The Smoking Thread Freija General Discussion 24 10-25-2010 10:09 PM
cutlerly in dorm??? fusionorchid Residence & Housing 8 08-24-2010 11:01 PM

Smoking up in your Dorm

Old 07-17-2011 at 05:42 PM  
AKG5

Liked: 0 Times

Smoking up in your Dorm

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 07-17-2011 at 05:46 PM   #1
Awesomeness

Liked: 42 Times

that is the silliest thing i have heard of. why would you smoke indoors and put everyone's life at risk (by potentially starting a fire). if you do it, you will get kicked out of mcmaster

MCHEDDENITE likes this.
Old 07-17-2011 at 05:58 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

people have been busted but likewise people still do it
Old 07-17-2011 at 06:00 PM   #3
sh00na

Liked: 0 Times

Do it late at night when the CA's are off duty
...and no you won't get kicked out of McMaster. At best you'll get a 'major' for being caught and the worst that can happen is that you'll get transferred to another residence which could be a good thing if they transfer you from a shitty res to a good res like Mary Keyes or something.
Old 07-17-2011 at 06:00 PM   #4
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Speaking as an individual who lived on residence, smoking marijuana is an act that extends beyond just "being caught".

I understand that you and your friend might consider it an enjoyable time, where you can just chill, but what impact are you having on your residence?

Let's go through this, point by point.

1. Fire hazards
No matter how experienced you are or how frequently you smoke weed, you're still smoking while being impaired. Dorm rooms have a lot of flammable material in a very small space. If you, for a second, suffer from a lapse in judgement, suddenly, you're risking the lives of at least 30 to 60 other individuals who not consent to being in such a dangerous situation.

Rewind back a couple of years to the Brandon Hall fire. That also began because of an individual who was impaired in judgment. The damage was extensive, the community was fairly fractured, and dozens of students were needlessly inconvenienced and a lot traumatized because of the irresponsible actions of one individual.

2. The smell
Marijuana stinks up your hall, and your residence. I understand that may not seem like a big deal to you but there are severely asthmatic and allergic individuals who share the space with you, and they should not have to risk health hazards because you are violating the code of conduct you adhere to.

3. The fines and the payments
Because your CA's will find out, they will follow up and you will be fined. If you are caught smoking on residence, with weed on the premises, the last time I checked, you were removed from residence. It is also a Criminal Offence and campus police will charge you under that act.

4. The fact that stoners are not always appreciated in their community because of how much they inconvenience other people and the risk you pose to all those other individuals.

5. The fact that while you are paying for your room, so are at least 200 other individuals who deserve the right to go to sleep at night without being worried about their homes being burned down.

This is a really important issue, and I advise you to take a second and consider your community impact beyond just your own recreational purposes. It is not a wise choice, and really affects many more people than you might think and know. In the absolute worst case scenario, you may be responsible for a lot of unnecessary damage and pain that did not have to happen if you were more responsible with your actions and decisions.

If you need any more information, or want to continue this discussion further, I would love to do so, including providing clarification on any of the points you may need.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

anon491, Ashlie, Awesomeness, Biochem47, InvisoBill, IqzFendi, nerual, SciMania all say thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.

Old 07-17-2011 at 06:03 PM   #5
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh00na View Post
Do it late at night when the CA's are off duty
...and no you won't get kicked out of McMaster. At best you'll get a 'major' for being caught and the worst that can happen is that you'll get transferred to another residence which could be a good thing if they transfer you from a shitty res to a good res like Mary Keyes or something.
This is incredibly unwise advice.
Fires still happen whether or not your CA's are sweeping the building or not.
They are there to help protect and maintain a safe environment for all 200+ paying residents, not just to book or document you.

Also, there are always at least 2 CA's on coverage and if they receive information from other students about marijuana in the building, they will follow up regardless of the time of night. They will also contact Campus Security as per protocol.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Willmountain likes this.
Old 07-17-2011 at 06:17 PM   #6
Mohit
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

If you decide to smoke up in your room please do not do it in your bathroom. I had a couple of pot heads above me during first year and my room smelled horrible every time they blazed.
Old 07-17-2011 at 06:25 PM   #7
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Don't smoke on campus property, period.
Old 07-17-2011 at 06:27 PM   #8
kldv
Just Some Guy

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Don't smoke on campus property, period.
And that's coming from someone who's user name is "herbs"!

Old 07-17-2011 at 06:31 PM   #9
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

I could make my username whatever I like, it doesn't necessarily mean I am in anyway other than having it as my username affiliated with it.

Tl;dr: It was my assigned CS 1.6 name.

Last edited by anonanon987 : 07-17-2011 at 06:36 PM.

kldv likes this.
Old 07-17-2011 at 06:35 PM   #10
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Please don't smoke in residence, you ruin it for everyone else. My neighbours smoked up a lot in their apartment (and even in the stairwells...DISGUSTI NG SMELL and quite unfortunate for parents if they are coming to visit etc.), and the smell was just awful...I told the CA on multiple occasions...I'm not sure their punishment.

Just don't smoke!! Please
Old 07-17-2011 at 06:40 PM   #11
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

I cannot believe this is a serious thread

Old 07-17-2011 at 06:44 PM   #12
Sintos

Liked: 85 Times

Omg guys guess what. This one guy, smoked pot, then died.

Long story short don't smoke pot. It's literally the most useless thing anyone can do. If you want a high... go running, it doesn't kill lung or brain cells and you can't get arrested and a mark on your record which will f*** up your entire life.

Im pretty sure we can't open our windows farther than 4" because of dumbsh***that smoke pot then think they can fly. Spoiler, it doesn't end well.

Oh, and PS with the residence handbook you get it literally says you WILL get kicked out of McMaster University if they catch you with illegal substances... Which weed DOES fall under. And good luck getting into any other university with that on your transcript... MAYBE Guelph or Laurier, but like is practically over by then anyways.

Last edited by Sintos : 07-17-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-17-2011 at 06:47 PM   #13
InvisoBill

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kldv View Post
And that's coming from someone who's user name is "herbs"!

Huh... I've always read that as "her bullshit", like "her B.S.". Needless to say, I always thought the user was a girl... weird
Old 07-17-2011 at 06:49 PM   #14
InvisoBill

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sintos View Post
Omg guys guess what. This one guy, smoked pot, then died.

Long story short don't smoke pot. It's literally the most useless thing anyone can do. If you want a high... go running, it doesn't kill lung or brain cells and you can't get arrested and a mark on your record which will f*** up your entire life.

Im pretty sure we can't open our windows farther than 4" because of dumbsh***that smoke pot then think they can fly. Spoiler, it doesn't end well.

I'd like to know your sources for these pieces of information...

Dopematic, L'Étoile like this.