MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
selecting courses kirsten..! Academics 8 06-28-2010 09:58 PM
First Year Kinesiology Courses Hanna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-13-2010 06:36 PM
Help for selecting courses!!! tan_90 Academics 3 06-30-2009 07:38 AM
Second Year: Selecting courses kmer Academics 17 06-22-2009 09:07 PM
First Year Kinesiology Courses? (BSc) Mac12 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 06-11-2008 09:03 PM

Selecting Kinesiology First Year Courses!!

Old 06-24-2013 at 05:46 PM   #1
nikkiweck

Liked: 0 Times

Selecting Kinesiology First Year Courses!!
I'm trying to select my courses for Mac kin this september and i am not sure what electives to take. I am going to take math 1LS3, Bio 1A03 and Chem 1A03 but i am wondering what other two electives i should choose. I was thinking about doing a minor in psych which means i would take both first year psych courses, but then i heard that in order to take certain second year courses, from bio and chem, taking bio 1M03 and chem 1AA3 will open up more doors. But i am wondering how necessary courses like cell physiology and biochem are to a kin student. I am thinking about med/physio/chiro for post grad so im not sure what course are necessary or if i should just take some easy electives to boost my average.

I would appreciate any advice, thank you!
Old 06-24-2013 at 06:22 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

There's really no point in taking chem 1A03 if you're not going to take 1AA3.

I'd also recommend both bios just to keep your options open, but you don't necessarily have to take them both this year.

I think you can minor in psych if you only take 1X03, but it really limits your options for upper-year courses.
Old 06-24-2013 at 09:01 PM   #3
kaytuh

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiweck View Post
I'm trying to select my courses for Mac kin this september and i am not sure what electives to take. I am going to take math 1LS3, Bio 1A03 and Chem 1A03 but i am wondering what other two electives i should choose. I was thinking about doing a minor in psych which means i would take both first year psych courses, but then i heard that in order to take certain second year courses, from bio and chem, taking bio 1M03 and chem 1AA3 will open up more doors. But i am wondering how necessary courses like cell physiology and biochem are to a kin student. I am thinking about med/physio/chiro for post grad so im not sure what course are necessary or if i should just take some easy electives to boost my average.

I would appreciate any advice, thank you!
Hello!
I agree with starfish about the fact Chem 1A03 is useless without Chem 1AA3. All upper year Chemistry/Biochemistry courses requires you to have 1AA3.
The Kin students taking upper year Biology courses and Biochemistry are the ones who want to go to Medical School or at least keep that option open. In order to take Biochemistry, you have to take Organic Chemistry, which means you have to have Chem 1A03/1AA3.
Most upper year Biology courses requires you to have Bio 1A03 and Bio 1M03 but not all do. Bio 1M03 was a huge GPA killer so avoid it if you can.
I don't think there's a course by the name of "Cell Physiology," do you mean Cell Biology or Integrative Physiology of Animals? Cell Biology does not require Bio 1M03, just Bio 1A03 and Chem 1AA3 but Integrative Physiology requires Bio 1M03, Bio 1A03, as well as Physics 1B03.

For a Kinesiology student who wants to keep the Medical School option open, you have to use your electives to take so many Med School pre-requisite as well as 2 Psych courses per year. This is definitely doable but it's going to be a lot of work. I suggest looking at the courses required for grad schools here: http://redbooks.sus.mcgill.c a/index.php/Main_Page.
Old 06-25-2013 at 05:22 PM   #4
nikkiweck

Liked: 0 Times

thanks guys! I think I am going to take Chem 1AA3 because it opens up the most options and Bio 1M03 doesn't really seem necessary for me (especially if it doesn't help my GPA). I have room for one more course, can you suggest any easy electives if I don't end up taking Psych 1X03? Also do you know if courses like sport psychology count as psych credit for a minor?
Old 06-25-2013 at 05:27 PM   #5
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

it will be annoying to get prereqs done for professional schools and do kin degree and do psych minor.
Old 06-25-2013 at 05:27 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiweck View Post
thanks guys! I think I am going to take Chem 1AA3 because it opens up the most options and Bio 1M03 doesn't really seem necessary for me (especially if it doesn't help my GPA). I have room for one more course, can you suggest any easy electives if I don't end up taking Psych 1X03? Also do you know if courses like sport psychology count as psych credit for a minor?
Psych 1X03 is as easy as it comes

Check the undergrad course calendar to see what counts/doesn't count towards a minor.