:06 PM   #24
shikha

who was the professor for natural disasters and gem stones last year?
Old 06-10-2008 at 11:32 PM   #25
n_kissoon

I would just like to add, that Gem stones is NOT an easy elective that everyone thinks it is. My housemate did it this year and said it was tonss of reading and memorization and defs not a bird course. Supposedly, since Geo courses were thoguht to be easy, they are now changing the courses around, thus makign them more dififcult. So I heard.... and have seen (atleast for gemstones, because i saw the outline and all).
I know this didnt answer your question, but I just thoguht I would add the above.
Old 06-11-2008 at 02:34 PM   #26
instantkarma

Too many courses!
I have a lot of different options I'm thinking about.

As of RIGHT NOW, I want to double major in CMST and CSCT, so that makes my schedule for 2nd year ONLY cmst/csct courses.

BUT I have some choices as to which courses I can take and stuff, SO, I need your opinion on these courses:

CMST 2N03/Mmedia 2F03: History of Graphic Design
CMST 2R03: Popular Music after WW2
CMST 2DD3: Media Organizations
CMST 2103: Visual Literacy
CMST 2BB3: Intro to Culture and Communication

Thanks!

Last edited by instantkarma : 06-11-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2008 at 04:09 PM   #27
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Fast, the prof for popular music is...well, some friends of mine took the course and said that the content (which was stuff they really enjoyed outside of class) was completely ruined for them.

If you have any questions about CSCT classes...ask me. I've taken most of them. I think all but three that are offered this year or something.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

zoyy says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-11-2008 at 04:14 PM   #28
instantkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
If you have any questions about CSCT classes...ask me. I've taken most of them. I think all but three that are offered this year or something.
I have to take

CSCT 2M03: Modern Cultures
CSCT 2MM3: Concepts of Culture
CSCT 2P03: Modernity/Postmodernity/Visuality

What are your opinions on these classes?????

(Also, they're all in term 1, so would the course load be ridiculous?)
Old 06-11-2008 at 04:35 PM   #29
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I haven't taken 2P03 but have heard terrible things about it...

2MM3 is taught by Fast. It is all music-related and you must do everything she says exactly the way she says.

2M03 I had taught this past year by Holland. I thought most of the material was very dry...with the exception of Adorno and Horkheimer and Said.

Old 06-11-2008 at 11:21 PM   #30
danman324

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
Hi Sanduni!

There are multiple choice midterm(s) and an exam at the end.

In the lectures, you'll have four different profs with all different specialties. Each one will walk you through some 'big questions' and at the end, usually leave you with some to think about. Then, in tutorials, you have the opportunity to discuss these big questions with other classmates who all come from different backgrounds. It was interesting for me to see how they used their knowledge from their different fields to explain the question.

I only remember doing two projects in tutorial. The first would be the presentation on one of the lists of topics. The second half would be creating an informative poster that would be put on display in the atrium of the student center.

Other than that, there weren't any big projects. The course is about 4-5 years old now so they are still tweaking the details.
Seeing as the course is listed under the science faculty...how science involved is the course? Going into second year commerce, i want an interesting elective that can get me through the year... and this one fits the bill. But if it involves a lot of science type material/thinking, its definetly out of the question.

Thanks,
Dan