MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what to do if conflicting courses and both courses are very required? killza Academics 11 06-12-2010 05:08 PM
Degree Audit for Level IV Seminar Ballot bieneres Academics 1 03-04-2010 08:18 AM
Education Pays Seminar temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 3 02-05-2009 09:17 AM
Repetition of Courses: Students may repeat courses that have been failed or for which Arnold Academics 2 12-07-2008 04:39 AM
Assistive Technology and Learning Strategies Seminar lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-31-2008 08:32 AM

What are 'seminar' courses like?

Old 12-20-2010 at 05:38 PM   #1
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

What are 'seminar' courses like?
I was wondering if anyone hear can describe what seminar courses are like and how they are different from other kinds of courses. I am taking a class next term and the instructor told me it was gonna be a seminar and so I was curious. Thanks
Old 12-20-2010 at 05:52 PM   #2
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
I was wondering if anyone hear can describe what seminar courses are like and how they are different from other kinds of courses. I am taking a class next term and the instructor told me it was gonna be a seminar and so I was curious. Thanks
well my seminar class has like 10 ppl lol, and we pretty much just research topics and tell the class what we've found. it's pretty awesome, and imo you learn a lot more..but it depends on the class i guess

sinthusized says thanks to ShouldBeStudying for this post.
Old 12-20-2010 at 05:53 PM   #3
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

what class?

12hchhchchahrr
Old 12-20-2010 at 06:27 PM   #4
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I think it depends on your faculty. In Pol Sci, the seminars were about 15 people and a prof. It wasn't like a lecture. We all would talk as a group about the readings, relate them to things happening today, give our opinions and ideas, etc. It's kind of like any Humanities or Soc Sci tutorial from first/second year, but much MUCH better.
I was very nervous to take seminars in my fourth year, but they ended up being my favourite classes! You really get into what you're learning and you become interested, even if it's something you never thought you'd be interested in. I learned more in those seminars than I have in years of courses combined.

sinthusized says thanks to Kathy2 for this post.
Old 12-20-2010 at 06:56 PM   #5
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Depending on what you're taking, usually there are presentations and lots of talking. Big marks for participation

sinthusized says thanks to jo87 for this post.
Old 12-20-2010 at 07:42 PM   #6
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

I have to take my first seminar course during the summer. Seven hour class every Monday where we talk about our events/issues in our practicum and relevant issues related to social work practice. From what I've heard the seminar courses become this small family, every one really supports each other through the semester. I was also told by some upper year students to be prepared to participate the prof may just ask you for your opinion on what the class is talking about, even if you haven't put your hand up, I'm not sure if other seminars are like that, but I'm definitely going to mine over prepared.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

sinthusized says thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.
Old 12-20-2010 at 07:49 PM   #7
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
I have to take my first seminar course during the summer. Seven hour class every Monday where we talk about our events/issues in our practicum and relevant issues related to social work practice. From what I've heard the seminar courses become this small family, every one really supports each other through the semester. I was also told by some upper year students to be prepared to participate the prof may just ask you for your opinion on what the class is talking about, even if you haven't put your hand up, I'm not sure if other seminars are like that, but I'm definitely going to mine over prepared.
seven?!... as in this kind: "7" ?... whoa
Old 12-20-2010 at 07:50 PM   #8
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
No, seven as in 2.
Old 12-20-2010 at 07:51 PM   #9
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
Yup, I'm doing my social work placement in the summer as a block placement. Seminar is 9-4 on Monday (I'm assuming there's going to be a lunch break in between), then placement is Tuesday-Friday from 8-5, unpaid. Then in the fall/winter next year I'm doing a concurrent placement, two days a week in the field and a 3 hour seminar once a week. Block placements cram 6 months of placement into 3 months.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 12-20-2010 at 07:59 PM   #10
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
No, seven as in 2.
thanks for clearing that up

*hopes he can read sarcastic*
Old 12-20-2010 at 08:15 PM   #11
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
That sounds reassuring. Though I tend to be quiet, I took a class with the seminar instructor this past term and a lot of my classmates from that class also enrolled in next term's seminar - and we did feel like a family lol.

thanks for the replies
Old 12-21-2010 at 08:45 AM   #12
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

I love seminar classes, and would definitely take more if I was allowed to! They're really good for meeting new people in your program, I learned a lot more about the topics covered than I would've in a lecture, and it's a great way to get to know professors better (and they're more likely to remember you).

They can differ in structure, though, and I think a lot of that depends on the size of your program. For example, both of my sociology seminar classes had over 20 students (I'm fairly certain that the one had 36, and I think the other had closer to 30 students), where as my religious studies seminar class had about 15 students.

One of my sociology tutorials, we were separated into smaller discussion groups. Every week someone in that group was responsible for leading their group in discussion (which didn't require much more work than doing the readings and coming up with a couple starter questions. The discussion was really informal, and often went off-topic, which was fine by the professor), and then the following week that person had to hand in a paper about the readings and how they apply to different sociological theories. The professor would go around to each group while this was happening and join in on the conversation. When there was about 40 minutes left of class, the leaders would all share one thing that the group discussed with everyone, and we'd have a larger group discussion. It was a lot of fun, really informal, and we all became really close with our smaller group members. Aside from the papers (you had to do two), we had an exam.

In my other sociology class, we were broken into groups, and each week one group would have to do a presentation on that week's topic and readings for approximately an hour to an hour and a half. This was a more elaborate presentation, with power point, videos, etc. After the group's presentation, the professor would do a mini lecture. This seemed more like a normal lecture, and not like a seminar at all. Wasn't really all that fun, and there was no "family-like" feeling afterward. Aside from the presentation, we were marked for participation, an essay, midterm, and exam.

My favourite seminar was for religious studies. Every week we had to do a five page paper on the readings, and then we'd all get together and sit around this giant table and talk about what we read. It was really informal, and a lot of fun. We were marked for the papers (70% of our mark), and participation (30%). Participation for this class was based on a scale of five. If you said five things, you got 100% for that night's class. And the professor was really lenient about what counted for participation.

sinthusized says thanks to AlienSummer for this post.
Old 12-21-2010 at 12:53 PM   #13
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Bio 4X03 was just Dr. O'Donnell lecturing about topcis that were interesting (not textbook), um reading scientific journals, doing write-ups/presentations. For the topics in physiology seminar we had guest lecturers come in to talk about their work.